Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Re: Loss of power! Automatic Choke?

Options
  • 11-12-2005 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey!
    The title says most of it! When after a cold night or if its not been started for a day or so when i start it (a vw golf mk3) she either cuts out whilst reving a little or she coughs and splurts a little but manages to get back to idle, but if i jump in a drive her she has no power for say 6 or 7 seconds when i change gear but it then kicks back in but it will do this for maybe 5 or 10minutes untill shes been driven a bit. I was at first thinking along the lines of condensation in the fuel or moisture perhaps in the carb or even a faulty plug as she does seem to miss a little sometimes at idle, although i think some vw golf engines sound like that anyways?
    But i read a thread here a couple days ago about a mazda with the same loss of power issue and i think it turned out to be the automatic choke, could i be having the same problem and if so would a few minutes of idle before driveing be the answer? Also i need some advice with what i think may be a shock problem but ill try and get one thing done at a time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Try taking the plugs out and see if they are oil fouled. I used to find on older cars they would be hesitant and run roughly for a while due to oil fouled plugs on a worn engine. however there woild be other symptoms too.
    I however once did have this fault before and it turned out to be a faulty spark plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Had a similar problem earlier this year with a Focus and turned out to be the ignition coil was gone

Advertisement