Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike's been robbed!!1!

• 09-12-2005 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Outside the bike shop on Parnell St!

'twas locked and all, I only went into the ILAC for a couple of minutes :( was witnessed and the guy who saw them told the guards what they looked like, the guards seemed to know exactly who it might be. If only I left the ILAC couple of minutes earlier... :mad:

It was a silver Diamondback M05 with front susp, front disc-brake back normal brake, all shimano gear set, deadly 30- or 36- spoke black wheels(can't remember the manufacturer), suspension seatpost, comfy gel seat and mudguards. Worth a good bit all in(to me at least ¬_¬)

'twas a Kryptonite Kryptkeeper lock too!

This city is a feckin' joke, does anyone except us normal mugs respect the law or the idea of other people's property??

Ah well...

If anyone has any info pleeease PM me ;)

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Do Kryptonite still give a full value replacement if the bike is nicked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Sorry to hear about your bike - do you know how they cracked the lock?

M

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I feel your pain....

someone took the back wheel of my bike in trinity during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

Hope it works out for you!

I used to park there all the time, think that'll be the last :(

Hope those guys get what's coming to them, what scum!! :mad:

Here's a warning on the use of kryptonite locks, some can be opened with pens!! :eek: : In case anyone didn't see it already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 antarcticon

Do Kryptonite still give a full value replacement if the bike is nicked?
    Do they?? That'd be savage!

Must look into it...

• Advertisement

Mucco wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your bike - do you know how they cracked the lock?

M
    Dunno, they took the lock and all :(

I feel your pain....

That's harsh, man.

Walking and buses suck, don't they.

Ferror wrote:
    Hope it works out for you!

I used to park there all the time, think that'll be the last :(

Hope those guys get what's coming to them, what scum!! :mad:

Here's a warning on the use of kryptonite locks, some can be opened with pens!! :eek: : In case anyone didn't see it already...
    Yeah, I knew about that, but Krypts are still the best. They don't use those types of keys anymore either, they're like proper house keys now.

****ing gutted tho, I wouldn't leave it in such a dogde place normally, but I didn't want to bother cycling to the carpark as I was only going to the shops for a few mins :( Laziness will always wreck ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ninja 101

I swear to god that if I ever saw anybody trying to rob my bike one of the two of us wouldn't be walking away form the 'meeting of minds'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

That made me laugh...

Seriously, though, does anyone know what the law is in relation to protecting your own bike from being robbed? Is it permissible to use a certain amount of force? And if so, how much?

By the way, sorry to hear of your loss Anatarcticon. Let us know if the Gardai track down the perps.
    ninja 101 wrote:
    I swear to god that if I ever saw anybody trying to rob my bike one of the two of us wouldn't be walking away form the 'meeting of minds'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

That made me laugh...

Seriously, though, does anyone know what the law is in relation to protecting your own bike from being robbed? Is it permissible to use a certain amount of force? And if so, how much?

By the way, sorry to hear of your loss Anatarcticon. Let us know if the Gardai track down the perps.

You told him to stop. He turned violent. You defended yourself. Assuming its not GBH then you should be fine.

That's fair enough if he hangs around long enough to engage you in discussion. But what if the gentleman in question is cycling away as fast as his polycotton-clad legs can pedal? Would you be within your rights to leg it after him and persuade him to dismount "in a non-verbal manner"?
    Peace wrote:
    You told him to stop. He turned violent. You defended yourself. Assuming its not GBH then you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

That's fair enough if he hangs around long enough to engage you in discussion. But what if the gentleman in question is cycling away as fast as his polycotton-clad legs can pedal? Would you be within your rights to leg it after him and persuade him to dismount "in a non-verbal manner"?

I'd imagine i was chasing him and shouting at him when he fell off the bike in his panic to escape with the stolen property.

You have the imagination of a lawyer, Peace (if that is your real name).
    Peace wrote:
    I'd imagine i was chasing him and shouting at him when he fell off the bike in his panic to escape with the stolen property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Peace wrote:

This actually happened to me a few years ago. I saw my bike disappearing past the window of the bar I worked in, and managed to chase the would-be thief over the wet cobbles in Temple Bar, just catching him as he slipped down gears rather than up as we got to the Quays.

I grabbed the back of the saddle and pushed him off. He bounced up looking to box the headame boss, and get his brother after me and whatnot, but luckily that's where it ended. Takes some restraint though, let me tell you. Last thing you need hanging over your head is a conviction for whipping some two-bit tinker to death with your unravelled lock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

My bike got nicked from my house in Leopardstown a few weeks ago. Was in house at time and everything just no cars out front.
    Now I have to walk 40mins to college :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Bike thiefs are scum......... its like robbing from the poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Sorry to hear about the loss (I'm lucky that it wasn't me).

I read about this somewhere a few years ago. Thought it was only some kryptonite locks that were affected. A quick browse of the web and it turns out that most cylindrical keys can be opened the same way. I have a similar style lock locking a fairly expensive bike (now indoors) . A quick mail to the manufacturer and they're offering to replace it for me. Really glad I read this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

Sorry to hear about the loss (I'm lucky that it wasn't me).

I read about this somewhere a few years ago. Thought it was only some kryptonite locks that were affected. A quick browse of the web and it turns out that most cylindrical keys can be opened the same way. I have a similar style lock locking a fairly expensive bike (now indoors) . A quick mail to the manufacturer and they're offering to replace it for me. Really glad I read this thread.

I'm glad at least SOMETHING good came of it anyway... I guess i'll be staying well clear of cylinder locks in future..

OP: Hope it works out for you, or at least the scum that stole your bike, get horribly maimed while riding it. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Hi...

Sorry for you loss. I've had three bikes stolen in the past 10 years in Dublin...:mad:

I know this has been covered lots of times before but buy 2 good locks. Use the Sold Secure Website to see the ratings of locks. Currently i use 1 Gold & 1 Silver Rated lock. (Which equals 8mins theoretically to remove the 2 locks). The Kryptonite NY3000 (not a circular key model) and a Abus Granit Steel-O-Flex 1000. Each lock goes through the frame and one wheel.

2 locks equals twice the effort for the thief. 2 different types of locks (D-lock and cable) means 2 different types of attack required... So hopefully any would-be thief will just pass my bike and go for something a bit more convenient to steal.

And it seems to work I haven't had a bike stolen in 4 years...

Buying good locks is an essential part of a budget when buying a bike. Cheap locks are useless and shouldnt even be sold imo... or at least should have a big warning sticker on them stating that "a bike thief can remove this lock in 10 secs or less".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

What the hell does that guy want with 1 wheel??

Picture it, christmas day and theres this round package under the tree.
    When the kid opens it, there's anote from Sanata saying that he'll be getting the rest of his bike next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Apparently it's if some poor SOB only looks their biie by one wheel, they can steal that bike, minus the wheel no problem. They then steal your wheel, put it on the stolen bike, and can wheel it out without looking like they stolen half a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sorry for your loss, I've been there myself. I felt so angry when it happened. Sometimes you feel it would be worth having it stolen if you could catch whatever person stole it and have your way with them :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

it would be great if you could buy a lock/device which would emit a really annoying high pitched sound if the lock is opened incorrectly or the bike is removed.
    I'm sure there are plently of flaws with that type of lock, but that's up to some other ingenious soul to sort out, not me!
    It wouldn't stop someone trying to rob the bike in the first place, but at least it will draw attention to them if the alarm goes off, and if you are close by, you might hear it!
    A car alarm for bikes, if you please. Wait, I got it... a bike alarm!
    No doubt something like that already exists, I really should google it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Someone took my whole bike in trinity during the week.That's two in two years.
    I'm ****ing sick of this ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Franky Boy wrote:
    Someone took my whole bike in trinity during the week.That's two in two years.
    I'm ****ing sick of this ****.

How was it secured ?

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

The gardai's attitude towards bike theft is disgraceful. I had mine stolen a couple of months back and I was told by the insurance company that i needed a pulse number from the guards. went back the next day and spoke the the very same guard and he denied ever seeing me or taking my statement the day before. Then got all shirty when i asked him to take my statement again and i need a pulse number.

I don't like this "its going to happen to every cyclist so just accept it" attitude that people have either. Why should i just accept it, do motorists accept car theft as part and parcel of being a motorist?

I'm going to have 2 different locks from now on but sure they'll just cut 1 lock and come back and cut the other lock later on or otherwise the same equipment will cut both. Taking your wheel with you is a good idea but is there something else you can take i wonder? Is there such thing as a detatchable cog or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Use two decent locks. If one is cut, then it's a safe bet that you should lock your bike elsewhere in the future.. or have some sort of surveillance/alarm or something on it.

I don't expect my bike will get nicked, I've got a bloody good chain and padlock & a reasonable U lock. I never lock it in the city center and very rarely leave it locked outside over night. With reasonably sensible precautions, you can reduce the chance of a bicycle being nicked to fairly normal levels!

Gav

• Advertisement

Locked it around a post in around the frame and front wheel too.

My bike was stolen in Town,I was wondering would it be under house insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sucks to lose a good bike like that alright, and that quickly.

Hindsight's a great thing, but be aware of what grade a lock you're using next time. Here's a quote from a site selling the lock you had:
    This cable lock is for use in low to moderate crime areas and secure, well-lit lock-up situations.

Parnell St, in the best of conditions, is neither :)

The advice about 2 locks is on the money, get a U and a chain for locking in town, or at the very least a U and a cable if you're leaving it out of sight for >2 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Franky: as far as I know it can be covered, but your policy may require it to have been added beforehand.

So everyone with house insurance - add your bike details to your policy! It is normally then covered for no extra cost (ymmv).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

As far as I know it is included in the house insurance...

Not possitive about that one though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Trojan wrote:
    Franky: as far as I know it can be covered, but your policy may require it to have been added beforehand.

So everyone with house insurance - add your bike details to your policy! It is normally then covered for no extra cost (ymmv).
    I have my bikes covered under house insurance (the "Pedal Cycles" section). Mine cost extra to have them covered.
    Some insurance companies only cover bikes worth up to e500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Parnell st is a particularly nasty place for bikes. The main reason being the cinema, the little bastards from the flats round the corner check them out all the time(they also realise your gone for at least over an hour), personally once saw a mountain bike being nicked outside the cinema, 2 of them, took all of 5 seconds, followed them to the flats facing the back of the cinema, called the police but it was goodnight i think.
    Now, to be fair to the scumbags who nicked it, the lock was rubbish, it was locked round the centre frame and was one of those wire (E30) locks, have seen many cut ones left by bicycle parking bays.
    I continue to park my own bike there and know the risks, like previous posts I have 2 good locks, a kryptonite 3000 U lock(E100) which goes through the frame n back wheel and a cheaper satndard U lock(about E30) for the front wheel and frame. Luckly never had any problems and I use that cinema alot so it is possible, in saying that I sometimes forget my lights and twice had them nicked off the bike there, so yes the scumbags are there but good locks seem to really help,
    Personally I would love some sort of GPS trackin system which tracks down to the flat its in! although chances are its sold with in a few hrs for about E50 to some poor student or worker who probably had theirs stolen, vicious cycle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

check all the hostels for ur bike especially the one just off marlborough street.
    the junkies rob em with the intention of selling them but forget about them the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭dave101

i used to work at alans newsagents in tempelouge villa
    man it was a hangout for bike robbers.
    got so bad every saturday morning the cops would sit accross the road
    scum alright hope they never have an ounce of luck mate
    and the fecker that bought it too 4 that matter
    it kills me some of them sell them for 50 euro and a guy says yeah il take it .
    sure il say i got it from the buy and sell.if anyone asks
    hate that line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Franky Boy wrote:
    Locked it around a post in around the frame and front wheel too.

Thats something I never understand, why do some people lock the front wheel to what ever? The back wheel is much dearer to replace, so surely locking that to the frame and around a post makes more sense?

Advertisement