Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Am Legend

• 11-12-2005 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

So, we've a new adaptation of I Am Legend in the works, eh?

Director of Constantine, and some music videoes, Francis Lawrence is set to helm, Mark Protosevich who wrote "The Cell" is penning the script, with (If you can believe it) Will Smith supposedly in the leading role. I say supposedly, as I don't think it's been confirmed yet, but whether or not Smith is a better choice than The Rock, who was previously the touted man for the job, I just don't know. Why Hollywood, why?

I just bought the book, and I'm going to start digging in to it soon, probably when I'm finished reading the current Lovecraft book I'm on at the moment, so I thought I'd look up and see if the proposed new filmic version had come along anyway much. So no spoilers here for my sake, ok? Thanks guys.

Anyway, why? I can see where Protosevich comes to mind with the script, but the other vapid twonks? Personally I'd rather see someone like David Fincher direct, but that's just me, I must be odd. But jesus, why in god's name are actors like The Rock or Will Smith being put forward. Give me Michael Ironside. Again, maybe I'm just odd.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

So, we've a new adaptation of I Am Legend in the works, eh?

Director of Constantine, and some music videoes, Francis Lawrence is set to helm, Mark Protosevich who wrote "The Cell" is penning the script, with (If you can believe it) Will Smith supposedly in the leading role. I say supposedly, as I don't think it's been confirmed yet, but whether or not Smith is a better choice than The Rock, who was previously the touted man for the job, I just don't know. Why Hollywood, why?

I just bought the book, and I'm going to start digging in to it soon, probably when I'm finished reading the current Lovecraft book I'm on at the moment, so I thought I'd look up and see if the proposed new filmic version had come along anyway much. So no spoilers here for my sake, ok? Thanks guys.

Anyway, why? I can see where Protosevich comes to mind with the script, but the other vapid twonks? Personally I'd rather see someone like David Fincher direct, but that's just me, I must be odd. But jesus, why in god's name are actors like The Rock or Will Smith being put forward. Give me Michael Ironside. Again, maybe I'm just odd.

Thoughts?

Its my favourite book, absolutely brilliant. The whole time I was reading it I was thinking "this would make an amazing movie". I needs to be dark & gritty, David Fincher would be perfect. If, Will Smith stars, It will be terrible. He does not, in anyway suit the character or the style of the book. Terrible news :(

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

I can see this being another Omega Man. :eek:

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Classic, but I've been reading about this in development hell for years to be honest....is it definately going ahead?
    Director of Constantine, and some music videoes, Francis Lawrence is set to helm
    Would not be opposed to this, really enjoyed Constantine, had the kind of mood and atmosphere you'd need to get the right feel for I Am Legend.
    Will Smith supposedly in the leading role. I say supposedly, as I don't think it's been confirmed yet, but whether or not Smith is a better choice than The Rock, who was previously the touted man for the job, I just don't know. Why Hollywood, why?
    I shouldn't even quote this, as I can feel my blood pressure rise as I read it. It simply cannot be true! You know actors like The Rock and Will Smith would have to have their customary smart-alec lines like "Eat this, scumbag" or something along those lines to satisfy their egos, something which would compeletely devalue the film for me.

Interesting one though, could be a great if executed properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Oh dear GODS no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

So, we've a new adaptation of I Am Legend

Director of Constantine, and some music videoes, Francis Lawrence is set to helm, Mark Protosevich who wrote "The Cell" is penning the script,

Thoughts?

Ive honestly never heard of this one. So my only thoughts is I love the way they say so and so is penning the script, they uasually type it out on their laptops these days.
    Last script to be pened was a black and white movie ;p

Constinine was a good movie so FL has a done some thing good at least so i`ll look forward to his second outing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Give me Michael Ironside. QUOTE]

He would actually be perfect for it now that you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

Brilliant book first horror book I've read and was very impressed in the mirky gloom that was his life in the midst of it all. Looking forward to a film but Smith or the Rock would just kill the atmosphere of the film Robert was not an action hero just a guy in a s**ty situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm about half way through the book now. Wow is all I can say. Quite excellent altogether, and I'm getting through it at a faster pace than I any book I've read in a long time.

I definetly think Michael Ironside would be excellent as Neville, but I'm not so sure, he's in his 50's now, so might be too old.

There's been a lot of suggestions thrown around though, such as Kiefer Sutherland, Sam Niell, Christian Bale, Jake Weber, Clive Owen and Ron Perlman, among others. I'm not sure though, my casting would be Ironside if I ever got in that director's chair, even if he is getting on a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm about half way through the book now. Wow is all I can say. Quite excellent altogether, and I'm getting through it at a faster pace than I any book I've read in a long time.

I definetly think Michael Ironside would be excellent as Neville, but I'm not so sure, he's in his 50's now, so might be too old.

There's been a lot of suggestions thrown around though, such as Kiefer Sutherland, Sam Niell, Christian Bale, Jake Weber, Clive Owen and Ron Perlman, among others. I'm not sure though, my casting would be Ironside if I ever got in that director's chair, even if he is getting on a bit.

I think Kiefer, Sam, Bale & perlman would be decent...not perfect but decent. They would all be a hell of alot better than Will Smith anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Bale may be too young, you have to consider the skills of the charchter
    Sam neil too old as well, Kiefer Sutherland could be just right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Thaedydal wrote:
    Kiefer Sutherland could be just right.

agree completly,also instead of being a vampire as in Lost Boys he could be killing vampire's instead.Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kasm

Thomas Jane grows a decent beard and was excellent in "Stander"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I shouldn't even quote this, as I can feel my blood pressure rise as I read it. It simply cannot be true! You know actors like The Rock and Will Smith would have to have their customary smart-alec lines like "Eat this, scumbag" or something along those lines to satisfy their egos, something which would compeletely devalue the film for me.

I reckon people are being unfair about The Rock and Will Smith, the Rock hasn't had much of a chance to actually "act" in too many of his movies, and anybody who bothered watching Be Cool will know that he was the best thing in it, and played completly against type (even if it was a comedy role). As for Will Smith, sure most of his projects are the big box office smart arse cop/alien buster type, but he has proven that he is a more than capable actor in such films as Ali or Six Degrees of Seperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

I agree that their good actors in there own right but they won't bring that certain quality of character to the film. If they act for the film then it will become all a massive box office thing and you always lose something from the film in the process. I'd say some unknown actor would do really well some guy that fit the character well.

Advertisement