Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sniper & the claymore

Options
  • 11-12-2005 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

When playing as a sniper I would normally place a claymore mine at the top of the ladder when up high on a building / crane. Its great at catching out the opposition who try to get up at you after a few kills.

What annoys me is when a team mate comes up the ladder and fails to spot the red skull. When they die they more often than not punish for a teamkill. It really makes my blood boil when this happens. Any sniper worth his salt will often do this and team players should open their eyes. If they die they should be mature enough to admit that it was their own stupidity that killed them.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You dont see them when your a sniper going up a ladder your looking down and around to see if anyone can see you, then BOOM!!!!

Read the Tking thread to see why people punish or dont.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Macker1

KdjaC wrote:
    You dont see them when your a sniper going up a ladder your looking down and around to see if anyone can see you, then BOOM!!!!

Read the Tking thread to see why people punish or dont.

kdjac

I always check ladders going up to see if a mine has been planted, its common sense to do so. When your team mates fail to do so and then punish you for their stupidity, its a pain in the arse:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Macker1 wrote:
    I always check ladders going up to see if a mine has been planted, its common sense to do so. When your team mates fail to do so and then punish you for their stupidity, its a pain in the arse:confused:

Yes you do but most people are thinking of someone they saw somewhere and where they are going is the best place to get them and never think about" ohh whats thats red X". It is peoples stupidity and Dice actually tried to fix it but people still punish for their own stupidity.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

In my first few days of playing I wouldn't have known, even seeing the big red X... Now I would rarely get killed from an enemies claymore at the top of ladders. It's funny when you see someone getting killed from it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Im not a sniping camper, so this doesnt apply to me.

• Advertisement

Ah not another anti sniper. So what, it's apart of the game and if you're any good you will know how to avoid them. Sniping can be quite fun and it is alot harder than some think. the sniper weapons are toned down alot so it makes it more balanced for all... Also, not all snipers are campers. One doesn't always go hand in hand with the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Also, not all snipers are campers. One doesn't always go hand in hand with the other.

If you're a good sniper, you will not camp anyway. This applies to large maps with wide expanses, note, I tend to use Clays mostly/only on urban maps/environments, where the fighting is close-hand (and enemies creeping up more likely). Shoot' n' scoot is the word: 5 shots max and then, spotted or not, relocate. Best is to work out a track/pattern per map, 4 or 5 locations reasonably close-by. Works best for real-life snipers, so it should in this game - and so far as I can tell (short of being spotted by a helo crew :(), it does quite well :D

Ah not another anti sniper. So what, it's apart of the game and if you're any good you will know how to avoid them. Sniping can be quite fun and it is alot harder than some think. the sniper weapons are toned down alot so it makes it more balanced for all... Also, not all snipers are campers. One doesn't always go hand in hand with the other.

Here Here,

I always move on after a few kills and re-locate to another position. It is part of the game and I find it to be very enjoyable especially when you take out a number of targets in quick procession. If you are doing your job correctly they won't have a clue where the shots are coming from.

Its great fun watching the players scurry about on a distant rooftop while you line up the killshot.

Snipering is an art best practised alone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Im not an anti-camper per se. But IMO its boring.
    Its also an innefficient waste of a player on the team.
    If you were playing *for* the team, as opposed to for yourself, you would probably be more use sitting in a fixed MG or AT or AA gun for the entire game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Macker1 wrote:
    Here Here,

I always move on after a few kills and re-locate to another position. It is part of the game and I find it to be very enjoyable especially when you take out a number of targets in quick procession. If you are doing your job correctly they won't have a clue where the shots are coming from.

Its great fun watching the players scurry about on a distant rooftop while you line up the killshot.

Snipering is an art best practised alone.....

To the last comment....are you nuts!!! sniping is always done as a team usually of two people one with an assault weapon the other with the rifle.

Even in games like America's Army (which has a much better sniping system) if your squad leader stays near you, your skill improves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

snipers are a very useful part of an attack. theres nothing i like to do more than headshot a defense teams medic before our main attack goes in :D

the thing i hate about claymores is when a team mate is standing behind you, watches you plop a claymore down at a vital corner, then take a WIIIDE berth to go around it. stands there looking at you across the gap, then plod plod plod booooooom *punish*

In BF2 he means it's best done alone, unless of course that person you are playing with is actually playing next to you, so you can communicate better...

Normally you have some goon shooting away when you are trying to take a shot. It's good to have an assault beside you, but only if he is quiet. ;)

In BF2 he means it's best done alone, unless of course that person you are playing with is actually playing next to you, so you can communicate better...

Normally you have some goon shooting away when you are trying to take a shot. It's good to have an assault beside you, but only if he is quiet. ;)

Exactly what I mean. If you are careful a good sniper will always prefer to be alone. A lot easier to conceal your location.

Looking forward to sniping a few heads later.....:)

Macker1 wrote:
    Exactly what I mean. If you are careful a good sniper will always prefer to be alone. A lot easier to conceal your location.

Looking forward to sniping a few heads later.....:)

Agreed in the game its better to snipe alone, I really wish with the next patch they'd implament sway in the reticle of the scope when aiming and shoot where you aim rather than the random accuracy thing, I love being the sniper but find it frustrating in this game as opposed to other games i've played.

Therefor sway loads standing up
    Sway less when kneeling
    Very little sway when prone and using the bi-pod

Number one xmas wish list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

"random accuracy thing" ????

What rifle are you using?

I dont get that with the 50 Cal.:)(when prone)

I dont mind being sniper in a squad as i can take
    out choppers, jeep gunners and medics which is
    helpful.

In terms of "camping snipers", I prefer if they camp
    as i know most of their possible locations and I get
    satisfaction in killing them after they spent 5 minutes
    running to that location in the first place.

I agree with Fuzzy in that Campers *can* be a waste
    if they camp at flags that change every few minutes.

But for flags that only get capped by the wandering lone
    wolf or small squad, the camping/defending sniper
    can be invaluable.

I only use claymores in deep enemy territory or
    in the path of their attack.
    ie if you look around a corner and see 3 guys
    coming towards you, just drop a Claymore
    and run like hell.

I never put a claymore on a ladder because I am not
    greedy and let other snipers join me if they so choose.
    Good snipers would not need that as they would be
    moving after every couple of shots when on a building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

so thats what killed me the last time i went up a ladder....i though it was a well place grenade round like i love doing.
    snipers suck. and i suck at being a sniper.
    tbh i'd love if snipers could be turned off.

When playing just constantly act as if you are within
    the sights of a sniper.

Never travel in a straight line.

Never stay still.

Constantly duck when being a gunner.

Basically if your experienced in Quake 3 on the Longest Yard
    with a camper with a rail gun constantly shooting at you,
    it becomes quite easy to avoid sniper fire.:cool:

Also looking at your stats you have only killed like 2
    people with the sniper. After you have killed 200+
    people and have a bit of experience then you wont hate
    them as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yeah, kinda prefer taking out tanks and apc alright. will give it a try after i've had my fun trying out the support class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

about half of my kills are with the sinper rifle and as the lads say u gotta keep moving after every few shots as with camping u can b left sitting there formost of the battle with no one to shoot..and its fun rushing with a pistol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Very rarely get the one shot kills, i get a bag loads of damage kill assist point tho. The thing that annoys me about claymoreing ladders is it blocks your teammates, that can be annoying at times, especially in sharqui peninsula where theres 1 or 2 flags with nice ledges above them.

• Advertisement

as I'm at work and not playing on my comp is there a way for me to view my stats (which are terrible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

http://bf2s.com/player/(NRG)Big_Nelly/

Thats my stats. Can use that website

Big Nelly wrote:
    http://bf2s.com/player/(NRG)Big_Nelly/

Thats my stats. Can use that website

Cant use that service if my score is below 100 :o

Going to try and rectify that tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Vegeta wrote:
    Cant use that service if my score is below 100 :o

Going to try and rectify that tonight

Need to rack up your points man:D

http://bf2s.com/player/gilenrai/

Ta da... Looks like i'm not that bad in the chopper after all... :P

After all the people "talking" about your teamkilling,
    I have tk'd much more.:)

http://bf2s.com/compare.php?pid1=gilenrai&pid2=%28NRG%29_Shiny_%5BIrish%5D

damn accidents.

See it's not all bad. I get quite alot of accidents too. Like blowing up a chopper and it happens to land of someone, somehow it happens to be my fault...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Agent47

ambro25 wrote:
    Best is to work out a track/pattern per map, 4 or 5 locations reasonably close-by.
    Thats what i do, then wen ppl hav caught onto ur old position u can often snipe them as they try to sneakily get behind u!

http://bf2s.com/player/60674757/

don't be upset guys i consider myself a pro, someday you'll be as good as me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 =ABE=

i play as sniper most of the time

tbh its not 2 hard 2 press F10 for a 3rd person view while goin up ladders tbh
    just my 2cent :D

Advertisement