Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New drink driving ad..

Options
  • 09-12-2005 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Have many of you seen that new drink driving ad.
    "Before you ask yourself are you going to have a drink, think of the questions you might be putting on others" and the ad continues on to show scenes of people in a crash, with paramedics asking questions like "Which one do we cut first" and so on...

This in my opinion is the most powerful ad campaign that ive ever seen, it really put a shiver up my spine (not that I drink drive but you what I mean)

A bit of a pointless thread really I know, just thought id ask what your opinions on the ad are?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I saw it a while back. Don't think I've seen it recently.
    Its a good ad but as usual, it will have little impact on reducing the carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

kbannon wrote:
    I saw it a while back. Don't think I've seen it recently.
    Its a good ad but as usual, it will have little impact on reducing the carnage.

Call me um.. well I dont know the word but that *REALLY* hit me. It scared the crap out of me. Probably because I went through a similar experience (not drink related, but bad accident) 2 years ago.

Hits the spot, so to speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Good ad.. but they make out that one drink is gonna turn you into a killing machine.

They should aim it at the people who have a lot more than the one drink...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the point of the ads is that if you want to drink whether it be one drink or ten then leave the car at home.

Not too many people go to the pub for one drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

It's not bad. Honestly though, they swear that drinking was the number one contributor to accidents. They should use all the money spent on advertising, and put it it's the overtime for cops, and make them breathalize everyone walking into a pub carpark on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday night. Your garanteed to catch a few people.

With the money generated with the few caught, this money should be put into yet more ovetime for the same purpose.

That will hit home alot harder than some TV ads, trust me. Fines are where it effects people, not some ads on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Its funny, you know the Girl Who screams in that add, With the brace around her leg, And tries to take 3 step's. I know her, My brother's Good Mate. She's nice.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The images are good, they're effective, but the start and end are bad. How often do you honestly walk into a pub, keys in hand, and think "I'm going to drink and drive"?

That's not to say a lot of people don't, but 1) The ad is aimed at young drivers, and 2) all young drivers I know consider going drinking and driving to the pub to be mutually exclusive activities - i.e. the ad portrays something that simply does not happen, IMO.

The ads should show a wealthy older man, sitting there laughing with his mates, pint of guinness in his hand, and then heading off blissfully, cue disturbing images, then same older man in shackles, heading to prison. Better effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The best thing they could do is to show the actual aftermath of a crash, dead bodies and injuries, ( a bit gruesome I know but show it after 9 o'clock) but I reckon it would work. I've had to wait for the Fire Brigade to cut people out of car crashes and its not a pretty sight. I would think relatives of dead people wouldn't have a problem either if it helps to save lives. A dose of reality is often the best medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

junkyard wrote:
    A dose of reality is often the best medicine.

Seconded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

very affective ad alright.its quite hard to watch

Advertisement