Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Connection Issues ~ Again

• 11-12-2005 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

I posted a while ago about issues I'm having with my Wireless Connection and these still haven't changed so I'm hoping that someone can help me out.

I'm usinga Zyxel Wireless router and PCIMIA card with a Dell Laptop using Windows XP. When I use the router with the ethernet cable it works fine, when I don't I get intermittent connection drops.

I tried to secure the connection using WEP, with the following steps.

1. Log onto router and enter WEP code and enable
    2. Unplug ethernet cable
    3. Launch PCIMIA utility and configure to look for SSID and encryption code
    4. Scan and connect

Normally it picks up the connection and gives me a signal excellent message and it works fine for the first 5 seconds but then when I try to view other pages I get the generic "page cannot be displayed" message. The only way to get it working again is to plug in the LAn cable or remove the encryption and leave it open.

Anybody any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

So..it works OK without any encryption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

yep, works without encryption and I can use it, however it seems that the connection is far slower and drops a lot more when I'm using it that way than using the ethernet cable.

I think that the reason for this is other users deliberately/accidently using my connection. I live in an apartment block and I can see a number of SSIDs when I scan for a signal.

edit: Now it isn't working at all. I reset the encryption and connected the wireless card up to it. I got an excellent signal and link quality, still no joy with the webpages though. So I plugged back in the ethernet cable except now that doesn't work either. So i've no way to access the router to reset it and the reset button is leaving me with no access as well.

I'm using an ethernet modem at the moment but this is going to drive me bananas. Yes I'm a keyboard bashing monkey but someone please help me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

well if u've reset the router to factory default and can't connect to it in order ot configure it as it details in the manual, then I reckong it's fubar'd and I'd return it to get a replacement.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Before you fire it in the bin, can you access the modem's config page wirelessly with / without wep? Your firewall may be limiting access to the internet though your wireless network card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

yep, works without encryption and I can use it
    What encryption/strength? (Check that the card can support this as well..)

however it seems that the connection is far slower and drops a lot more when I'm using it that way than using the ethernet cable.
    I live in an apartment block and I can see a number of SSIDs when I scan for a signal.
    Interference!?
    Download and run NetStumbler - and takea note of SSID + channels used.
    Then, set your router up again on a free channel which +/- 2 channel difference minimum!

Reset the router again and ensure that you've removed previous connection attempts settings.
    If it's still not working via wired or wireless -> try another card/computer (Ask a neighbour?;)). Failing this... it's goosed as sugested above. Contact the manufacturer..

• Advertisement
Advertisement