Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel pushed forward...

Options
  • 11-12-2005 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

My dad was reversing his 03 Micra and managed to catch the front drivers side wheel on a pillar (How on earth he did that I dont know).

Now im not near the car so I cant really see the damage myself, bu the way he explained it is the front driver wheel has been pushed forward about an inch and is bend inwards.

Any idea what damage and to what parts he could have done? Costly job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oops!

The likely damage would be stressed CV joint, distorted track rod and track rod-end joints and the drive shaft and maybe the sub frame.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Here are some pics of what *looks* to be the only thing thats bent, the wishbone. Is this a main dealer part? For this part am I looking at serious money buying from Nissan? Could he be lucky and this be the only thing thats off (apart from tracking which is no big deal as long as the track rod isint stressed etc). The strut has not been creased (thank god). Also, would be be covered on his own insurance to get this fixed? He's fully comp.. Or does that only work if youve been in a crash

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

It looks like it's just the wishbone that is damaged.

He must have given it some rap to do that kind of damage ! :D

Why don't you see if you can source a secondhand wishbone (here or in the north) and get a local mechanic to fit it ?

Personally, if it was my car (being an ex-panel beater), I would purchase a s/h wishbone, fit it, and see how things are before I'd go buying a cv joint, track rod end, etc.

Silvera wrote:
    It looks like it's just the wishbone that is damaged.

He must have given it some rap to do that kind of damage ! :D

Why don't you see if you can source a secondhand wishbone (here or in the north) and get a local mechanic to fit it ?

Personally, if it was my car (being an ex-panel beater), I would purchase a s/h wishbone, fit it, and see how things are before I'd go buying a cv joint, track rod end, etc.

Thats for the comment, its exactly what im going doing. My oul man said for the sake of an extra few quid to order a new wishbone. Can't see it being more than 80 quid locally seeing as theyre about 55euro online. I'd prefer to pay the extra and have it overnight.

I reckon il fit it myself, its no biggie, done it on my Rover before. I just hope (for his own wallets sake) that its only the wishbone. We'll see when shes put for for camber/alignment/tracking

Yeah he gave it a fair oul wallop alright, lucky he didnt smash his door/wing aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Wishbone bush would have been squashed and the wishbone has a small crack in it.

• Advertisement

The wishbone bush being the bush on the wheel side yeah?

Advertisement