Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This weekend's Prem action

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The match of the day without a doubt unless Newcastle-Arsenal can conjure up something special.

Well done to Hughes again. This is a game that Blackburn would have lost under Souness back in the days when we used to go 1-0 down and give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Arsenal down a man, Newcastle are suddenly 'up for it'!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Someone please explain how Shearer gets no card for his foul and Gilberto gets one (and a red for two yellows) for his?

Gallagher was looking straight at it...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Anyone watching that game hopefully now sees why Scott Parker is my hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Solano scores!!!!!!!!!

Mike.

Great goal, assist from Shearer who could have been sent off twice or three times over!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

****ing typical!

Disgracfull refereeing cost Arsenal that match but the players themsleves just gave up after it became tough on them.

Thats 5 loses this season so far only one win n 8 on the road. IF that continues they will struggle to qualify for the champs league.

**** sake grow some balls the lot of ye.

Wenger HAS TO buy a CM that can take the place of the gob****e Gilberto. He does nothing. Maniche please!!!!!!!!!

jank wrote:
    **** sake grow some balls the lot of ye.

Wenger HAS TO buy a CM that can take the place of the gob****e Gilberto. He does nothing. Maniche please!!!!!!!!!

You could do with a bit of steel like Parker. Every time I've seen him play vs Arsenal (6 or 7 times now) he's been head and shoulders above everyone else.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You could do with a bit of steel like Parker. Every time I've seen him play vs Arsenal (6 or 7 times now) he's been head and shoulders above everyone else.

Definately, but Chlesea would have never sold him to Arsenal. Pity!

I just dont want Wenger to out and say the usual **** again! Play the youngsters like dont talk about them.

Why bring on Pires!?

And im still waiting to see why is Flamini so highly rated. Been very poor so far this seaon.

Im so pissed off, it was there for the taking and they ****ed it up.

Liked the look at Hleb and Quincy.

• Advertisement

Yeah plus Parker is a Spurs fan afaik, maybe that explains his repeated amazing performances against Arsenal. I've never seen a more commited player in my life.

jank wrote:
    ****ing typical!

Disgracfull refereeing cost Arsenal that match

As the lads in the studio just alluded to, what goes around comes around. Remember Jenas at Highbury?

Seemingly Arsenal get alot of that for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It was very very harsh that Gilberto got sent off, two pretty inocuous challenges, but credit to Newcastle for that second-half performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

great 3 points for newcastle and chelsea go marching on ( although it was a mostly dull display) .

Wigan defended with 11 men throughout, Connelly made one decent chance first half that could easily have been put away, Crespo didn't get a look in, and Robben is looking like he might be on his way to his former best. It's great to have Terry pop up and get those crucial goals. 2 or 3 great saves from Pollit, 1 on 1's with Drogba and Gudjonson.

Was impressed again by Wigan. Annoyed / surprised that Boro didn't have more to offer against Liverpool, dn't want the scousers to get too carried away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

jank wrote:
    Wenger HAS TO buy a CM that can take the place of the gob****e Gilberto.
    Gilberto? Why? He's a top class holding midfielder. Arsenal won the premiership by 11 points with him in the team. The player that needs replacing is Vieira. I notice when Celtic play poorly and lose Lennon sometimes gets a lot of the blame. They are unspectacular but vital players of the team.

Believe me, Maniche is no better than Gilberto.

• Advertisement

Blackburn get a very lucky penalty. I think we deserve it though after the decision that went against us last week and a few that have gone against us this season.

Very bad defending by both sides though. The only consolation I can take is that Blackburn's usual central defence partnership were missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Lemlin wrote:
    On another note, who thinks that if Newcastle lose today, and there's a strong possibility they will, that Souness will be gone before the end of tomorrow?
    Before the season you at least gave him until January.

Now Newcastle, despite a large number of injuries, are in the top half and just five points off CL qualifcation.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Sissoko hasn't impressed me at all. His ridiculous reaction to Bates' "push" says a lot about him, can't see a player like Gerrard going down the way he did.
    I thought Sissoko was excellent yesterday. The lad has some engine and was the reason that Boro offered very little going forward.

As soon as he gets his passing neat and tidy he will be world class. He's only 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The old boys link up and lead the way, inch-perfect ball from Scholes, met with just as perfect a run from Giggs, and what a finish. 1-1 at half time, good game. Question marks over a few United players for the Everton opener, Kilbane was allowed to travel with the ball for longer than SAF would have liked, and McFadden's run was untracked...Smith seemingly the culprit, you could see him drift off in the replay. Although he has recovered and has had a good half. Van Der Sar will be disappointed that he was beaten at his near post, probably expected the shot to go across goal. It was a very tight angle.

Before the season you at least gave him until January.

Now Newcastle, despite a large number of injuries, are in the top half and just five points off CL qualifcation.

A win against Arsenal, who should have had Newcastle long finished off had Henry been to his usual standard, does not save Souness' bacon. Its not January yet!

Its amazing how you attempt to make their achievements sound good. They are only five points off CL qualification because the standard in the rest of the PL is so poor.

With the money Souness has spent, Newcastle should be up challenging for fourth place. You are also forgetting that they have played one game more than most of the teams above them.

Newcastle are coming into a few tough matches (West Ham away, Liverpool away, Charlton at home and Tottenham away), it'll be interesting to see what Souness' position is after those games.

I wouldn't like to think what would happen to them if Shay Given was injured either. His save from Henry on Saturday was spectacular.

• Advertisement

I don't like Souness but if Newcastle keep showing the fighting spirit they had on Saturday they'll do well. They deserved to beat Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Another good result for Liverpool. (We) Once again, were back to 4-4-2 formation for the league with Gerrard on the right who was lively and got around the pitch very well.

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Hyypia - Riise
    Gerrard - Sissoko - Alonso - Kewell
    ---- Morientes - Crouch ----

The problems though remain. Liverpool created way more chances against a Middlesboro team that seemed more intent on getting the draw. Crouch was back to his mis-firing ways. Kewell didnt do much, although he did try at times but more often than not he is a liability. Morientes still not having quick reactions nor the pace. Crouch did his job of being the target man, but it didnt pay much dividends as the opposition seemed wise to it somewhat.

It took the appearance of Garcia as a sub, on for Crouch, to liven the game up in terms of goals. A good tactical choice by Benitez. Garcia's running across the pitch along with Gerrard, caused some consternation and an early goal. A cross from the right was dummied by Gerrard in the box to leave Morientes unmarked in with enough time to pick his spot, which he duely did.

One point, is this an assist by Garcia or one by Gerrard, even though he didnt touch the ball? Statistically it is recorded as an assist by Garcia, but I think in a footballing sense, it should be an assist to Gerrard. Perhaps assists, and indeed goals, should be shared according to the effort that people put in to create them, etc.

The 2nd goal came out of nowhere, a misguided defensive header was reacted to and picked up in space well outside the box by Morientes and he coolly lobbed it over the oncoming keeper.

Boro had one good chance in the match, one which Viduka should have put away earlier on, but apart from that, Liverpool's defensive back line mopped up any half-baked attacks.

Although Liverpool won 2-0 and had loads of half-chances, their lack of clinical finishing is still a problem. None of the strikers are the finished product. An ideal player perhaps would be one that had the target and holding up/lay off capability of Crouch, the speed of Cisse, and the finishing of Morientes (when he has enough time).

But what with "carrying" Kewell as well on the left, this game could have ended up very different.

At the moment, things seem to be going right for Liverpool and they are now in 2nd, although Man U who are in "a slump" are equal on points! Liverpool now have a chance to win the World Club Championship, whilst not a friendly match like years of yore, effectively there is just one other top club to compete against. Its immaterial whether they win it or not, but if they did, and if they could get back and play in the league without having a "hangover", it will be a great end to the year 2005 for the club and fans.

redspider

Lemlin wrote:
    A win against Arsenal, who should have had Newcastle long finished off had Henry been to his usual standard, does not save Souness' bacon. Its not January yet!
    No but it does put them in the top half, and only five points off fourth ;)
    Lemlin wrote:
    Its amazing how you attempt to make their achievements sound good. They are only five points off CL qualification because the standard in the rest of the PL is so poor.
    I'm not trying to make anything sound good. It's hardly an "achievement" being 10th. But what is definitely is is far off the relegation fodder and in-fighting you predicted it to be.

What are you talking about the rest of the PL is so poor? In relation to what? To be honest going by how all the English teams are doing in Europe I would have said the rest of the PL is pretty good.
    Lemlin wrote:
    With the money Souness has spent, Newcastle should be up challenging for fourth place.
    I agree. I would also consider being within five points of fourth as "challenging" for it. He has spent a lot of money, but to be fair (which I know you won't because you have a chip on your shoulder) Owen, Luque, and Emre, his three main Summer signings have spent more time on the treatment table than on the pitch.
    Lemlin wrote:
    You are also forgetting that they have played one game more than most of the teams above them.
    Points in the bag are better than games in hand and all that. I seem to remember you sighting that mantra when I tryied to argue Liverpool's performances earlier in the season, and that they were better than they were due to their games in hand.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Newcastle are coming into a few tough matches (West Ham away, Liverpool away, Charlton at home and Tottenham away), it'll be interesting to see what Souness' position is after those games.
    It will be, they are some tough games. But regardless of the results they get I'm sure you won't change the record.

I'd be reasonably certain the aim for NUFC was probably top six. From the games I've seen them play when they have a fully fit side, I expect them to get that.
    Lemlin wrote:
    I wouldn't like to think what would happen to them if Shay Given was injured either. His save from Henry on Saturday was spectacular.
    Every team miss their best players.

No but it does put them in the top half, and only five points off fourth

Hehe, look at the table now. As I predicted, they are now eight points off fourth. That's 3 wins and Newcastle have only won 6 games out of 16 all season.

I'm not interested in discussing this again anyway, we'll talk again when he is sacked, which will be sooner rather than later.

Advertisement