Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green on hotpress pipe...

Options
  • 11-12-2005 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Hi again all,

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Just one pipe in the hotpress is covered in green and there appears to be a bit of moisture/dampness around the area... We are only in the house a few months - newly built - and I don't think it should be like this at this stage.... Any thoughts?? Piccies attached - Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's corrosion. Looks like you have a small leak somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

We did have a problem a couple of weeks back where water had leaked from somewhere down the wall and celing - had a puddle in the hall - got the builder in and he sent the plumber over - he said it was a leek from the sink. I was doubtful as 3 other people checked around it and found nothing...Do you think I should get on to the builder again?? Is this potentially a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Theres a leak on the top of that pipe. Get the Plumber back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Ok guys - thanks for the help - will ring the builder first thing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Skye,

I haven't been to Specsavers yet so I can't see the green pipe, I do see water marks on the floor that could be old, maybe a dry cloth wrapped around the pipes over night will tell you if the cloth gets damp.

The joints are a mixture of compression and solder, what can happen is if the plumber didn't give the finished joint a wipe of a clean cloth the flux can cause the area beside the joints to turn green.

The long term effect can be leaks because the flux is meant as a cleaner between the pipe and fitting, if left around the joint over time the flux can eat into the solder especially on cold pipe where there may be minor condensation.

As the house is still under warranty call the plumber back as suggested above, a damp cloth would hard to argue with though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement