Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael and the Reform Movement

Options
  • 11-12-2005 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

I found this link http://www.reform.org/ on the South Dublin Young Fine Gael website http://www.freewebs.com/dublinsouth/links.htm
    I'm not sure if Fine Gael actually support the Reform Movement or what their attitude towards them is - John Bruton is affiliated with them I think. I'd like to see a debate about the merrits and demerrits (which there are many) of rejoining the Commonwealth. I understand the moderators are getting annnoyed about the amount of NI threads so if we could leave that aside, aswell as Sinn Fein/IRA bashing and the "we fought them for 800 years" rhetoric.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No, we should not rejoin the commonwealth, whether its a British one, a French one, a Chinese one etc.
    We are an independent nation with our own parliamentary democratic republic and it should stay that way at least in my lifetime!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Hey just to clarify a couple of points:

The Dublin South branch of YFG is notoriously conservative. Looking at the committee I can guarantee that at least one of them is an active member of the FreeDumb Institute and others are really quite conservative.

And no, the Reform Movement, is not affiliated with Fine Gael or Young Fine Gael; nor is it endorsed by it.

And no, we shouldn't re-join the Commonwealth; we're in the EU and WTO and that will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

gurramok wrote:
    No, we should not rejoin the commonwealth, whether its a British one, a French one, a Chinese one etc.
    We are an independent nation with our own parliamentary democratic republic and it should stay that way at least in my lifetime!
    I take it from your post that you would also advocate withdrawal from the EU then as the EU has far more say in the internal affairs of ireland than the Commonwealth of Indepenent Nations (It isn't called the British Commonwealth anymore) would have. I have no political motivation for or against us rejoining the Commonwealth, but if it's able to increase trade then why the hell not? Plenty of small independent states are members of it. It wouldn't be in my "urgent" pile, but it wouldn't be a problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

murphaph wrote:
    I take it from your post that you would also advocate withdrawal from the EU then as the EU has far more say in the internal affairs of ireland than the Commonwealth of Indepenent Nations (It isn't called the British Commonwealth anymore) would have. I have no political motivation for or against us rejoining the Commonwealth, but if it's able to increase trade then why the hell not? Plenty of small independent states are members of it. It wouldn't be in my "urgent" pile, but it wouldn't be a problem for me.
    I share a lot of your sentiments about trade etc. but as was mentioned earlier Ireland is in the EU as is Britain (our main trader) so it wouldn't really be necessary. On top of that the British Queen would be recognised as our head of state which I believe would compromise our sovereignty. The head of State of Ireland should be Irish (not English, not French, not any other nationality). In joining the Commonwealth, we might also be seen to be endorsing a monarchy which most people now accept as a stupid concept (especially in modern times).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

murphaph wrote:

Diorraing answered that question.
    We are supposed to move on from the past not back to the past(rejoin commonwealth). The EU is our future and is not monarchic.
    I'm glad Angry Banana clarified FG position as i thought R Bruton was a good debater on the budget and just might sway my vote :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Diorraing wrote:
    On top of that the British Queen would be recognised as our head of state
    No she wouldn't. There are several republics in the Commonwealth -- India, South Africa....

That said, the Commonwealth is nothing but a social club for third world kleptocrats and their guilt-ridden former colonial masters. I see no advantage to this country from joining it.

Advertisement