Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Tickets

• 11-12-2005 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭

Has anybody who applied for Ireland tickets for the World Cup received their refunds from FIFA yet?

I paid €700 in the summer for guaranteed tickets if we qualified. As we didn't qualify, I'm due a refund (less admin fee of course).

I paid by bank transfer as they would only accept Mastercard for credit card payments (not Visa)

Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am going to move this to the Soccer forum.

I think you will get a better response there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't know about Ireland tickets but I applied for single game tickets, if I do not get any they will give me my money back in July. Bit of a joke to say the least. I wrote a post ages ago about how much I was pissed off about world up tickets, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit:
    As Ireland have failed to qualify I know it's unlikely, but has anybody else tried to buy tickets for next year's World Cup? It's a bit of a joke to say the least.

I live in Cologne so I have applied for tickets for each of the 5 games in Cologne but experience a few problems while doing so. First of all tickets range from €40-€100 for group games and up to €125 for the second round game taking place in Cologne. I could only apply for the most expensive tickets and then click a box saying I would be willing to accept cheaper tickets if the most expensive tickets were sold out. In other words Fifa are forcing people to buy the most expensive tickets first, so even if the games don't sell out they'll make the most money possible. How can that be legal? Surely I should have a choice.

Secondly they want me to give them €260 for 2 tickets (since I applied for the second round game which costs up to €130 per ticket) in advance (ie right now) stating that I will be refunded the money sometime next summer if my application is not successful or I will be refunded the difference to my credit card if the tickets turn out to be cheaper than €130. Also €5 of that is a delivery fee (a joke since I'm picking tickets up at the stadium should I get some, and they still charge €5). If my application is not successful I will not get that €5 back for either ticket. So they're making €5 on every unsuccesful ticket application.

Finally since mastercard are sponsors of the world cup the only method of payment they take are either a German bank account transfer or Mastercard. Luckily I have both but I'm sure this would be a problem for many people outside Germany.

Complete and utter joke... but I paid anyway. World cups take place every 4 years, probably every 12 years in Europe from now on. I don't ever see there being a chance of being able to go to a World Cup game 5km from my front door again, so I just had to go for it.

So you see how much Fifa are milking this. Will probably hold onto your money for as long as possible to make more interest off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Royale with Cheese, have you heard anything yet as to whether you were successful in your application?
    I've literally applied for tickets in the last hour or so - picked specific matches in Hamburg and Frankfurt so I'll have to wait for February now to see if I'm lucky (I presume). Going to head over anyway so I don't mind too much if they hold onto the money for now - but I do think it's a massive scam holding onto (hundreds of?) thousands of people's money for what seems quite a long period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I paid €1900 (I think) for four sets of tickets, and I've received my refund.

I got €1860 back last week.

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    Royale with Cheese, have you heard anything yet as to whether you were successful in your application?
    I've literally applied for tickets in the last hour or so - picked specific matches in Hamburg and Frankfurt so I'll have to wait for February now to see if I'm lucky (I presume). Going to head over anyway so I don't mind too much if they hold onto the money for now - but I do think it's a massive scam holding onto (hundreds of?) thousands of people's money for what seems quite a long period of time.

The first round of sales (not really sales but giving out tickets to people who have applied and paid alot of money to do so) begins today, and lasts about a month. Then there's another month of sales around February sometimes. Just checked my status and it says in the waiting list. I've heard the odds aren't good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Sky News said there are 10 million applicants in this round.

Pal wrote:
    Eek! at least i've got the accomodation and flights cheap enough - we'll go to the cities for the matches anyway, should hopefully be a decent (/amazing) athmosphere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Pal wrote:

not the greatest chance of being succesful then!!

i wouldnt mind going to holland v argentina:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

and that was on the first day of the process !!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Pal wrote:

Rubbish. According to the official FIFA site where you buy the tickets there were 150,000 applications so far this round but it remians open until the start of January

Ok somebody who actually has a fair idea of how the process is handled... I applied for all games in Cologne, 3 of them being games involving African teams against decent European teams. I'm guessing my chances of getting tickets are better than most as these games will most likely not have sold out by now (no offence to Africa but I doubt the supporters of these teams will be flocking to Germany next summer). Does anybody actually have some correct figures and not just numbers that newspapers are throwing around? What do people reckon my chances of getting tickets are?

Ok just checked the fifa website and it says like Kingp35 said 150'000 so far this round. However I applied last round, this could be where the 10 million figure is coming from. Tickets for last rounds applicants are sold during this application period. Tickets for this application period are sold in March or sometime around then.

Edit: Ok didn't realise this round was for general ticket application. I applied for conditional tickets, any tickets returned by countries who sold them in the all nation matches bundle. I don't know where this 10 million number comes from, maybe that's the expected number of applicants.

I think the ten million figure is wrong, haven't seen it anywhere else. There's also an article on the world cup ticketing page relating to the conditional tickets you might want to search for Royale With Cheese, saying there's a good chance with that ticket type...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

FIFA website claims 150,000 orders for 1 million tickets in the first 12 hours. Sales last a month and 250,000 tickets available so 4 times oversubscribed already.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/tickets/index.html

I didn't see the Sky report but orders for 10 million tickets is not a bad guess although i doubt if that figure has been reached yet. Now allowing for the fact that many of the applicants will be looking for England/Holland/Germany etc it still seems like all games will totally sellout.

Advertisement