Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper around a cats body

• 10-12-2005 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

Has enyone ever wrapped paper around a cats body? I heard this on the radio over in Australia. Seemingly the cat can't walk becaues as well as using its whiskers it also uses its body hairs to sense where it is i.e. if it is walking down a narrow tunnel it uses its hairs to position itself in the middle of the tunnel. if it is in wrapped in paper it can't sense anything so it just collapses. The radio station had a show were you could ring in with crazy questions and someone rang in to say that this was their party piece with his cat and he was wondering why it happened. I wonder is this why vets wrap cats in towels when they are giving them injections or maybe this is just to stop them scraping.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I really think thats a load of Sh1t to be honest. I know one of my cats loves being wrapped up in a towel because he fights with it like a dog, generally cats don't like to be restrained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

wouldn't advise it at all - fair enough if you have a cat that enjoys fighting with a towel - but wrapping a cat in paper isn't funny. I wrap my cat in a towel to give her tablets to attempt to stop her scratching me & would say that is also why vets do it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Enii wrote:
    as well as using its whiskers it also uses its body hairs to sense where it is i.e. if it is walking down a narrow tunnel it uses its hairs to position itself in the middle of the tunnel. if it is in wrapped in paper it can't sense anything so it just collapses.

Not true. Only the whiskers are sensory. The fur is for insulation.
    A cat's whiskers are the same width as the widest part of the cat's body so if the cat's whiskers can't fit through a gap the cat knows the rest of it's body won't be able to.

Advertisement