Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nobody wants to play with me

Options
  • 09-12-2005 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

:D:D I know i Sound like a sulky child :D

Whats the story with Irish people and board games... fine for kids but why is it any time i ask friends to play board games they dont want to... maybe its just the people i know...

I like Cranium.. i got Cranium Turbo in the US for $20 (bargain even there!!). No one wants to play games it seems so i have all the board games at home and no one to play with...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Saruman wrote:
    Whats the story with Irish people and board games...

we can afford good PC's, playstations and xbox's :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cant beat a board game for good fun, got Scene it and a few others in time for Xmas....they play then........./shakes fist ..play alll the time.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Monopoly is hardcore..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

board games got their time and place alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well i took my cranium turbo to my wifes friends house. She is Canadian, her husband is English. No problem there we had a great time even if we lost :D

Looking back on my childhood.. anyone remember cool games like Ghost castle and Lost valley of the dinosaurs? they were excellent.. Great sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ghost Castle? Was that the one with the glow in the dark skull that you whould drop down through the tower and it would set off a trap in one of the four corners of the board? It was pretty cool.

I had one called The Slime Monster that was pretty cool. The slime monster would move around the board as the players did and if it landed on the squares over the players it would open it's mouth and pour slime all over them... although it was even grosser when it dried out and went all crumbly.

I used to have a Pacman board game actually. It was pretty cool how pacman chomped down on those white marbles... although if you put too much force into it the marble would going flying across the room and take someones eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I despise board games, card games, charades and all those other tedious participation games that some of your friends practically force you to play. I prefer to relax than waste my time indulging the ego of those who feel the need to be competitive in these games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

hehe...

I love monopoly. I'm such a cheating fecker at it though. I've tried to play legitimately but nah, much more fun to cheat and lie. My crowning achievement was stealing a street from under someone's nose. Still can't believe I got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Remember, when you buy a board game, you're actually aiding Communism.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Heh, this thread reminded me of Atmosfear for some reason, use to play that alot as a kid. Flicking through Argos I see they've brought out a DVD version, wouldn't mind playing it!

foto278265.jpg

Don't mind a game of Monopoly and Risk now and again, that's about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

WEll, maybe all your friends are thinking of the sad board games they had as kids. Invite them over and surprise them with some cool ones. Frag, Munchkin, stuff like that that you could explain and play fairly quickly before going on to longer ones.

Heh, this thread reminded me of Atmosfear for some reason, use to play that alot as a kid. Flicking through Argos I see they've brought out a DVD version, wouldn't mind playing it!

foto278265.jpg
    I have the DVD version. But I have the same problem as the OP so it's only been played twice.

It works a lot better than the video version as at certain points you choose different doors on a DVD menu so that it's different each time you play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Aye, it's difficult to get non-gaming friends to play board games. As simu says this is probably a result of unhappy memories of tedious childhood board games.

You should think about picking up a copy of Settlers of Catan or Carcassonne. They're both relatively easy to learn, social and appeal to adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Trampas

The board game I want is Bullseye comes in dvd game now

http://www.bullseyeonline.net/New_Product_file/boxedgame.htm

I seen it in HMV the other day.

You can't beat a bit of bully. Nothing in this game for 2 in a bed.

The worse was at the end if they didn't win they use to show the people this is what you could have won

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Risk is quite addictive once introduced to a group of mates. I've spent whole summers playing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

so have i, mind you, that was just the one game of risk.

remember, never get involved in a land war in Asia.

but board games have come along way since Guess Who and all that.
    Zombies!!! and Betrial at the house on the hill are great, and games like Munchkin, Apples to Apples and Spank the monkey, while not really 'board' games, are still great fun.

Spank the monkey
    Isn't that just masturbating? While fun, I hardly think it qualifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Cool website that...

I found the Pac-man game I was talking about on it...
    pic74015_sized.jpg

Now to try and find a really cool Mad Max type game that I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

yep i used to have that pacman as well. remember finding it hidden in the house before christmas as a kid and opening it and playing it while the parents were out. was great fun at the time.

Have the simpsons monopoly which goes down a storm with friends these days. also pictionary is always a hilarious game specially with a few drinks in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I dont have it but Taboo is an excellent game. thats where you have to get your team members to guess a word with you giving hints but you are not allowed to use certain words which can sometimes make it very difficult but always good fun!! The better you know your team mates way of thinking the better.

There is also one called Balderdash and beyond balderdash.. both fantastic games.

Best thing about Board games is that every board game can be altered and turned into a drinking game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

risk, axis and allies, supremacy, settlers of catan, El Grande, junta

all great board games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

"Sorry" is a great one, gets people really riled up.

I use to own a great Formula 1 board game, you rolled the dice and moved the cars around the track, that was until the cat decided to take a giant dump on it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

can't beat a bit of Trivial Pursuit Genius Edition. hehe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Oh yeah the mad max type game; that was well cool. My primary school had a copy of it (Probably the least educational board game ever:D ), we didn't ever figure out the rules but all the little toy cars were funky.

Risk is great craic too with a gang of mates, as is zombies. Pictionary is the king though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

The "Awful Green Things from Outer Space", best board game ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭NineMoons

I LOVE board games but again, no-one to play with. Got my Beloved a Simpsons game of life board game for Christmas cos I figure he might play it with me if it's Simpsons. And I was also thinking of the long boring broke nights in January, giving up booze and paying off Christmas debts...

Used to play marathon games of Hotel with my cousins whenever they stayed. (Was like Monopoly cept you built the hotels section by section and a few other differences) But the games would go on forever, people getting bankrupted and joining other teams. It would be antagonstic as hell but brilliant.

One of my favourite Christmas things is playing Articulate or Scrabble or Cluedo or whatever with my family. It's great. Especially when you play the Ghetto version of Monopoly - ghettopoly - and your dad says he wants to buy two crack dens for his hos. Genius. :D

I just remembered another one I used to play called Apocalypse. It was a lot like Risk except you could stockpile nuclear warheads. There were little plastic missiles which were stackable, so you could build up some really high-yield warheads.

Another great one was Quirks in which you had to piece together different animals and plants by putting together different cards with different picutres of different body sections and try and get them to survive... Some of the creatures you could make were very funny looking.

Advertisement