Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help - 1st Time Buyer

Options
  • 11-12-2005 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

I'm looking to build (or buy) my own house with my girlfriend in about a year's time. We're both 23 and I've only been working in a stable job for about 6 months so far. I've heard that you need to be working 3 years before you can qualify for a mortgage, do you know any places that would lend after 1 and a half years? How hard would it be for us to get a 100% mortgage? I'm thinking I'd need 300-350k. Please help, any advice would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Talk to the banks and building societies,on some of their webpages there are calculators that will give you an idea of what they will give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

denhamd2 wrote:
    I'm looking to build (or buy) my own house with my girlfriend in about a year's time. We're both 23 and I've only been working in a stable job for about 6 months so far. I've heard that you need to be working 3 years before you can qualify for a mortgage, do you know any places that would lend after 1 and a half years? How hard would it be for us to get a 100% mortgage? I'm thinking I'd need 300-350k. Please help, any advice would be great.

Myself & partner went through the same deal as yourself this year. We're now sale agreed on a ncie 3 bed semi.

Getting 100% finance has a lot of conditions and you might not qualiofy due to the fact you have not been in full time work for 3 years straight. But you should get a standard mortgage with a letter from your employer stating that you are in full time permanet positions. Best advice os go to a martgage broker and get the full speil from someone who knows about it.

Also you'll need a lot of money up front. The deposit when you sign contracts is 10% of the house value. Also factor in stamp duty. So say you get a place for 330000 that 10% for deposit and 3% for stamp. Thats excluding solicitors fees/valuations & survey etc etc. So you can look forward to a year of saving a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

denhamd2 wrote:

if you tell us how much you both earn and how much you have saved we can give you a better idea...

Advertisement