Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick population

Options
  • 11-12-2005 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

hows it goin,i was wandering if anyone can tell me the exact population of the greater limerick area? i know 54,00 in city nd roughly 45,000 in suburbs but does anyone have an official figure? nd please not from the 2002 census where it says its 86000 coz its higher then that now, also population of areas in the city would be cool. cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What project are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

just over 100,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

101,654 i counted them all by myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

irishguy, either you can help Dave with his question or you can't if you can't then Dont post.

Dave. according to an article in the Limerick Post a few weeks ago the population within the city boundry was 52,000.

If you need further information, the people you could contact are the Central Statistics Office, http://www.cso.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I heard that more people live in Tallaght than Limerick?

Dis true?

• Advertisement

it actually is 101,654 estimated by 2007 in the greater limerick area by the limerick city council in the 2004 devlopment plan. page 4

http://www.limerickcorp.ie/services/planning/devplan2004/DevelopmentPlan2004.pdf

I heard that more people live in Tallaght than Limerick?

Dis true?

more people live in Sydney too, what has that to do with anything.

claiming credit for other peoples work....

is bold ;)

62,121 in Tallaght http://www.citypopulation.de/Ireland.html
    52,000 ish in Limerick City

But limerick city boundary is quite small so 100,000ish is a more accurate figure

irishguy wrote:
    62,121 in Tallaght http://www.citypopulation.de/Ireland.html
    52,000 ish in Limerick City

But limerick city boundary is quite small so 100,000ish is a more accurate figure

wonder why tallaught hasn't received a charter if it is that big.

edit: Tallaught Dublin 24 meaning part of dublin City. nevermind.

claiming credit for other peoples work....

is bold ;)

i work for Limerick City councils people counting department :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

wonder why tallaught hasn't received a charter if it is that big

Maybe King John 'Walked the walk' but didn't have time for the 'Talk the talk', on his way through ..... :cool:

img0042.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

i thought i heard somewere that it was in excess of 120,000 think it was the ida website not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Limerick 175,304
    Limerick City 54,023
    Limerick County 121,281

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2002.htm

However, these figures don't deal with the true population distribution of the Midwest region, it's nonsensical to refer to castletroy or Raheen, or indeed much of caherdavin, corbally etc, as part of the county. Nor does it deal with the few thousand residents of Clare who are more-or-less within the city (though I fully accept they want to remain in Clare).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

(though I fully accept they want to remain in Clare).

you can say that again !!!! ..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

www.world-gazetteer.com gives the 2002 census figure as 86 998 and calculates that in 2005 the population should be 90 054.

It's an excellent website, has populations for nearly everywhere, and you're able to link it up with Google Earth too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

the population would be higer as the population increases the rate of growth becomes higher even if the natural rates such as birth rates slow down.

For example Limerick's population grew just as much as Galway in 2002 but the natural growth rate in Galway was nearly 15% between 1996-2002
    Limerick was around 10% in those years.

The Population I would say be nearly 95,000 by then

Anyways Limerick will never have a defined population considering Annacotty and Newport is now part of the Agglomerartion even Parteen and edges aarenot even included in the 86,988. The census figures is total bull!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Bump this old thread.

So it's still head scratching to know the true population of Limerick. Places like Lisnagry, Annacotty and parts of the fringes are still not part of the actual city 91,000 population.

There seems to be such so much atrraction to build houses in Castletroy, Mungret and Dooradoyle it's seems that the whole city is expanding like a blob. The reason is because the country council refuses to work with the city council in creating a proper urban framework plan for growth.

This needs to be adressed. The only way this city can develop into the 21st century is to end the division in this city. It's absaloutely absurd that this corruption and greed has gone on. In the end the whole city will lose out including the county council.

The best bet the county council do at this stage now is to work with the city and give to give the city proper back to the city council. The next job is to expand NCW and make the county capital there. NWC is a fairly big town that has a lot of potential and investement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Aren't they going to address all this mess soon? they asked Ed Walsh to chair it and he said no.

We aren't the only ones though - ref Waterford and Kilkenny. Dublin and Bray. There must be workarounds that ensure proper and sustainable urban growth in C21, without treading on people's GAA sensibilities or car insurance premiums!:D

zombie thread

locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement