Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can't connect to a certain website

• 10-12-2005 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to open a live chat on a bookies website but every time I try it (on Firefox or IE) I get "this page cannot be displayed". It happens with any live chat powered by:
    https://server.iad.liveperson.net

Any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Is your firewall blocking it? If it works on an unusual port, then this may be a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Tried it with Firewall disabled but didn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

AFAIK, liveperson is a java applet that allows real time chat to occur on websites and some anti virus software sees the java installer for liveperson as a virus and deletes it before it initialises. I had this problem with liveperson on the BT website and on Brinkster.com (my webhosting company), the only way I could eventually use Liverperson was to temporarily disable my anti virus when needing to use it.

Laguna wrote:
    AFAIK, liveperson is a java applet that allows real time chat to occur on websites and some anti virus software sees the java installer for liveperson as a virus and deletes it before it initialises. I had this problem with liveperson on the BT website and on Brinkster.com (my webhosting company), the only way I could eventually use Liverperson was to temporarily disable my anti virus when needing to use it.
    Just tried that to no avail.

Just bumping this thread up as I really need to sort this out.

• Advertisement

I googled for liveperson + ports and the first result was from the server.iad... page. The only way I could view the page was cached:
    http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:W-U0SVcRa00J:server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/s-5296924/cmd/kbresource/kb-4135461156721508072/view_question!PAGETYPE%3Fsc%3D4539%26sf%3D101133%26documentid%3D26696%26action%3Dview+liveperson+%2B+ports&hl=en

I have added *.liveperson.net to my trusted sites in IE and Firefox. It was originally in the restricted sites list but I removed it. I've opened the ports listed in the above link. I've disabled Windows Firewall and anti-virus. Any other suggestions?

/edit - I tried pinging and got this result:
    Pinging server.iad.liveperson.net [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

That doesn't look right - 127.0.0.1 is your loopback address.

Can you do a tracert and post up the results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

eireboy, have you ever used a third party hosts file, such as Mike's? Since the address seems to be looping back to your own machine, its possible that if you have, the liveperson domain is blacklisted on it.

tom dunne wrote:
    Can you do a tracert and post up the results?
    Tracing route to server.iad.liveperson.net [127.0.0.1]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms localhost [127.0.0.1]

Trace complete.
    eireboy, have you ever used a third party hosts file, such as Mike's? Since the address seems to be looping back to your own machine, its possible that if you have, the liveperson domain is blacklisted on it.
    It sounds like you're right but I don't have any host file that I know of. Any way of finding out if I have one?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

95/98 hosts is in c:\windows
    nt/2k/xp/2k3 hosts is in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

you can edit it with notepad

if you have msantispyware or most other spyware utils they will get upset when you try to change hosts - this is normal

• Advertisement

95/98 hosts is in c:\windows
    nt/2k/xp/2k3 hosts is in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

you can edit it with notepad

if you have msantispyware or most other spyware utils they will get upset when you try to change hosts - this is normal
    Fantastic! Thanks a lot. I assume whenever I remove a site from the "restricted sites" list in IE I'll also have to remove it from that file. There's a few sites in that file that I could do with removing. :) Thanks again all.

Advertisement