Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank Transfers

• 10-12-2005 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

Didn't know where to put this thread ( i couldn't find the online selling/buying forum :o )

anyways i am planning on buying runners from hong kong and am paying by bank transfer, how safe are they? and are they instant?

Thanks FI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Better location, and IIRC they only discussed it recently.
    AFAIK: There's a charge associated (Apparently less if you have the IBANN), they can take a few days to a few weeks to clear, as for safety: there is a paper trail..but unfortunately, once you transfer the money it's theirs, so if the deal goes tits-up .. you'll have an uphill struggle.
    Do they offer _any_ other methods of payment? (A 'no' to this would make me cautious..)
    Try 3V? Or Paypal..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Karoma wrote:
    Better location, and IIRC they only discussed it recently.
    AFAIK: There's a charge associated (Apparently less if you have the IBANN), they can take a few days to a few weeks to clear, as for safety: there is a paper trail..but unfortunately, once you transfer the money it's theirs, so if the deal goes tits-up .. you'll have an uphill struggle.
    Do they offer _any_ other methods of payment? (A 'no' to this would make me cautious..)
    Try 3V? Or Paypal..?

These are the options, which would be best?
    I asked about CC but he doesn't/can't accept CC
    We accept payment ways:
    1.Western Union money transfer
    2.Bank wire transfer
    3.Money Gram.

Its an ebay powerseller's own website, he seems legit

€55 for a pair i would pay €140 for here

Bank wire transfer is probably the 'safest'..

Karoma wrote:
    Bank wire transfer is probably the 'safest'..

ok thanks ;)

ill let boards know about the site if it all goes well because €55(shipped/insurance) for runners that cost €140 here is excelent, and shipping is meant to only take 3-4 :D

fingers crossed
    post in Bargain Alerts if it goes well ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

gl with the deal m8.just makes me a bit wary when i see people only use those payment options.no real come back on any of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The seller is almost certainly going to rip you off. eBay recommend that you avoid 'instant transfer' payment methods such as Western Union like the plague - See http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/mrkt_safety/instantcashtransfer.html#western

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Personally, anyone who accepts western union automatically becomes dodgy in my books. I wouldn't be half surprised if he never ships the shoes. I wouldn't risk it myself. But its up to you.

RainyDay wrote:
    The seller is almost certainly going to rip you off. eBay recommend that you avoid 'instant transfer' payment methods such as Western Union like the plague - See http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/mrkt_safety/instantcashtransfer.html#western

He's a power seller with over 2000 sales i think, ive used western union before to buy dvds from hong kong and they came :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The banks will most likely charge you about 20 euros to perform the transfer to a non-eu bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

He's a power seller with over 2000 sales i think, ive used western union before to buy dvds from hong kong and they came :)

Its a scam. These stats can be forged...

In every option they get money first with no strings attached, no way of getting it back. Ebay have warned about this, and have warned against these type of transfers. They recommend PayPal, and yes I know they own it, but you get insurance with it.

You have been warned.

Lush wrote:
    Its a scam. These stats can be forged...

In every option they get money first with no strings attached, no way of getting it back. Ebay have warned about this, and have warned against these type of transfers. They recommend PayPal, and yes I know they own it, but you get insurance with it.

You have been warned.

How can the stats be forged?

The site is http://www.cyht666.com/ i dunno i think im gonna chance my arm. The owner always seems to be on msn is there any questions i could ask him to find out whether he is dodgy or not :confused:

multiple accounts, friends in on it, etc...

he could be legit. (There are contact details on his site which is a positive), it's just that most scammers employ "these methods only" .. it's your money.

Karoma wrote:
    multiple accounts, friends in on it, etc...

he could be legit. (There are contact details on his site which is a positive), it's just that most scammers employ "these methods only" .. it's your money.

but don't you need ID etc to open a bank account, he would hardly go to so much hassle to start a website(its pretty well laid out and has a lot of content(runners)) to rip a few people off

I don't know what to do now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

hey lads i found this on his website http://www.cyht666.com/leave.asp#

Don't bother trying to educate OP - He's hell-bent on sending money to some unknown scammer in the search for 'great deal'. The only way he's going to learn is by losing his money.

Roll on the next post in a few weeks complaining desperately about eBay scammers.....

I'm getting the popcorn ready to watch the drama when he gets ripped off by this dude. Basically what you're going to do is give a total stranger a bucketload of cash, when in his own message board theres people who've paid and havn't gotten their goods. That, combined with our warnings really should stop you.

But maybe you have money to burn, so fire ahead! And pray the guy bothers his ass sending out some kind of runner. But i doubt it personally.

As for the website, its horrible. You could throw that kinda thing up in 2 days including all the photos. And for the payoff he'd get (people like you willing to send him money using unsecure payment options) its WELL worth the two days to design the page, and €10 for the hosting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The 3 payment methods you suggested are all not safe. You have no comeback if they disappear with your money.

As for the powerseller it is very easy forge it.

is there any questions i could ask him to find out whether he is dodgy or not
    Yes, one very simple question: Do you take Paypal?

If the answer is no, and he can't offer any other similar secure/insured payment option, then don't deal with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Jesus Christ is this guy ****ing retarded? He has to be uneducated at least...seriously. DON'T BUY TRAINERS OFF THIS DUDE! JUST GO TO EBAY.COM AND GET A GOOD DEAL! Don't be so ****ing stupid for the love of God!

• Advertisement

:cool:
    How can the stats be forged?

The site is http://www.cyht666.com/ i dunno i think im gonna chance my arm. The owner always seems to be on msn is there any questions i could ask him to find out whether he is dodgy or not :confused:

Think about it... This scabby looking website is selling top brands in footware, luggage, watches, womens designer accessories etc... from an address in CHINA???!!! Dealing online, but will only accept payement via wired cash???!!!

Come on wake up and smell the wet paint on the forgeries!!! If you get a delivery of a product all you'll get is a ripped off forgery at best...

Still, its your money, and you did ask, and you have been advised against buying, so you're going in with plenty of advise, the choice is yours.

cheesedude wrote:
    Jesus Christ is this guy ****ing retarded? He has to be uneducated at least...seriously. DON'T BUY TRAINERS OFF THIS DUDE! JUST GO TO EBAY.COM AND GET A GOOD DEAL! Don't be so ****ing stupid for the love of God!

So you know for certain he is going to rip me off? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Just thought id let a few boards buddys know that the above aint me. So for thread spoiling.

So you know for certain he is going to rip me off? :rolleyes:

Do what you want man. I couldn't give a flying ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

RainyDay wrote:
    Don't bother trying to educate OP - He's hell-bent on sending money to some unknown scammer in the search for 'great deal'.

That's a ridiculous statement.

Not everyone wants to use Paypal.
    Hundreds of millions of Western Union transactions take place every year without any problems.

Yes, the deal sounds fishy (my instinct is the goods are replicas) but you cannot say it is a scam.

Yes, the OP could be ripped off and there's little he can do about it. Yes, the seller could be using a hacked ebay account. But assuming everyone from China who uses Western Union is a scammer sounds a tad racist/paranoid to me.

dublindude wrote:

Hundreds of millions of Western Union transactions take place every year without any problems.

Yes, the deal sounds fishy (my instinct is the goods are replicas) but you cannot say it is a scam.

Yes, the OP could be ripped off and there's little he can do about it. Yes, the seller could be using a hacked ebay account. But assuming everyone from China who uses Western Union is a scammer sounds a tad racist/paranoid to me.

True i bought 30 DVD movies from a very dodgy looking site before, i paid through western union they came from thailand. I got them within a month. With sites like these its hit and miss but if you hit and do get what you want its a nice saving, very nice in some cases :D

cheesedude wrote:
    Do what you want man. I couldn't give a flying ****!

you seem to be getting pissed off about this, calm a little its not your money, i am thinking twice about buying now because of them comments posted on the actual site

dublindude wrote:

Be careful where you make allegations of racism. I never mentioned China. I don't care if the seller is in China or Carlow, if he is on eBay and he is insisting on untraceable payment methods like WU, he is almost certainly a scammer.

I never stated that all WU transactions are dodgy. But WU & eBay is a bad mixture. BBC Watchdog covered this issue just last week, and eBay advised "Never pay with instant money transfer services that send cash instantly - regardless of how good the seller's feedback is"

To state that "there's little he can do about it" is just plain wrong. There is everything he can do about it. To state the bleeding obvious, he can NOT send money by an untraceable payment method specifically NOT recommended by eBay.

Do you ever think ebay say such bad things about western union because they want you to use paypal so they can get another 3.2% of the sale price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Personally, anyone who accepts western union automatically becomes dodgy in my books. I wouldn't be half surprised if he never ships the shoes. I wouldn't risk it myself. But its up to you.

*glares* I've accepted Western Union in the past (did some work for someone in Australia).

But yes, unless it's an obviously trust-worthy person like me :), bit dodgy.

dublindude wrote:
    Do you ever think ebay say such bad things about western union because they want you to use paypal so they can get another 3.2% of the sale price?
    Did you know that any purchases through ebay are free of charge when paid through paypal? Well, they are! (as far as i know)

Did you know that any purchases through ebay are free of charge when paid through paypal? Well, they are! (as far as i know)

Are you sure...? I don't think so...

I could be wrong though.

Anyway, I do believe Western Union can be dodgy, but I also believe it's sillly to should "FRAUD!!" everytime someone wants to use them...

Just researched this.

It's free for the person sending the money (the buyer), but the person receiving the money (the seller) has to pay a fee.

1.9% + £0.20 GBP to 3.4% + £0.20 GBP.

And of course there can be fees to withdraw the money. And there are currency conversion fees.

This has got to be part of the reason ebay pimp paypal so hard (i.e. don't give scary Western Union your transaction fees!)

dublindude wrote:
    Just researched this.

It's free for the person sending the money (the buyer), but the person receiving the money (the seller) has to pay a fee.

1.9% + £0.20 GBP to 3.4% + £0.20 GBP.

And of course there can be fees to withdraw the money. And there are currency conversion fees.

This has got to be part of the reason ebay pimp paypal so hard (i.e. don't give scary Western Union your transaction fees!)

Come on, PayPal has full traceability and is insured upto stg£500. Ebay bought PayPal because it makes good business sense to look after your clients & make money at the same time...its not a charity. WU & other wire transfers still make money, but don't offer the same secuity.

Regarding the seller paying the fee, thats what happens when you buy anything with your credit card, the seller always pays a %age, thats why you have a minimum spend with cc in some shops.

Yes, but my point it, be aware ebay destroy Western Union/etc. because they want to make more money from you by you using paypal.

• Advertisement

No no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dublindude wrote:
    Yes, but my point it, be aware ebay destroy Western Union/etc. because they want to make more money from you by you using paypal.
    You're missing the key point. Paypal is traceable. WU is not. You choose......

RainyDay wrote:
    You're missing the key point. Paypal is traceable. WU is not. You choose......

No, you're missing the key point! Ebay pimp paypal and try to make out western union to be a disaster so the user will be afraid, use paypal, and give ebay an extra 3.2% on top of the commission they've already gotten...

I'm not at all suggesting western union doesn't have problems, but assuming all western union transactions will result in fraud is just plain silly (I've been using western union for years and have never had any problems.)

Lots of businesses cannot get a paypal account for whatever reasons.

Anyway, we've both made our points. Time for the OP to make up his mind!

dublindude wrote:
    No, you're missing the key point! Ebay pimp paypal and try to make out western union to be a disaster so the user will be afraid, use paypal, and give ebay an extra 3.2% on top of the commission they've already gotten...
    So you reckon the huge number of complaints that (for example) BBC Watchdog got about eBay/WU fraud had nothing to do with their decision to warn users about WU?
    dublindude wrote:
    I'm not at all suggesting western union doesn't have problems, but assuming all western union transactions will result in fraud is just plain silly (I've been using western union for years and have never had any problems.)
    I don't think anyone on this thread suggested or assumed that all WU transactions would result in fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

eBay Ireland & UK have now banned WU payments - See http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/safe-payments-policy.html

Advertisement