Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PTT on 02 (Nokia 6101)

• 11-12-2005 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

hello all..

my girlfriend has got me a 6101 for xmas..

i was with o2 untill last year, when i got a vodafone phone as a present so i
    changed my number to them, but today i have changed back to o2 for this
    present what i need to know is.. when i put my new sim into my new phone on xmas day, will everything just work as normal, or do i need to subscribe/ enable any of the features as in PTT or MMS any of that stuff??

just want a heads up kinda so i can get any of the enabling out of the way now...

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

PTT won't work over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

o2 have it listed as a feature on their site....

https://shop.o2.ie/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1511&cPath=25

thay have it called Xpress audio messaging system ??

It's a feature but i'm 99% sure it's not supported.

Pythia wrote:
    It's a feature but i'm 99% sure it's not supported.

surely its false advertisement if they have it listed as a feature in order to sell the phone.... but they dont supported it...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

On a side note, does anyone know if it's possible to disable the button the right-hand side of the 6101 that controls the PTT feature?

• Advertisement

surely its false advertisement if they have it listed as a feature in order to sell the phone.... but they dont supported it...?

I emailed them before about their advertising on their site. When the 6101 first came out you could obviously order it on the site. But when you clicked into the order page it listed some 'best selling accessories' you could also buy with the phone. It had a bluetooth headset listed even though Bluetooth isn't a feature.
    O2 basically wrote back to my email saying Bluetooth wasn't listed as a feature and it was up to people to notice that.
    Anyway, email them and see what they say?

Oh, as regards moving back to o2, you did buy an upgrade pack not a new customer pack didn't you?

Pythia wrote:
    Oh, as regards moving back to o2, you did buy an upgrade pack not a new customer pack didn't you?

yea i just went in and they resumed my old account.. then just got an upgrade pack

can anyone else tell when or if PTT will be available in Ireland? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telecomsman

I know that one or two of the operators were looking at implementing a PTT solution based really on the success of the product in the US...in particular with Nextel. But there are significant differences between the user profile in the US and here in Europe, mainly based around the fact that we text a lot and they talk a lot....the "walkie talkie" effect that PTT aspires to give appealed greatly to that market but probably wouldnt go down as well this side of the Atlantic. So Id be very surprised if any of the operators do intend on implementing this feature....but you never know.

I know that one or two of the operators were looking at implementing a PTT solution based really on the success of the product in the US...in particular with Nextel. But there are significant differences between the user profile in the US and here in Europe, mainly based around the fact that we text a lot and they talk a lot....the "walkie talkie" effect that PTT aspires to give appealed greatly to that market but probably wouldnt go down as well this side of the Atlantic. So Id be very surprised if any of the operators do intend on implementing this feature....but you never know.

yea thats the impression i got today while on to customer support.. :( ah well
    i have a mate living in the US and he said when they brought out PTT over there nobody used it, but slowly it caught on and now everyone uses it over there.. maybe if we were actually given the option to try it we might start using it more too.. but it looks like they have made the decission for us... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

There is no PTT in europe yet as they would loose to much revenue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

woody wrote:
    There is no PTT in europe yet as they would loose to much revenue

surely it's simply a matter of configuring a server to handle ptt...it uses GPRS right?

Take for example syncml and im(wireless village) aren't available in ireland yet you can use mobical.net and yamigo.com

True, you're paying for the GPRS traffic but sign up for O2's Blackberry tariff and you have free wap browsing. These services can work through the wap proxy - just like a proxy on a pc I suppose.

Admittedly, O2 could block the syncml and im ports on their proxy if they were bollockses..

Darragh

Just found a server:

http://www.sonimtech.com/products/servers.html

http://www.poc.fi/

Loads of marketing bollocks, TLA (THree Letter Acronyms) and UFLA (Unnecessary Four Letter Acronyms) but the fundamentals are there. Give it 18 months, less even, and some *NIX chappie will have a server knocked out.

God, aren't open standards the dearth of poorly managed closed solutions

Advertisement