Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sockets & Tight to put a plug in

Options
  • 10-12-2005 10:10am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,

2nd fixing of the sparky is coming to an end, he has all the sockets in, so we were just messing there last nite and we plugged in the lead of the kettle, it was extremely hard to push it in but after jiggling it about it went back in, we noticed that not all but a good few of the double sockets were like this.

Will they losen out over time or should he be looking at these again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

They are nearly always like that they will loosen up in the first few days, unless they are full of plaster :) which seems a regular occurence. It's the metals pins inside if you open one up and look at it, your pushing them open for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Is there a makers trademark on the socket? Like MK for instance?
    If not you might have had real cheap sockets installed by the sparks to make an extra few euro on the job.
    I'm not saying they are dangerous but quality will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

my experiance shows that the wall leading to the socket isn't squared to the socket causing the socket to bend when tightened by the screws holding it to it's backbox..

if the o/p goes to a tight socket and places his head to the wall and looks at the socket he may find the socket bending..

also never came across tight sockets before wheather they were cheapo winmark or expensive mk...have been sparking since 97

hope this will help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Noticed it on a few of our sockets when we moved in, I haven't noticed it since, so I assume they loosen. Now I think of it, it was only the first time the sockets were used iirc. Can't think of any that haven't been used to test that theory though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

When we snagged our apartment, we brought a radio with us to test all the sockets. The plug would only fit into one socket in the whole place. The holes in the sockets were completely misaligned with the pins of the plug and the plug was never going to fit. We had to get the whole lot changed. If the plugs don't go in easily first time, get them changed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement