Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Wireless Service

• 11-12-2005 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

How many engineers have digiweb?

I have been waiting for over a month to get a fcekin site survey done! Surely they can't be that busy. Before I ordered I was told that it would at most take me 3-4 to get a site survey done. When I called up recently they said that it would be 7-8 weeks from when I ordered it!
    Anyone else had this problem? What is Digiweb wireless like anyways?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It makes IBB look like wet string running telegraph messages.

I waited 55 days.

They are a victim of their own success and other ISPs incompetance. Also since their wirels does maybe 14km and others balk at 4 or 5km it is the only solution for many.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'm waiting weeks to get them to come and disconnect their equipment and take it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've been waiting since mid October for a wireless install. The latest date I've been given is sometime in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

It depends where you are. If you're in Dublin, you are probably on a long waiting list. I am in Galway and I had mine installed in 4 working days. The lads who installed mine were covering Galway and Limerick.
    What is Digiweb wireless like anyways?

I was on BT broadband 2MB service and Metro is a huge improvement on that. I haven't had any probs yet:D But a lot of people on here have had problems with the service, so it depends on a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

I'm waiting since Nov 3rd for a survey in Navan
    Rang them before Christmas and was told the have run out of equipment.
    I asked if they could give me an ETA. Was told "if you'r not contacted then we have no update"

Tossers

• Advertisement

Prosta wrote:
    I'm waiting since Nov 3rd for a survey in Navan
    Rang them before Christmas and was told the have run out of equipment.
    I asked if they could give me an ETA. Was told "if you'r not contacted then we have no update"

Tossers
    I'm waiting since Oct 16th and I was also told in early December that they had ran out of equipment. After speaking to one of the managers it seems that the installation could still be as late as early Feb. They are getting that equipment this week or the next it seems.

Well it works much better than IBB when you do get it. Worth waiting for.

I'm now told they should be out 3rd week in Feb to do the survey.
    They keep asking how close I am to Johnstown in Navan.
    Wonder where their base is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Digiweb are a pathetic joke. I have been waiting since July 2004 to get my line of sight done. Every time I phone them up they just say that they dont know when an engineer(i dont even think they understand the true meaning of that word, a technician would be more appropriate IDIOTS) will be out.

In the mean time Net1 have been out and checked my site pretty promptly and they are a far smaller company. Going with Net1 was a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Hmmm... I'm in Galway and have been waiting since Nov17th... apparently they'll be out either the end of this week or beginning of next week... we'll see what happens...

• Advertisement

Maskhadov wrote:

In the mean time Net1 have been out and checked my site pretty promptly and they are a far smaller company. Going with Net1 was a no brainer.

per www.broadband.gov.ie (Navan), Digiweb are my only option.
    My exchange is adsl ready but I'm too far out.
    Only other alternative is satellite which wont handle my online gaming addiction.
    Went and put an antenna and ethernet bridge on the ariel pole only to be told TaraWan.net probably wont be accessable either.

:mad:

If anyone knows an alternative, please let me know

Got a call from Digiweb last Wed.
    They came out to do survey on Thursday.
    Failed - 2 bar signal. Minimum 4 bars. My LoS was good but outside range.
    Asked if they do a long range service for more money. I'm told Ice Comms do.
    Digiweb dont.

I'm 12.5km and it's fine. I wonder how far you are?

Watty, could the range for the ordinary FWA products be less than the Metro service??

Mind you, I'm about 9 km from the transmitter and the service is OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭opinionated

How many engineers have digiweb?

I have been waiting for over a month to get a fcekin site survey done! Surely they can't be that busy. Before I ordered I was told that it would at most take me 3-4 to get a site survey done. When I called up recently they said that it would be 7-8 weeks from when I ordered it!
    Anyone else had this problem? What is Digiweb wireless like anyways?
    Been waitin since the start of november for that site survey...I was always being told that it would be in a fortnight and then the fortnight after that and so on...so I cancelled it...mainly because I didn't want the Homewave service but also because of the time that it took for them to come or rather not to come...
    Anyways, later on in the evening as I was trying to recieve an e-mail with pictures (it took an hour for a relatively small e-mail) I decided that there was no alternative than to go with digiweb so I called them up and my main question was When will I get a site survey done? The woman on the phone checked on the computer and told me 3-4 weeks...when I told her that I was waiting since November when she herself told me that it would only be 3-4 weeks, she looked at the computer again and said that it would be two weeks...
    I'm going to make up my mind should I order it or not...should I? I'm thinkin of gettin the Bizwave one...

No idea of FWA range, but it is an old system. Metro supposed to be a good. Only Wimax alleged to be better.

watty wrote:
    I'm 12.5km and it's fine. I wonder how far you are?

?????
    They told me their site is on the Trim Rd which is the other side of Navan from me but its deffo < 10k.
    I'd asked for their Bizwave service. Is that FWA?
    Guess I dont have LoS after all. :mad:

Well I upgraded my order to BizWave today...so it should only take about a year to get a site survey done...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

hi
    live about 2.5 miles outside rathdowney, laois (actually in donaghmore).
    placed my order for DIGIWEB wireless on 17JAN last. was told 2-3 for site-survey, and all going well (meaning it passed survey) would be installed there and then.

guess what?
    have not heard a thing from them since!! and from the looks at previous replies to this thread it will prob be a long while OR never!!

what is their actual wireless service like? is it good? my friends say i should ring them up but i am tempted to leave it another 4 weeks just see if they are really as bad as people say!!

--laoisfan

They have two completely different Wireless systems, one is Metro, a kind of Digital Cable via Wireless (with TV later, but phone now), and the other a more traditional FWA system that can't go as fast (2M I think compared with 3 to 5 on Metro) and can't support separate Phone and TV service.

Both are hugely better than the basic built in aerial on a box IBB wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

laoisfan wrote:

hi
    placed my order for DIGIWEB wireless on 17JAN last. was told 2-3 for site-survey, and all going well (meaning it passed survey) would be installed there and then.

guess what?
    have not heard a thing from them since!! and from the looks at previous replies to this thread it will prob be a long while OR never!!

what is their actual wireless service like? is it good? my friends say i should ring them up but i am tempted to leave it another 4 weeks just see if they are really as bad as people say!!

--laoisfan

got digiweb installed today, not bad considering i ordered it on 17JAN last. so far i am impressed. am on their cheapest home wireless option (35euro per month) so will see. it certainly appears no slower or faster than ISDN but it is have the cost i am paying eircom. tomorrow i sever my eircom isdn account plus eircom.net internet 150 option....am looking forward to that!!!!!

only thing is digiweb did not leave a direct-debit mandate for me to fill, they have my bank details (over phone) but surely that does not constitute permission to deduct from my account!! guess i will just keep an eye on my bank account and on the post to see if anything is taken or arrives!!

--laoisfan

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

laoisfan wrote:

only thing is digiweb did not leave a direct-debit mandate for me to fill, they have my bank details (over phone) but surely that does not constitute permission to deduct from my account!! guess i will just keep an eye on my bank account and on the post to see if anything is taken or arrives!!

--laoisfan

In the light of other threads re digiweb's billing you certainly should.:rolleyes:

However you raise an interesting point - ISP's now seem to be setting up dd's over the phone (a friend of mine rececntly set one up with NTL over the phone) does anyone know if this is proper procedure - I always thought a dd have to be signed by the account holder????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

watty wrote:
    They have two completely different Wireless systems, one is Metro, a kind of Digital Cable via Wireless (with TV later, but phone now), and the other a more traditional FWA system that can't go as fast (2M I think compared with 3 to 5 on Metro) and can't support separate Phone and TV service.

Both are hugely better than the basic built in aerial on a box IBB wireless.

I don't know what the exact maximum on 2.4GHz is, but I'm sure it's at least 5Mbps. I'd say the limitation is either backhaul or sector bandwidth.

In urban areas, the issue is not distance in any event, it's contention. IBB's 5.7Ghz service is probably good for 30km's but you can't run a service like that because your sectors will be majorly oversubscribed. This is why IBB have a lot of masts in Dublin with a 5km radius. Unfortunately they still can't manage it properly, so I'm somewhat sceptical about Digiweb being able to do 40:1 contention with three masts in Dublin even if they are more competent etc. It seems a very contention to me, if you consider that NTL uses 17:1 with similar technological limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Been waiting since December and I get the feeling they're not interested in installing in this community. The problem with this is it's creating a false idea that we have broadband in certain areas, when in fact we don't.

Well Laoisfan you will be waitin...I placed my order on the 4th of November, 2005 and am still waitin...I was told in January that they were gettin in more equipment and was told that I would get a call durin the week...So that seemed okay...the problem is that that was repeated to me this morning...
    laoisfan wrote:

hi

guess what?

--laoisfan

Despite claims that there is lack of demand for BB, some operators obviously experience the opposite.

Advertisement