Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kauri Timber

Options
  • 11-12-2005 9:57pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any idea what this is, as in, does it look good and will it wear well?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Kauri is a native timber from the south pacific, it is a very durable and atractive timber, what are you using it for?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The door that I look like I am getting from http://www.dublindoorstore.ie/cornwall_kauri.html

Is made of it, any opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Kauri is a fairly light wood similar to beech in colour, I have found it very durable used to have a table made of it.
    Should be good for a door as long as it is well sealed.
    I am not sure about its use in external situations only ever seen it in interiors

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ok. thanks for that,

I would want to find out more so

One more thing, Would it marry with Mahogany door frame??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

yop wrote:
    Anyone any idea what this is, as in, does it look good and will it wear well?

Thanks

Hi Yop,

I would do some further investigation on the Kauri, before a decision is made , if I was you.

It is after all, only a softwood, and is only moderately durable in exterior use.
    It needs to be treated to last . And this treatment is not just varnish or the like. It is meant to be treated with a preservative.

Try this link for more info.

http://www.nicks.net.nz/timber_reveals.shtml#fijian_kauri

I personally have never used kauri. But based on the info I have come across, it needs preservative treatment.

kadman:)

Cheers

SOOOO, would it marry with Mahongany door frame I have, u see they have immediate delivery on it, or do u think or would I be as well to scrap the idea and go and buy a mahogany door?

thanks lad

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

It depends on your point of view. Whats wrong with a mahogany/mahogany marriage:D

Its your shout Yop, bring a piece of mahogany to dublin door store and look at the 2 together.

http://www.sges.auckland.ac.nz/sges_research/treeringlab/aboutkauri.htm

kadman:)

Umm I know what u are saying, bit of trip to May Hoe to Dooblin to check out whether or not Mahogany and Kuauri marry!!!

Have to wait a min of 4 weeks for a mahogany door lad, slows up the move into the house by another 3 weeks or more after that!!!

This foookin door

Advertisement