Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicious attack on Castle Road

Options
  • 11-12-2005 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

A Taxi driver told me yesterday, that there was a murder, stabbing, on Castle Road friday night. I saw that the Garda have it roped off. Didn't know who it was. Did anyone hear anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I heard it was a rape, rather than a murder. Didn't hear any other details though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

it was a rape and stabbing in Castle Gardens, why its not in the national news I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

It was a brutal attack. I know the girl it happened to and she was unrecognisable after. Every time she tried to speak he kicked her in the face - I hope the sick f***er is caught.
    The girl had just had a fight with her boyfriend and stormed off before it happend. Imagine how he feels.

I had the thread title changed by a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Hope she is ok.
    And that they catch the f****r.
    What age of a girl was she?
    Was it Castle Rd. as in the Parade? Where abouts is Castle Gardens?

shes around the same age as me...which makes every female in town worried about their safety in this town at night.

Castle Gardens is behind the doctors surgery on the castle road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HST

Nightwish wrote:
    shes around the same age as me...which makes every female in town worried about their safety in this town at night.

In all fairness Kilkenny isn't the safest places of places to be walking alone at night. It could have happened to anyone. Everyone should be always on the look out when they are walking alone at night.

HST wrote:
    In all fairness Kilkenny isn't the safest places of places to be walking alone at night. It could have happened to anyone. Everyone should be always on the look out when they are walking alone at night.
    I ALWAYS walk home at night rather than queue for a taxi, I'm usually home quicker too. Anyway this type of incident isnt exactly commonplace in the town, so its just frightening that Kilkenny has become such an unsafe place.

She's in her early 20s.
    Crime in KK seems to have increased an awful lot in the last year. I know everyone will be more cautious over Christmas now but its not nice knowing there is someone like that on the loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HST

Nightwish, I have no problem with walking home at night I often do it myself. All I am saying is that you have to be vigilant when doing so. Also it's common sense that there is just some places that you don't go at night.

To say crime is on the increase is just idiotic in my opinion. These is just a more horrible crime. Crime has always been in Kilkenny whether it was some idiot urinating against a wall or the tragedy that happened up the Castle road.

HST wrote:
    Also it's common sense that there is just some places that you don't go at night.
    I would never have considered the Castle Road to be a dangerous part of Kilkenny.
    HST wrote:
    To say crime is on the increase is just idiotic in my opinion.
    4 houses have been broken into in my parents estate in the last month and no one has ever broken in in the past. 1 of the houses belongs to an ex-guard. Crime is definitely getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Serious crime is getting worst. A couple years back things got very dangerous around town with two different areas of the town warring against each other. There was a lot of bad people around. Things had got better but are sadly getting worst again.
    My parents house was robbed a few years back while everyone was inside. There was a spate of robberies in the area that night. They come in groups like that. Although its thought all these robberies were from people from northern counties who come for raids. We now lock all the downstairs doors and had to replace windows to make them more secure.
    Afraid its the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

finlma wrote:
    I would never have considered the Castle Road to be a dangerous part of Kilkenny.

i grew up in kilkenny, lived there until i was 21, i remember as a kid my mother alsways telling me to walk home via patrick st, and not the castle road as it was dangerous... (im from loughboy and those of you from kilkenny will know you can go both ways to get there)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

ye we were always told to go Patrick street way (to larchfield). Partly at the time Castle road was lit dreadfully and the trees were untended, and also the back part of castle was closed off, and there were "STORIES" of undesirables lurking there. (I also have a vague memory of some talk of a local lad attacking people on the road)

I guess its safer on the castle side, no dark alcoves etc, castle gardens is a very quiet place with two entrances/exits, best to avoid int he dark me thinks.

Not that any one should have to factor in "attacks" on which path they take home :(

HST, you are a new poster, maybe you don't realise saying certain things are "idiotic" = calling posters idiotic. And in this instance you are wrong, Kilkenny is presently going thro an increased level of crime. hopefully it will die down again. Overall I think considering the amount of late night activity in town things are pretty good.

I lived in Larchfield all my life up until 2 years ago, and I always walked home by the Castle Rd. I never considered it dangerous. And of course vigilance is a given when walking anywhere at night, but to live in fear of someone like this is wrong.

They spoke about the attack on Crimeline last night. Apparently the attacker was around 5ft 9", blondish hair and well built. The attack happened between 2:30-3:00 on Saturday morning.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

finlma wrote:
    They spoke about the attack on Crimeline last night. Apparently the attacker was around 5ft 9", blondish hair and well built. The attack happened between 2:30-3:00 on Saturday morning.

In fairness I don't think any girl should be walking around town on her own at that time at night, she wasn't exactly looking out for her own safety.

In saying that, I hope they catch the bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

A bit shocked when i heard this myself! Kilkenny has got worse last few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

Cabaal wrote:
    In fairness I don't think any girl should be walking around town on her own at that time at night, she wasn't exactly looking out for her own safety.

In saying that, I hope they catch the bastard

the story i heard was from a dad of a friend of hers and aparently she had gotten a taxi from a party to somewhere a group of people she knew were but when she got there she couldnt get their attention so she decided to walk back to the party to stay there instead.

I heard a rumour today that a guy suspected of this is after committing suicide, anyone hear anything along these lines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Not heard anything. But then I haven't been listening to any local news recently. Is that where you heard about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

finlma wrote:
    It was a brutal attack. I know the girl it happened to and she was unrecognisable after. Every time she tried to speak he kicked her in the face - I hope the sick f***er is caught.
    The girl had just had a fight with her boyfriend and stormed off before it happend. Imagine how he feels.

I had the thread title changed by a mod.

My God what a bastard! I hope she will be okay, but after something like that
    it must be difficult. God bless her.

No prob with the title change.

Heard it from my ma today, dunno where she got it from.

two different people have told me this as well! could be true!!

I heard it too...but thats all it is..a rumour...and the dead cant defend themselves

And know one thinks of the family that just lost a loved one, all they need is this rumour goin around the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

English?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Seems to be an update on this in the Kilkenny Voice

Without wanting to exploit what is in so many ways a tragic situation

1. I remember the chap named from when I was a Scout leader, he was a friend of some of my scouts and he was a bubbly funny friendly guy.

2. I doubt, but would hope, that some person might hear the story , and realise that they themselves need to deal with alcohol in some way. To some extent it has contributed to a brutal assault and an unneccesary death. I have considerable experience of people with drink problems, and while I'd like to blame them for their actions, experience had made me too aware, that like any drug, it can override the humanity and personality of any person.

3. It looks to me like that newspaper had a cover page to "push" itself as the newspaper to buy. I know thats how the media works, that its a business, but I wonder will they grow to regret it, or the manner it was published at least

4. Personally I think the article/photo is obscene. They have forensic evidence to prove this? The Kilkenny Voice is now a judical body? Have they a distorted sense of justice where they can make claims about a person unable to defend himself or respond? Accepting the proof is there (I'm sure they've covered themselves legally, and anyways you can't defame the dead) what purpose does it serve to publish the news in this fashion ? I can't for an instant believe the victim of the attack finds some comfort in it. The Garda could simply of informed her of the situation. And the public informed that the culprit is no longer "at large"

5. The tragedy of suicide needs to be tackled with. While here a specific cause could be indentified, its sad that any person feels so overwhelmed by events/actions that they can't continue living. Imagining a great guilt over the hurt caused to a person (I understand this was out of character entirely) what happened was more hurt was caused to his own family and firends, enduring as long as that girls trauma and memory, and of course his potential ends so early. It's very sad.

Incredibly insensitive article in the KK Voice IMO...local papers shouldnt reduce to the levels of tabloids

• Advertisement

I'm not living in KK any more and the Voice isn't on-line. Can someone summarise what was said?

Advertisement