Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling In Cork City.

Options
  • 10-12-2005 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

What are your views on cycling in cork city amongst the other road users.What would you like to see changed to make it easier and safer to get from a to b without getting killed by some ignorant driver.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There have been some cycle lanes introduced I noticed but they're pretty crap and along highly congested streets with lots of parked cars. Last time I was in Cork I saw a cyclist get knocked off his bike by a car while he was cycling around one cycle lane on that street near Washington Street. Luckily he wasn't hurt.

Cork needs cycle lanes on wider clearer roads. Last time I cycled in Cork, it was a seriously nerve wracking and stressful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Would be nice if they actually separated the cycle lane by something other than a line. The one that always annoys me is that they built the Blackpool bypass and didn't put in any provision for cyclists. I've cycled out there a few times & it's not pleasant with a nice high pavement on one side & trucks trying to get past you on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

About a month ago I was knocked down on the road just outside CUH and Wilton shopping centre at the crazy part of the cycle lane (on the shopping centre side, by the bus stop) where it switches from the side of the road to the middle. I signalled with my right arm that I was moving out (in plenty of time) before I went to cross to the next part of the cycle lane. I looked behind me, no one coming, so I proceeded to move out. My front wheel had just reached the next part of the cycle lane when the next thing I know is I'm on the ground. A middle aged woman in a green Ka hit me, and didn't even have the decency to get out and help me up. Merely shouted out her window "You cycled in front of me" and proceeded to drive off. Didn't ask me was I ok or anything! There was no sign of her when I checked over my shoulder before switching lanes, so she must have been going some speed around the roundabout and onto that road... I only wish I was able to catch her reg :(

Something needs to be done about that cycle lane switch, with the speeds drivers go along that road, it's just not safe. In saying that, at least there is a cycle lane, not like much of the rest of Cork! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

First off, make lights and bells mandatory; I've nearly been run over by cyclists more times than I care to remember. There are too many idiots (dare I say, students) skimping on lights and cycling on the footpaths around the Wilton area. German-style separate cycle lanes would be the ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Cycling around Cork is pretty dangerous I must admit. That's why I choose to do some country cycling over city cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

There are too many idiots (dare I say, students) skimping on lights and cycling on the footpaths around the Wilton area.

Lights and bells I agree with, I'm a student myself and I'm kitted out with all the right gear (high-vis, front and back lights etc) so no need to tar all students with the "idiot" brush. I cycle on the road all the time and if you read my last post you'll see what happened to me (through no fault of my own and at half two in the daytime I might add) because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

No need to take issue with my previous post; it wasn't a personal criticism.

I was pointing out that there are many cyclists about Cork who pay little attention to basic road safety, particularly at nighttime. I've witnessed this more times than I care to remember in the wilton area, a student laden area. I was not implying that they all were students (although most wouldn't look out of place in that category :D ). So, the "idiot brush" is firmly tucked away for another days sweeping generalisation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 surfette

One thing I have noticed a lot lately is the number of cyclists who are now cycling on the footpath. As a cyclist I can understand why - the roads are too dangerous, but now the pedestrians are at risk from the cyclists. Cycling in Cork is survival of the fittest. We need some decent cycle paths as previously proposed in this thread. Would it be crazy to suggest that some of the wonderfully narrow streets in Cork (e.g. Barrack St) would be turned into one-way motor, one-way pedal? At least you'd seem them coming !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it illegal to cycle on the footpaths?cuz I use to always do when I use to cycle to and from college :-l.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Is it illegal to cycle on the footpaths?

yup. as a pedestrian it's annoying, if totally understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 surfette

Is it illegal to cycle on the footpaths?cuz I use to always do when I use to cycle to and from college :-l.

Yup - I sure think it is ! But maybe someone closer to the right side of the law could comment? Either way its dangerous for all concerned:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Never cycled when i was in cork, grew up in ballincollig and its just too dangerous. Car drivers dont see Motorcycles let alone bicycles.

Its total bull as car drivers have the view that bicycles shouldnt be on the road and pedestrians have the view that cyclists shouldnt be on the path.

It should be policed better on both sides, cyclist and motorist, kids should be taught how to cycle a bike in school and the basic rules.

Since I've moved to Holland i cycle whenever i get the chance, Cycle lanes everywhere (and it helps that its totally flat)

If you dont have working front and back lights on your bicycle at night its an automatic fine from the cops. Cycling under the influence will get you up in court with a possibility to have your driving license suspended.

It is MILES safer than Ireland though.

On the other hand, theres so many bicycles it makes driving a car a nightmare .. instead of watching for just other cars etc.. your watching out for Bikes, cars, motorbikes, segways, mopeds, trams and people. You can end up sitting in the middle of the road stuck because some asshole cyclists wont get out of the way and theres a tram on your right dinging its bell like mad, ARRRGGGHH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

agreed it is dangerous on the roads for cyclists but when I see a cyclist on a footpath it really boils my blood, only mammy's boys cycle on the footpath in fairness :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

[sarcasm]you ungrateful minions![/sarcasm]

Are ye not aware of our wonderful City Council's cycling strategy?

Worth a read for the laugh alone. Clearly drawn up to milk the EU for some transport related funding.

Cycling strategy? On your bike back to arms of Owen O' Callaghan Joe Gavin:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'd like to cycle in Cork but I'm not suicidal... I wish Irish cities had a proper bicycle lane set-up like they do in Holland but here, it's all about cars :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Cycling was my primary mode of transport in in all the cities I lived in prior to Cork (incl Dublin, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Lyon, Glasgow) but I don't cycle much in Cork because of the danger. It's a pretty damning indictment that it is worse than Dublin.

Of course proper driver and cyclist discipline would help, Drivers give the cyclists some respect, cyclists stay off the footpaths* etc, but I don't think that can solve the problem completely. The nature of the streets and roads in the city make cycling dangerous no matter how well behaved everyone is.

I know I've talked about this before but getting around Cork really annoys me, so much so that if I can ever persuade Mr Hunnymonster to move, I'll be out of here before the lights change. Some of the problems are
    - buses are unreliable and don'tg o where I need
    - train doesn't go anywhere useful
    - cycling is dangerous
    - of 5 taxies that I have ever taken in Cork, 4 have gone "the long way around".
    All of this means I end up having to use a car to get around a reasonably compact city if I can't walk. It's a real pain when a triathlete can't cycle ;)

*the straight road is the one where this always gets me. It is one of the few reasonably wide parts of the city, has a cycle lane but still people insist on cycling on the path. I regularly run along there and a few times when I've been feeling cantankerous, I've held my ground in the middle of the path so that the cyclist has the choice to dismount or hit me. The abuse that gets shouted at me by these cyclists makes the good convent girl in me blush!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

As a pedestrian I find it very annoying when cyclists whizz across footpaths. Its dangerous and illegal. However, I understand the roads are too dangerous. Having lived in Nurnberg, which has thousands of cyclists, I found it good that they half their footpaths - one side for pedestrians and one half, painted red, for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I used to cycle to UCC everyday before I dropped out and I always cycled on footpaths because of how dangerous it is to cycle even in designated cycle lanes.

I would go very slowly though so it was kinda safe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Some of you might be over estimating how dangerous cycling is in Cork. I've been cycling to school/college/work for about 15 years now and haven't had a serious accident yet.

You just need to be careful and watch out for bad drivers or pedestrians popping out of nowhere onto roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Some of you might be over estimating how dangerous cycling is in Cork. I've been cycling to school/college/work for about 15 years now and haven't had a serious accident yet.

You just need to be careful and watch out for bad drivers or pedestrians popping out of nowhere onto roads!

Agreed. I've not really cycled much in Cork but I did often cycle from Santry to Swords every morning and evening in crazy traffic. A lot of accidents can be avoided if the cyclist is two steps ahead. A cyclist has to ask themselves "what if..?" I've driven scooters around Cork for a couple of years and I always kept this method in mind...OK it won't help a VW Touareg coming straight for ya :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

yeah, I have also been cycling in Cork for the last 4 months, Mr SF for over 6 months and have to say we are pleasantly surprised: drivers are quite polite and more patient here than in London where I lived before. There I used to average 2-3 near death situations/morning, and I haven't had anything similar here (as yet!). Probably I am just lucky with my commute though: no really busy roads, and can easily avoid this maze of narrow streets, which, I agree, should be made one way.. btw, is anyone here ever goes to the critical mass meetings? would imagine, must be quite fun!

Advertisement