Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to use?

Options
  • 11-12-2005 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi i want to make beats for rap music but dont know where to start?i heard of hip hop eay and reason but i dont know what there like or even where to get them.i was wondering is pc software like this a good substitute for musical equipment used for making beats like this,and what would the professional famous rappers have used starting out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Firstly stay away from the E-Jay stuff, its just a bunch of samples in a basic sample playing sequencer, its sounds great to ten year olds but all the samples are very very very generic and basic and really wont get you anywhere.

Reason is superb, but its pricey enough (389 euro) if you arent sure this is what you need, but there really isnt anything you cant do with it if you put in the time learning it.

Theres also Rebirth, its a 303,808 and 909 emulator (you might recall the beastie boys line 'nothing sounds quite like an 8 0 8' it refers to the synth this emulates). Its made by the same people who made Reason and is now available freely from www.rebirthmuseum.com , its as good a place to start as any and it wont cost you a cent!

Also Computer Music magazine comes with its own soft studio with some great software. I believe they have a software sampler in it so you could get some orchestral samples to go with your rebirth beats and basslines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

For something a little old school try the free Hammerhead Rhythm Station. It's old and very basic but you can get some excellent old school beats out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

FL Studio would suit your purposes well. It starts at $50 and has free lifetime updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

there's a free open source tracking program valled "buzz" - it supports vst's [virtual studio instruments - an open standard for audio plugins, software synths etc]

my mate has released a full critically acclaimed cd made almost exclusivelty in buzz and the software doesnt cost a penny, theres loads of online forums for production help and faq's, tutorials etc...

the learing curve is quite steep though, and it isn't as user friendly as reason.

reason is a very very good and rather intuitive software package, you can get started pretty much right away and it doesnt take too long to figure out...

hip hop is sample based music so you're going to want a decent sound editor like sound forge or cool edit pro to trim eq and clean up your breaks, there's loads of very good free online breakbeat sites that offer full cd quality .wavs of classic hip hop and drum and bass break samples as well as giving examples of where else they have been used ... [funky drummer, amen, apache, bad sister, skull snaps etc etc]

the best online production forum is over at www.dogsonacid.com - the production forum is called the "grid" - its focussed on all sample based production techniques with a bit of a bias towards drum and bass but theres loads of hip hop producers on there too, and any amount of links to breakbeat and sample sites.

Advertisement