Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freak fm being shut down

Options
  • 09-12-2005 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Its an abosolute disgrace.
    Its a sad sad day when Cork's ONLY alternative radio station has been shut down. I'm urging ye all to email COMREG with complaint.

For more information http://www.freakfm.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1836

I've already sent several emails to different newspapers etc.

Freak is not going doing without a fight!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Did they have a licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

That's the wrong address you stupid twat. That goes to the very nice woman who looks after requests under the FOI act. How about using the email on their website to complain. I tried to register on the FreakFM forum but it seems to be broken. Do us all a favour and tell people stop harassing some poor innocent woman in ComReg and instead email the spectrum management group.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

damien.m wrote:
    That's the wrong address you stupid twat. That goes to the very nice woman who looks after requests under the FOI act. How about using the email on their website to complain. I tried to register on the FreakFM forum but it seems to be broken. Do us all a favour and tell people stop harassing some poor innocent woman in ComReg and instead email the spectrum management group.

Haha and yes insults will get you everywhere.
    Douche.

I really don't care where it goes to. It's the principal. Anything is worth a try at this stage. :P

The brains of the operation...

L&#233 wrote: »
    I really don't care where it goes to. It's the principal.

Then you don't care about FreakFM if you don't care that it goes to the wrong person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Although it has to be said, ComReg might be better with a principal in place. A bit of discipline wouldn't go astray. Arf arf.

adam

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

At risk of sounding snotty, I'd care if Freak FM hadn't appeared to spend more time making claims about being Cork's "only alternative radio station" than it did actually playing decent alternative music...at least over the last year or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I didn't even know FreakFM existed. Pity, cause I might actually have tuned in

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

dudara wrote:
    I didn't even know FreakFM existed. Pity, cause I might actually have tuned in

That's how I felt when I first found out about it about two and a half years ago, but after a while I found myself drifting away from it because it got a bit too cliquey and wasn't anywhere near as alternative as some of the people involved seemed to think it was...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That's a kind of common theme running through a lot of the "alternative" type things in this city

dudara wrote:
    That's a kind of common theme running through a lot of the "alternative" type things in this city

So I've noticed, unfortunately. It's the main reason I gave up going to Fred Zeppelin's on Friday or Saturday nights, and don't bother with Hangar 18 up at the Cruiscin...though I do miss the days of Camouflage in the Half Moon (only ever got to experience it in Henry's once right at the end, which while it was fun didn't strike me as being as good as it was in the Half Moon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Skankwife

damien.m wrote:
    Do us all a favour and tell people stop harassing some poor innocent woman in ComReg and instead email the spectrum management group.

Aren't you being a bit hypocritical by saying to stop abusing some woman in ComReg when you’re obviously abusing another lady here?
    A tad out of place you’re being.

Damien was only stating the obvious. By the looks of the FreakFM forum, most listeners are twats. Or nine years old. It's hard to tell.

adam

Skankwife wrote:
    Aren't you being a bit hypocritical by saying to stop abusing some woman in ComReg when you’re obviously abusing another lady here?

I can be a hypocrite and be right. Is that the best counter to my argument you have? Jesus. My 4 year old can argue better than that and he's imaginary.

Skankwife wrote:

And the rest of us would care about your opinion if you hadn't created an account just to post in this thread and stick up for someone else posting about a radio station that, so far, nobody from this board seems to have cared about much. What next, are you going to set up an e-team for Freak FM?

Nobody really cares that much. Get over it. And if you really have to try and start an argument, make a better effort, for christ's sake.

(Now that I think of it, this sort of idiocy is why I *left* the Freak FM forums after about a week, back when I listened to the station...)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Eh thanks for all the negative remarks lads. It's nice to see that ye care about Cork's music scene. Not.
    Meh if a mod could lock this thread or delete it or something it would be much appreciated.
    I'm well suprised at the negativity, i wasn't expecting it at all.
    Nice, real nice.

Slán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This is indeed an exceptionally negative thread. Does mention of Freak FM strike a jangly chord with some people, or what? Chill out guys!

L&#233 wrote: »
    Eh thanks for all the negative remarks lads.
    You're welcome. Now piss off.

simu wrote:
    This is indeed an exceptionally negative thread. Does mention of Freak FM strike a jangly chord with some people, or what? Chill out guys!

Heh, the first thing this thread reminded me of was the even more hostile reception that greeted me upon registering on the Freak FM forum and daring to have my own opinion. Besides which, spammy crap tends not to be popular anywhere...

• Advertisement

I don't think I've ever posted there tbh, just read, so I wouldn't know. This thread just has an unusual vibe for this forum!

simu wrote:
    I don't think I've ever posted there tbh, just read, so I wouldn't know. This thread just has an unusual vibe for this forum!

That's true alright...seems to have more in common with the spammy threads on the rock sound forum than anything on boards.

I suppose I shouldn't judge Freak FM and the people who run it too harshly just because there was a high retard count on their forum. It used to be good and I do have a lot of respect for anyone who went to the time and effort to set up a pirate station. It just didn't really do anything for me over the last 6-12 months so I can't really say I'll miss it. I'll be interested to see what, if anything, happens as a result of these sort of appeals - I suspect it'll take more than a few forum users throwing their toys out of the pram all over t'interweb for people at ComReg to care, given the general state of radio in ireland. Maybe they'll resurface as a webcast-only radio station?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

My, many people care a lot about this. Freak FM was grand. I used to listen to it when I was new at college and tbh it was a lot closer to my kind of music than anything commercial on offer.

It was never the fantastic mecca of music that some younger people seem to think it was, as young people are wont to do, but apart from that it was just a small thing very much in the background. The forums are, well, like PROC or AH. A very high noise level going on.

[kent brockman] One thing is sure. The people of Cork won't be getting their freak on again anytime soon. And that, in this humble tele-journalist's view, is quite freaky. [/kent brockman]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

daveirl wrote:

OFF TOPIC!!! :p

daveirl wrote:
    Never an arselicker around when you need one...

adam

I got banned from a forum I set up because I called a mod scum. They also site-banned yellum. Sheesh.

Mods are losers, supermods are ghey, and admins are ghey losers. Especially that fella on Foot.ie, he's a right farcical fascist nazi free speech killing party pooping christmas hating barstard.

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement