Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joshua Radin - "First Between 3rd & 4th"

Options
  • 11-12-2005 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭

... yeah, i know what you're thinking...... WHO?!?

Bit of background info required first then:

First time i heard any of his material was in a very popular episode in the 3rd series of fantastic TV show 'Scrubs' in which it's played at a infamous funeral scene. The song then generated a great buzz among fans on the Internet who discovered it was by an upcoming artist named Joshua Radin.

I then set about finding his EP entitled "First Between 3rd & 4th" expecting a decent enough album. What i got was some of the most promising material from a singer / songwriter in years.

Since then, i've heard practically all of the songs on the EP feature in the latter part of the 4th season of Scrubs... and also a fantastic new song (not on the EP) entitled 'Closer' was also in an episode recently.

Anyways, a track-by-track breakdown:

1. Winter - this is the song that generated all the Internet buzz when used in an episode of 'Scrubs'. Trying to wax lyrical here so i'll describe it as a simple wistful song but full of emotion. An amazing and quite heart-wrenching song.

2. Girlfriend in a Coma - most fans of The Smiths / Morrisey reading this will recognise this as a cover. Again, i love this song and while the lyrics are questionable (Morrisey fans.. don't hate me!), it really is quite an excellent song (oh and by the way, i haven't heard the original).

3. Don't Look Away - quite a change in pace from the previous two. A more funky and upbeat song which you can't help but bop along to that chorus.

4. Today - staying slightly upbeat with another cheerful little ditty which is about as close to pop as the EP gets.

5. The One You Knew - the pace slows down for a song with Radin's voice on full strength and going through the emotions for this song. The slight sound of a backing violin complements Radin's voice perfectly through this song.

6. Do You Wanna - the pace remains for a slow and simple song with (like 'Winter') the emphasis bravely being on Radin's voice for most of the song.. and he really pulls it off.

So.. there is is! An EP running it at just over 19 minutes but definantly some of the most promising stuff i've heard in a long time. His MySpace.com Area says he's a full album due and i for one, can't wait!

SERIOUSLY... GET THIS EP!!... Seems to be currently not available on Amazon.com but find it somehow.

PS - if you don't believe me how good his stuff is, check out his MySpace.com Area to hear 4 of his songs (3 from the EP and new song 'Closer').

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

I'm looking forward to his full cd release, that will be out one of these days.. *laughs* I can't wait either! sadly I havn't gotten the EP =/ but the songs I have heard have such a nice sound to them that I know this guy is good.

So happy to see him name around, he seems like a lovely person as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Joshua's full length album "We Were Here" has now been released on iTunes!

Download it via iTunes here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Closer is a song worth listening to imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

thanks for the heads up basquille..
    i've now 'aquired' all four seasons of scrubs soundtracks after hearing this guy.. some amazing stuff on there.. just gotta keep up to date with season 5 now..
    can't seem to get hold of joshua's album anywhere though..
    it's not in the shops and it's not on cdwow (would love to use my £5 vouchers)
    think i just might have to go ahead and make my first ever itunes purchase..

[edit] you should check out some of josheph arthur's stuff, similar style..[/edit]

Advertisement