Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playing ps2 etc on monitor [where?]

Options
  • 11-12-2005 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

I think i seen something that allowed gamers to play their consoles, ps2/xbox/gc on a normal CRT monitor, im short for space in my room and would love for my consoles to work on my pc monitor, does anyone have any experience with this ?
    i think liksang have these adaptors.
    heres on that looks good, it also has a splitter so you dont to unplug your pc all the time, for 50 euros or so .
    http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=219&products_id=3235&

xga-box3.jpg
    1024 x 768, im not sure what normal tvs are ?

stuck b.w above and
    http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=219&products_id=4233&

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I have that adaptor, it's not bad, but it's not capable of displaying a 60Hz PAL signal properly for some reason (colours are very washed-out). Also, it's got inbuilt image processing which you can't seem to switch off completely, which sometimes seems like it blurs the image a little (probably automatic antialiasing). Occasionally it'll jaggify the image a bit (noticeable on text) if you switch the console on when the adaptor is set to console input, but flick it back to PC, then back to console and it fixes it.

As it takes S-VHS and composite in, you can use it with any console (although if you put audio through it, the left and right signals seem to be swapped :confused: ).

Of the selection that was available at the time that I bought it, going on the reviews on L-S, this seemed to be the best. The only real issue I have with it is the 60Hz crappiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

hmm seems reasonable if not best, i take it it supports both NTSC and PAL ?
    thanks for the input. Are alot of games 60 Hz?
    il order it now

just did more background checked and Magic VGA box seems to support 60hz,
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-70-4s4.html

AFAIK though any game that uses 60hz, has a video mode selector at the start ? what games were you experiencing troubles with?

thanks

also, this "new" yoke connects thrugh your pc's usb2 !!! ? says no lag, seen it on kotaku

http://www.adaptecstore.com/?category=1067&subcategory=1120&productid=2179900

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

The DC had VGA output with a simple VGA cable, most American/Japanese Gamecube games will output VGA with a modified component cable (~$40) but the PS2 and XBox are more hit-and-miss, I think. They'll probably work, but the image quality is not suited to a PC monitor unless it's a progressive scan compatible game, and how many PAL games are? Very few, I think.

• Advertisement

best of investing in small tft then ? are these that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have the model you originally posted and tbh have no real complaints with it. Picture quality is very acceptable imho. For the price I feel it was value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

A tft television that doubles as a good PC monitor might be the answer. It will have SCART TV inputs and a PC input. The problem with those is that they tend to be less capable as a PC monitor (I think). Oh, and a component video input with 60Hz progressive scan compatibility would help, because it's all going High-Definition from now on, starting with Xbox360.

To be honest, you might be as well off getting the best one of those adaptors you can find and to hell with the picture quality. Things are changing too fast now to buy an expensive TV/monitor that won't give you the best image quality with future consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Deoxys

All gamecube games are displayed in 60Hz now and playstatin has a fair few games that are best in 60Hz.And over all its better to just play your consoles on a tv.Pc monitors are easily damaged especialy the lcd ones.leaving still images on them kinda leaves a faded image of what ever you left paused or if you left your pc on the desk top for hours.I suppse it would be handy to save room but id stick with the tv and for the whole sound issue i hook the Audio pins that go into the scart connections into th aux on my stereo so i wouldnt change it

Advertisement