Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion On Polish People

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Laguna wrote:
    Take people as you find them, don't judge an entire nation on your perceptions of the few you've personally met. That's like me happening to meet Graham Norton and thinking all Irish people are the EXACT same as him, sexual orientation and all.

No nationality in the infancy of its immigration to another country ever integrates well initially, for example, why do the Irish who travel the world build Irish bars/clubs/associations everywhere they go?, because it helps them to integrate by bringing a piece of their own culture to their new home.

I never said I think that of all Poles, I merely stated that the vast majority of them seem to be scumbags.

It bothers me when that these people are allowed into the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

never said I think that of all Poles, I merely stated that the vast majority of them seem to be scumbags.

vast majority..:rolleyes:

A lot of us have been around long enough to know of the difficulties (alongside the great experience) encountered in living in another country. No matter where you go, you will always come across idiots like you with sweeping statements like this. Peoples begrudgery of other groups can only come about as a result of their own personal failures or some sort of fear. Which category do you fall into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Bambi wrote:
    you know where the airport is..thanks for visiting! :p

:v: < the less americans over here the more i like it

Hey, don't take it out on Daddio just because your mum died in that Disney film of your life..

Eurorunner wrote:
    vast majority..:rolleyes:

A lot of us have been around long enough to know of the difficulties (alongside the great experience) encountered in living in another country. No matter where you go, you will always come across idiots like you with sweeping statements like this. Peoples begrudgery of other groups can only come about as a result of their own personal failures or some sort of fear. Which category do you fall into?

Oh...so you called me on generalising...then generalised me...good one(!)
    Idiot.

Actually my begrudgery comes from the actions of the vast majority of poles I have encountered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 timamansio

I never said I think that of all Poles, I merely stated that the vast majority of them seem to be scumbags.

It bothers me when that these people are allowed into the country.

Actually they are EU citizens and, as such, are as entitled to be here as you are. And you, as an EU citizen, are more than welcome to go live in Poland if you so desire.

My experience of Polish people living here has been a positive one. I find them hardworking, good humoured and friendly. In fact my experience of them in the service industry in particular has been infinitely more positive than their indigenous equivalents.

• Advertisement

timamansio wrote:
    Actually they are EU citizens and, as such, are as entitled to be here as you are. And you, as an EU citizen, are more than welcome to go live in Poland if you so desire..

Yes, and if at some point in my life I decide I want to go to Poland for work or leisure I will be chuffed with this, however, if I did go, I would have some respect for the place and it's people.
    I will not however, be rude, insulting and abusive to the indigenous people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dustaz wrote:
    Im serious, i know bosnians, rwandans, togo'ians, romanians but not a single pole. What gives.
    Probably because they are too busy working!

A couple of haircuts back, the Polish guy cutting my hair reckoned their was currently close to 60,000 poles in Ireland.

They are a very, very , very hardworking lot. Even when I was in Frankfurt and Brussels I worked with and knew a few poles. My cleaning-lady in Brussels was only doing the job as a cover-story for the two properties she bought and was renting out (this was before Polish EU Membership).

Like us, they're also prone to depression and ill-health, and tend not to look after themselves so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ezone

Im sure there are plenty of decent polish people out there but i'm having the misfortune to be living underneath and next door to some 3-4 above the same in room next door in a very old house off s-c-rd. This is in small bedsit style flats.

Upstairs theyve left the empty speaker boxes outside the door from their 3 ft tall speakers and they have a preference for hardcore Polish techno at any random time and volume. the speakers are on the floor. :confused:

They show no sign of intergrating unlike the previous Venezulan, Italian, Egyptian, French, German etc. Tenants

Actually the German guy left weeks after they arrived here because of the noise and they are also skinheads . They then moved into his flat.

Just my personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

the irish as a race don't like people invading the country ie england, and because of the amount of polish people we tend to see it as that, it could have become a real hate problem. but all this anti racism pro polish thing is quite encouraging, i hope its like this in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Laguna wrote:
    Take people as you find them, don't judge an entire nation on your perceptions of the few you've personally met.

Slightly OT here but what do people think of the Romanians? Has anybody met a Romanian thats not a gypsey, are there any? They just seem to be all spongers I've never seen them start a business or do anything constructive apart from recycling the Big Issue magazine to aid begging. We might clash with itinerants from time to time but at least they earn a living for the most part. I've met/worked with many different foreigners and have found them all to be hard working/interesting. The Romanians are the only ones that get my goat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

jaqian wrote:
    Slightly OT here but what do people think of the Romanians? Has anybody met a Romanian thats not a gypsey, are there any? They just seem to be all spongers I've never seen them start a business or do anything constructive apart from recycling the Big Issue magazine to aid begging. We might clash with itinerants from time to time but at least they earn a living for the most part. I've met/worked with many different foreigners and have found them all to be hard working/interesting. The Romanians are the only ones that get my goat.

Well, I only ever knew one Romanian. I used to work with him and he was as nice a guy as you could meet. Hardworking, intelligent and wanted to set up his own business. I can't speak for the rest of the Romanian people and neither can you I'd guess.

Well my only experience with Romanian's are the gypseys and that hasn't been a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Trevko wrote:
    Alright so they are here the last year or two...what do you guys think of them? ok so some of them are hott but really,what is your feelings towards them?

I saw a really interesting social documentary movie called Rocco Invades Poland and have to say the people in it appeared to be the most open-minded, enthusiastic, willing and good humoured bunch you could ever come across. And indeed that's what happened in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Know loads of Romanians. All sound hard-working people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 arkle8

white europeans, same as we are. So we will have no problem with them as soon as they get the hang of the language. (english I mean)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

jaqian wrote:
    Slightly OT here but what do people think of the Romanians? Has anybody met a Romanian thats not a gypsey, are there any?
    I worked in Brussels with a blonde Romanian girl who could have been a supermodel - she was an Oracle DBA strangely enough!

The Romanians we get in Ireland are mostly Roma-Gypsies and are quite different from the average Romanian.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As it says above, your question is VERY general. My GF is Polish and have been going out with her for 15 months at this stage, and I couldn't be happier. Such a sweet and hard working person. I've been too Poland with her for some holidays and in my two weeks there I only came across two rude people- not bad.
    While there I met her cousin and her flatmates. I don't think I've ever been made to feel more at home or welcome anywhere. It was an amazing experiance.

I've met her friends and acquaintances? who are all nice people and I have no complaints about them.

We have had two Polish people in work, both fine. One of them is a saleman and is an exceptional member of staff- frequently being top salesman. If we had more like him all our jobs would be alot easier.

In short, the Polish people that I have met couldn't be nicer, friendlier or harder working if they tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Are you talking about the thread name??

If so that is not a question but Trevko just wanted people's opinions - good or bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

True enough, I didn't read it slowly enough!!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

el tel wrote:
    I saw a really interesting social documentary movie called Rocco Invades Poland and have to say the people in it appeared to be the most open-minded, enthusiastic, willing and good humoured bunch...............

ROFL!!!:D The competition for post of the year has kicked off:) Lend us your DVD and Ill vote for you tman

• Advertisement

The Romanians we get in Ireland are mostly Roma-Gypsies and are quite different from the average Romanian.

I was hoping they weren't the norm. Only thing is they are going to sully the name of the average Romanian. The name Romanian is being a derogatory term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kulpix

PlayaFlow wrote:
    polish people hot?? what have you been smokin'

polish people ; black leather jacket waring, skin head , bmw drivin men who look like 24hr doormen and big hefty women named svetlana with big hairy armpits and very red lipstick.

do not mistake poles with the russians! what you've just described is a typical example of russian or lithuanian people, not necessarily polish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I really like polish people, czech people, my experiences with them have been really positive.

But to throw in my obligatory racist comment, (and making a vast generalisation here) out of all the ethnicitys (sp?) they are one of the few who don't have a large crime element, also some bring gang and violence to our streets, and others just beg and make a shit out of our city, and beg so aggressively that i fully endorse anyone who smacks them in their gold plated mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

We have plenty of Irish beggars too, but we are not all beggars. I have no problem with Romanians, Polish people or any of the other nationalities. We may have problems with individuals, but not whole groups. I'd say most of the people that any of us have a problem with are Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Achtungbabe

Flukey wrote:
    We have plenty of Irish beggars too, but we are not all beggars. I have no problem with Romanians, Polish people or any of the other nationalities. We may have problems with individuals, but not whole groups. I'd say most of the people that any of us have a problem with are Irish.

Hi everybody,

As a Polish guy (yeas, that’s right I am Pole) I can’t add anything more to above. Holly truth, I’d say.
    There is no doubt, plenty of Polish beggars have come to Ireland but it does not mean that all Polish community is gathered from such an assholes in leather jackets driving wreck BMW.
    I am not going to advocate them. Neither me nor my friends can’t do anything about the fact, that some of them are no friendly, not honest, that they do not want to integrate ect.
    Do you want to know my opinion about Poles? Some of them I really hate though. Moreover, sometimes I feel shame due to the fact, that I am Polish. But on the other hand, I know lots of real cool other Poles. Don’t generalising, though. All depends on the individual!!!
    I think we could say the same about Irish people. I have had some bad personal experience in relation to them, but I don’t want to judge all of you guys based on individual accidents.
    In spite of some bed experience, I will not say anything wrong about Irish, because I do believe that not all of you are an assholes and I could hurt some of my Irish friends saying that.
    Nobody is perfect, isn’t it? So, please do not make a sweeping statement.
    Btw, Issue with integration concerns only simple, low educated Poles, who can’t speak English. 24h doorman wearing leather jacket in bmw is a typical Russian (maybe Lithuanian or Latvian)exhibit, not Polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

"polish people ; black leather jacket waring, skin head , bmw drivin men who look like 24hr doormen and big hefty women named svetlana with big hairy armpits and very red lipstick".

Some seem to think that this refers to Lithuanians and Russians more than to Poles, well I am irish but the girl beside me is Lithuanian and she is not called svetlana, she does not have very red lipstick but I am not sure about the armpits. My guess is they are not hairy!

I do have a Bemmer, but I'm afraid I don't have a leather jacket, a skin head and I definitley wouldn't be much good as a doorman!

Hope this helps answer the question about Poles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Any poles I met are really nice, hardworking and friendly. I work with a Czech girl who is nice but a little bit moany at times - however, I cop that this is just one of HER personality traits and not a trait of the whole Czech nation!

Enii wrote:
    however, I cop that this is just one of HER personality traits and not a trait of the whole Czech nation!
    But how can we be sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I love the Poles, they are generally good craic - and most of the ones I know really take to Ireland... They've gone as far as renouncing their loyalty to their own soccer clubs/teams and moved over to supporting rovers, derry and even Dingle (the cabra team, not the kerry one:p )!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Deary me

It was announced during last week that Irish jobs are not affected by foriegn influence. The Poles and there foriegn counter parts are just feeding a demand. I was delighted to see some Polish residents posting in response to this thread.

However there are a couple of thing the irish authorities need to address

A Foreign car from eastern europe has a far lower 3rd Party ceiling than the 3 Million in Irish Insurance guidelines. As Low as 180,000 in a lot of cases. These cars should be insured here for that reason. Plus a left hand drive card is dangerous , if operated at normal legal top speeds. 25% of road deaths this year are foriegn nationals. We quick ourselves on the road quite easily ourselves prior to the arrival of eastern Europe

The are 120,000 Poles living in Ireland , I say far play to them and the best of luck and if you never want to speak to anyone. Thats your choice however there are some standards that must be adhered to.

Most of the Poles (all hard workin honest) have a plan to earn a few grand go home and buy a house in Poland. Please be warned while your here there are loads of Irish people buying land in Poland pushing your Market up !!

Best of Luck Poland

Ohh in closing if you see a loads on Romanians at a bank link be safe and use another it may be skimmed. Plus a stun gun in the balls really bloody hurts (this happens if you remove the device)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement