Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working two jobs...

Options
  • 10-12-2005 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭

I'm full time in one job, (public sector) and I get the impression (after subtle hints on the subject) that they have a problem with people doing outside work, regardless of what it is. I used to be a contractor and one of my old clients wants me to do some more work for them. Not much work. probably 2-3 days, and I could do it (at home) over a month. I'd like to do it as I may end up contracting in the future, and I don't want to throw away contacts that were hard won. But I don't have a means to accept payment from them. It has to be done all above board. Its one contact I use as one of my references.

Should I just forget it, do it for free (establishes bad precident) or any other suggestions. I guess I would normally be charging approx €500-€1,000 for the work. I'm thinking I'll to do it for free as its not that much work. Also on the CV it looks good to get repeat work from clients. Especially when its a big client.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

whats the prob , dont tell work about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If you're doing it during your own leave time, and you're not helping a competitor, is it any of your employer's business?

Brings up an interesting point; you talk about wanting to get back to contracting in the future - so you're having to decide if you want to make a career in the service, or use it to prepare for a future real career in the private sector.

In France, all police retire early - at 40? 45? something like that. As part of their job, they're given training in the craft of their choice, and given time off to practise that craft and gain customers. So if you call an electrician, plumber or carpenter in France, it'll probably be a cop or ex-cop who turns up.

It's a big plus for recruiting police, and must give the police there a fantastic network of information, to put it crudely.

But yes, you're going to have to work out where your career is going to be: in the service or in the private sector. Once you've decided, you can decide whether it's worth it to take up the contracting; but do make yourself up a little career path document and stick it on the wall, make sure you achieve the targets on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its in your contract. Obviously accounts would see any extra money that effects your tax? The service is a port in a storm. With decentralisation and little promotional prospects, its not a viable long term position. Of course things change...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

set up a a limited company and dont tell the civil service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

If you have a full time job in the public service you should cease any side lines that you have immediately. It is a conflict of interest and unethical. You could be dismissed from your post.

Think about it. You have a public service post say in IT. You get paid for this and then you contract out some of the work to yoursel. Double pay!

Would it be OK for a member of, say, the National Roads Authority to be a director of a road building company???

Furthermore if you go for a full time position elsewhere, an employer will wonder whether they will get your undivided attention.

It sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it.

• Advertisement

I assume that why its in your contract. But on the other had its just a job. Lots of people work two jobs to earn extra money. I don't do any other work, its just something that came up. How is unethical or a conflict of interest? Would it be unethical for a clerical worker in the National Roads Authority to work evenings in a club or bar? Besides in the contract it says you can do it if you get permission. Its just frowned upon.

Having your cake? How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Why don't you just ask HR about it straight out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Would it be unethical for a clerical worker in the National Roads Authority to work evenings in a club or bar? Besides in the contract it says you can do it if you get permission. Its just frowned upon.

Having your cake? How so?

No, there is no obvious conflict of interest here but in the public service they have to be clear cut so it needs to be a blanket ban.

What contract are we talking about? Tempest makes no reference to his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

set up a a limited company and dont tell the civil service

A limited company would be too complex (and costly) for this arrangement. Set up as a sole trader - invoice the client for the work and pay your tax on the extra earnings.

All above board.

BrianD wrote:
    No, there is no obvious conflict of interest here but in the public service they have to be clear cut so it needs to be a blanket ban.

What contract are we talking about? Tempest makes no reference to his contract.

Your employment contract obviously, terms and conditions etc.
    Slice wrote:
    Why don't you just ask HR about it straight out?

Never occured to me to do that TBH. :o Did this today and I got the low down on the correct procedure to apply for permission. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm surprised no ones here (on the boards) does it. Lots of people in past jobs used to do it. I know one person who worked in the bank after work for a couple of evenings. From what I've seen its not very common in the public sector but you do see people who work a 3 day week and somewhere else the other 2 days. In the past I tired it and didn't like it. Just in this case the work is 80% done as its based on something else I've done and its an easy earner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement