Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nokia 6680 for Christmas

• 10-12-2005 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking to get a new phone for christmas and want one thats running symbianOS. After having a look around I think that the 6680 is best suited for what I want.

Can anyone tell me if the phone comes sim-free if you buy it as a Vodafone upgrade? I'm on Meteor but my father is on Vodafone bill and said he'd be happy to get it for me. If it's not sim-free, how do I go about unlocking it? I saw something somewhere about a sim-free firmware upgrade but I don't know if it has to be sim-free in the first place or not.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Get the N70 the 6680 will be 'dated' in a a few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Hey,

I'm looking to get a new phone for christmas and want one thats running symbianOS. After having a look around I think that the 6680 is best suited for what I want.

Can anyone tell me if the phone comes sim-free if you buy it as a Vodafone upgrade? I'm on Meteor but my father is on Vodafone bill and said he'd be happy to get it for me. If it's not sim-free, how do I go about unlocking it? I saw something somewhere about a sim-free firmware upgrade but I don't know if it has to be sim-free in the first place or not.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Only way to unlock is via a code from Vodafone, if you Dad is on bill pay it is likely they will issue him a code if he says he is going to UK on holiday and wants to use a Vodafone UK SIM there to avoid roaming etc!

Also the Nokia N70 is due to release on bill pay before Christmas, it is basically an upgraded 6680 with a 2meg camera

EDIT Got there ahead of me Skearon!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Wow. Thanks for the quick replies.

So you think that Vodafone will give out the unlocking code without any hassle if we ring them up? Wasn't sure if they would with the new "fancy" phones.

I knew about the N70 alright. Anybody know of a release date and expected price for it? The reason I was just gonna stick with the 6680 was because I didn't want to spend the next few months waiting for the N70 to come out and then find it costs e100 more or something

N70 get it close thread lol
    Nah your true there , dunno if Voda will give out codes.Sure Meteor arent getting 3G so why dont you move to them?

• Advertisement

Don't want all that 3g crap at the minute. Just want a phone with SymbianOS to play with. Also, I was a Vodafone(/Eircom) customer originally and after the shi*e service I got off them there's no way I'd go back. I'm happy with my Meteor and my free txt msgs :) Can alway's change at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Also, I was a Vodafone(/Eircom) customer originally and after the shi*e service I got off them there's no way I'd go back. I'm happy with my Meteor and my free txt msgs :) Can alway's change at some stage in the future.

eircom just bought meteor :D :v:

Oh I know. Still got my free msgs though so I'm sticking with them for the time being:D

Advertisement