Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Shearer

• 11-12-2005 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

Just watching the highlights from yesterday's game Vs. Henry FC. He really was quite cynical in alot of his play. He fouled nearly every time he jumped and challenged for the ball. He eventually got booked for backing into Campbell I think it was, but it appears that he should have walked long before that for some of his "play"

It appears that he is still above the law in England. What does everyone think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Definitely. Don't know if people saw the post match interview with him but it was very honest about his style of "play".

He could have been sent off a few times over yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Didnt see the interview, but I suppose he has to be commended to a certain extent for not bullsh1tting

I have it here, but my connection is so sh1te right now that it is tough to upload it. I'll try it later if it has improved.

cheers, im interested to see what he said.

United 1-0 down, great week continuing for man united then....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He basically acknowledged being very physical and said he probably should have been booked for the tackle on Campbell.

• Advertisement

He pretty much admitted to winding Lehmann up: "I'm not daft, we need to get the crowd going here because they can be our twelfth man. When we were getting stuck in like that today they were on the edge of their seats and were our twelfth man."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd feel pretty agrieved if I was an Arsenal fan, comparing Gilberto's challenges to Shearer's. Certainly Shearer had a lot more, one of which was worse than both of Gilberto's. Can't remember who it was on, but it was a late and mis-timed sliding tackle, got nothing on the ball. Maybe sending him off in front of a packed St. James' Park is hard, because he has a god-like status there.
    He was also extremely lucky not to be sent off against Everton a couple of weeks ago when he elbowed David Weir, there was already a thread made about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I will be a happy man when that **** retires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

He was brutal yesterday. How he didn't get sent off I don't know. He's been crap this season, 2goals in 15games is it? rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Shearer uses his attributes to the best of his ability. So what if he is physical, even bordering on what could be classed as dirty at times? So are loads of players, at least he is prepared to take it back.

Pure world class.
    Gangsta wrote:
    He was brutal yesterday. How he didn't get sent off I don't know. He's been crap this season, 2goals in 15games is it? rubbish.
    He's got 3 in 14 in the league. Not a bad return for a 35 year old playing in a mid-table team. He also provides a team with a lot more than just goals.

The Arsenal fans aren't too happy that Shearer bossed them round the park yesterday. The lack of that type of aggression is the only thing that held Arsenal back from being the best team in Europe IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I thought the comment from Wenger was very good:
    "We played well and I just believe we were not protected - every challenge in the air was a foul. We know Alan Shearer can do that in this country."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4494772.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

just watched this on MOTD and Lehman's bodycheck on Parker was by far the worst, cynical, illegal and dangerous tackle in that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Shearers play has always been on the border of been fouling but that is what makes him such a good player. I agree some of his challenges were bad yesterday but its ok when defenders do this so why not strikers?

growler wrote:
    just watched this on MOTD and Lehman's bodycheck on Parker was by far the worst, cynical, illegal and dangerous tackle in that game.

Yea its a pity Lehman isnt an out field player.Thats the kind of stuff Arsenal need to do in these kind of matchs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

mchurl wrote:
    Shearers play has always been on the border of been fouling but that is what makes him such a good player

he is always on the border of fouling? wtf are you on about, the man is a thug and the FA have been leaving him away with it for too long. the border of fouling? lol

I suppose when it comes down to it Newcastle beat a far superior team due in no small part to his style of play, dirty or not

jank wrote:
    Yea its a pity Lehman isnt an out field player.Thats the kind of stuff Arsenal need to do in these kind of matchs.

An indiscriminate elbow into an opponents face??? WTF???

Heres the video of the incident. If this is the kind of thing you want the Arsenal outfielders to do then I give up. Anyone who says he couldn't get out of the way or that it was accidental is clearly blinkered.

http://rapidshare.de/files/9023052/VID0004_EDIT0000.AVI.html
    Growler wrote:

Spot on as ever mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Just watched the clip there, I saw it yesterday on Motd but it gets worse every time you see it. The commentors were saying yestserday its 'goalkeepers protecting themselves' but he clearly changes his body shape and direction in order to cream parker, as well as lifting his elbow. Should be a banned for a couple of games imo.

As for Shearer he is another player i dont like if simply for the fact he didnt sign for united (went seeking the extra money at newcastle -subsequently proved with his national side all he is after is money) and winds up Keane all the time.

I didn't think anyone could accuse Shearer of being a money grabbing mercenary, he's been a very loyal servant to Newcastle and decided to stay there out of a love for the club rather than anything else ( AFAIK).

Sure Shearer is a physical player, his jump with elbows flying is his trademark, he knows what he is doing and it tests the mettle of the defenders who shirk getting into these challenges with him. Fair play, if what he ws doing was illegal he would be sent off, you never see Shearer committing a truly cynical foul and very rarely do you see him dive.

Jank, Lehman won't do you any favours when he gets himself a lenghty and long deserved ban , do you really want to see Almunia or Poom flapping around in the arsenal goal ?

padser wrote:
    As for Shearer he is another player i dont like if simply for the fact he didnt sign for united (went seeking the extra money at newcastle -subsequently proved with his national side all he is after is money) and winds up Keane all the time.
    Do you want some more grapes there?

Shearer's choice to sign for Newcastle is one that can only be admired. He has worn the black and white through thick and thin. He is the epitome of loyalty. I'm sure he's getting handsomely rewarded, but say the only reason he went there was for money in 100% incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Don't see how you can fault Shearer. He knows he can get away with it and he knows it adds to his game. Hes not stupid. I'm sure you'd see him stop if the refs called him on it.

Ideally there would no fouls at all but you have to admit playing a ref or a whole FA even is a positive in a player.

I was taking the urine. Thing is Arsenal get critised by not being able to handle the rough stuff but then do get critised more when an Arsenal Player (Lehman) gets rough with someone else.

The mind boggles....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

jank wrote:
    I was taking the urine. Thing is Arsenal get critised by not being able to handle the rough stuff but then do get critised more when an Arsenal Player (Lehman) gets rough with someone else.

The mind boggles....
    I concur 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

jank wrote:

The mind boggles....

I also concur, as soon as Arsenal get physical it ends up with red cards and the Arsenal disciplinary problems sh*tstorm gets blown in by the media. However seeing as Lehmann is a goalkeeper I don't see how his aggresive side can benefit him.

jank wrote:

The mind boggles....

Eh, tell me you are taking the p1ss again?

Theres a difference between the likes of Parker hounding players down and getting stuck in, and Lehmann blatantly (and indiscriminately) elbowing Parker and causing him to lose a tooth for no apparent reason whatsoever.

jank wrote:

The mind boggles....
    Eh not quite.

The Arsenal side get criticised for not being able to hold their own in a physical battle on the pitch with the likes of say Bolton, involving aerial bombardments and tough tackles, and rightly so. It's the only thing really holding them back from being a truly great side.

When Lehman intentionally elbows someone in the face he gets criticised, and rightly so.

the Arsenal disciplinary problems sh*tstorm gets blown in by the media.

Link to any recent media stories re: Arsenals discipline problems? Link to any articles about Lehmanns temper?

Link to articles re: Shearer... (all since Saturday)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2005/12/12/sfnnew12.xml&sSheet=/sport/2005/12/12/ixfooty.html
    http://news.google.ie/url?sa=t&ct=us/4-0&fp=439d2f68babf6108&ei=xf6dQ8TPL83caM-m7YwN&url=http%3A//english.people.com.cn/200512/12/eng20051212_227283.html&cid=0
    http://news.google.ie/url?sa=t&ct=us/6-0&fp=439d2f68babf6108&ei=xf6dQ8TPL83caM-m7YwN&url=http%3A//www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/articles/PA_SPOA13529841134291523A%3Fsource%3DPA%2520Feed%26ct%3D5&cid=0
    http://news.google.ie/url?sa=t&ct=us/8-0&fp=439d2f68babf6108&ei=xf6dQ8TPL83caM-m7YwN&url=http%3A//today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx%3Ftype%3DworldFootballNews%26storyID%3DURI%3Aurn%3Anewsml%3Areuters.com%3A20051210%3AMTFH76867_2005-12-10_21-52-12_L10213502%3A1&cid=0
    http://news.google.ie/url?sa=t&ct=us/13-0&fp=439d2f68babf6108&ei=xf6dQ8TPL83caM-m7YwN&url=http%3A//www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx%3FidNews%3D108131%26progr%3D0&cid=0
    http://news.google.ie/url?sa=t&ct=us/17-0&fp=439d2f68babf6108&ei=xf6dQ8TPL83caM-m7YwN&url=http%3A//www.4thegame.com/club/nufc/news/181823/al_defends_physical_approach.html&cid=0
    http://news.google.ie/url?sa=t&ct=us/20-0&fp=439d2f68babf6108&ei=xf6dQ8TPL83caM-m7YwN&url=http%3A//home.skysports.com/list.asp%3Fhlid%3D333559%26CPID%3D8%26clid%3D%26channel%3Dskysports_home_page&cid=0

Hmmm...

Fair enough Lehamn may have steped over the line a small bit but he didnt elbow him at all so lets get that right.

It was more of a shoulder charge and it seems that it isnt serious enough for the FA to look at it. Wonder will they recind Gilbertos red card like Jenas At highbury.

Thing is there is always a fine line between being up for it an being scumbag. When Arsenal overstep that mark they get hammered in the press about it.

Well I think Lehmanns actions were highly questionable (won't call him a scumbag, that would get me a ban). The only reason the FA aren't looking into it is because it is nearly impossible to prove it was intentional. I'm convinced it was, and anyone who watches it should be too.

And it was most certainly was an elbow, check the video I posted above again.

I don't think Gilberto's red-card can be rescinded because it was two yellows, although correct me if I'm wrong. I personally don't see the fuss, I've seen players booked for less (I'm not saying I would want both those tackles to warrant yellow cards, far from it) and the way referees and the laws are these days they were probably both yellow card offences. Sad as it is...

• Advertisement

jank wrote:

The mind boggles....

Arsenal get criticised for their cynical fouls and their ability ( in past seasons, at least ) to collectively lose their heads. Since Arsenal can still probably be considered a big team ;-) they can expect the press to be on their backs in any controversy, and you can expect fans of other clubs to focus on the same issues as there is often a lack of consistency in punishments. Lehman wasn't playing football , rough or otherwise, he simply tried to do as much harm to Parker as he could , any criticism he gets is fully deserved IMO. It also seems that other teams seem to think Arsenal are afraid to get stuck in, as with Blackburn v Chelsea it makes for crap football but can work for the aggressive side, if they get a weak ref and / or can keep 11 men on the field.

Same happens with every club.

MrJoeSoap wrote:

I think you'll find Lehmann's elbow was overshadowed by Alan Shearer's behaviour going unpunished which had a much greater bearing on the out come of the game and apart from that Arsenal have had no disciplinary problems this season whatsoever. Don't try and tell me I'm talking sh*t, there is alot of truth in my statement. The media are fairly unimaginative these days, keep running the same story over and over again. If it's not the Vieira transfer story (which has now turned into the Henry transfer story) it's the disciplinary records story. Hasn't been run in recent times because Arsenal play football as a non contact sport these days.

Arsenal play football as a non contact sport these days.

Try telling that to Scott Parker. Fact of the matter is Shearer is being singled out (take this thread for example) while people like Lehmann are hardly being mentioned at all, despite Lehmann being the one responsible for causing an injury to an opponent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Try telling that to Scott Parker.

No kidding! Scottie was awesome yesterday, he put his body on the line for that win. I was impressed!

And Alan Shearer should definately have been booked way earlier... when he had the high boot with studs out and caught the arsenal players ear, that should have been a booking for sure.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Try telling that to Scott Parker. Fact of the matter is Shearer is being singled out (take this thread for example) while people like Lehmann are hardly being mentioned at all, despite Lehmann being the one responsible for causing an injury to an opponent.

Oh poor Alan Shearer being singled out, like he hasn't been elbowing people for years without getting any sh*t from the press. Maybe the press backlash is the result of the way he plays and the way he rarely gets sent off for it? Maybe the Arsenal game was just that little bit over the top? People are used to him getting away with playing 'physical', I don't see why he gets away with it so often.

Yeah Shearer is now being singled out, so whats the problem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement