Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP - PS2, I'm lost

Options
  • 11-12-2005 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

I don't know which to get

1. I don't know if PSP's graphics come close to PS2?
    2. PSP doesn't have only games I play, GT4, Tekken, VF, and well it has Twisted Metal

on the other hand

1. PS2, has those games
    2. costs about the same(I want to play imports)
    3. but PS3 is coming out soon, so would it be a waste of money?

Someone command me!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I'd hold out for the Ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Sweet wrote:
    I'd hold out for the Ps3

well it's a good idea but, PS3 will come out in like 2007(I know it's aimed at 2006 spring, but delays happen, always!) + about 6 more month if not more waiting for it's price to drop a little + I play only imports so I'll have to wait for a decent mod chip to come out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ps2 2nd hand yould cost you little more than 120 witha couple of games. Back catfo thousands of games and all for little or nothing. Bit of a no brainer really ......assuming you have a gamecube of course :D

kdjac

erm ... no ps2 will cost me 250, I only play NTSC games, damned PAL :(

If it was only 120, I'd run out and buy it now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

it wont be that late. christmas next year at the very latest.

when the ps3 comes out you'll have the entire ps2 back catalogue (give or take a few dodgy titles) to sift through, and the new games.

you'll be kept busy until mod chips come too with MGS4, Killzone2, VisionGT and so on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

PSP because it's so unneccesary, that's my reason for getting one! :D

Oh plus Homebrew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

xbox €100 (a fcuking steal) gamecube €60 (omg, zelda, resi4, monkey ball, f-zero) slim line ps2 €160. it would be crazy not to pick up a GC for €60, and the xbox down to €100 is sweet! but maybe you should just go for the psp, cause the ps3 will prolly be out late next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Check if the games you like on PS2 run at 60Hz PAL and if so, get a PAL PS2. Also, does the slim PS2 not have an import boot disc now, since it's an open-top machine, like the PS1 or Dreamcast?

Check if the games you like on PS2 run at 60Hz PAL and if so, get a PAL PS2. Also, does the slim PS2 not have an import boot disc now, since it's an open-top machine, like the PS1 or Dreamcast?

ALL versions of ps2 ever made have these boot discs you speak off, aka: swap magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

just buy a second hand ps2 and get it em, made capable of playing import discs through some method im not going to talk about that probabley wont cost more than 50 to get done. Should be able to pick a ps2 up for about 100 have a look on the sales boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm not sure why you have to have import games? There's a very very small list of games out in the US that aren't available here, and if you've never owned a PS2 before there's more than enough games out here to keep you busy for a very very long time.

I would say that the PSP is more future proof though, and as developers get to know it better I'd expect higher and higher quality games to come out, and the games are already very close to PS2 quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

TBH I wouldn't fork out money for a PS2 when it has a limited shelf life left, irrespective of its existing software catalogue. If you have to have one of them, get the PSP as it's practically only just been released and will be around for at least four to five years before it gets replaced, that reason and the fact it's portable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I'd get the PS2 no question. Its cheap, there's a huge back catalogue, and its much better value than a PSP IMHO.

Plus there's loads of cheap 2ndhand games in GAME and such.

PSP is not worth the asking price at the moment... its a nice machine but the games arent there for it yet. Wait for the psp catalogue to pick up, and by the time theres enough good games for it it will be cheaper :)

But for now, best value for me out of those 2 would be the ps2.

Naturally we could discuss other options too... GC at E60!! Wow thats really quite a steal. DS is great value as a portable too, but you'd have to be prepared to import games for it, since nintendo europe are a bit... well.... lets be kind and say they're a bit slow to release games in good time (or they hate europe... wth is wrong with NOE anyway? anyone??).

glimmerman wrote:
    nintendo europe are a bit... well.... lets be kind and say they're a bit slow to release games in good time (or they hate europe... wth is wrong with NOE anyway? anyone??).

Localisation. Every game that gets released in Europe has to be translated into French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese etc. and each countries corresponding market has to be liased with and marketed in, that's why it's so slow. A game getting released in Japan only needs to be translated into English for the US/Canada markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

Laguna wrote:
    Localisation. Every game that gets released in Europe has to be translated into French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese etc. and each countries corresponding market has to be liased with and marketed in, that's why it's so slow. A game getting released in Japan only needs to be translated into English for the US/Canada markets.

I know... but whats to stop them from localising to multiple languages at the same time? And marketing at the same time? Otherwise whats the point of having NOE? Surely they can do that while NOA is liasing/localising and marketing in the US?

it just seems like lame neglect of europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

get a ps2, i have both, my psp is catching dust, as is my ps2 but i got more time out of it.

hey guys, sorry for the late reply,

I've decided that I'll simply wait for PS3 or a PS2 emulator(PCSX2)

And I'll see how Tekken, VF and Gran Turismo 4 turn out for PSP.

Thanks for all your suggestions and advices :)

glimmerman wrote:
    it just seems like lame neglect of europe.

It seems like it because that's the way it is.

We Europeans are third rate citizens in the global market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You will be waiting a long time for a PS2 emulator. I'd say it will be 5 years at least until we see an emulator that can play any PS2 game at a playable speed with little flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

CyberGhost wrote:
    hey guys, sorry for the late reply,

I've decided that I'll simply wait for PS3 or a PS2 emulator(PCSX2)

And I'll see how Tekken, VF and Gran Turismo 4 turn out for PSP.

Thanks for all your suggestions and advices :)

only ps2 emulator pcsx2 has hit rock bottom as lead developer quit, there most recent release reaches in game for some games and plays some 2d games at very bad fps. With gaming so cheap i dont think people want to spend their lives emulating.

AS FOR PS3, spring 2005 is far fetched and no one releases a console in the summer, so 2006 X MAS = ps3 [imho]

id buy a ps2 and get it chipped. 2nd hand one even, 120ish chipd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭the-lad

It launched October 26, 2000 and your so hardcore you only play NTSC but your only getting it now :confused::confused::confused:
    CyberGhost wrote:
    erm ... no ps2 will cost me 250, I only play NTSC games, damned PAL :(

If it was only 120, I'd run out and buy it now ;)

Placebo wrote:
    only ps2 emulator pcsx2 has hit rock bottom as lead developer quit, there most recent release reaches in game for some games and plays some 2d games at very bad fps. With gaming so cheap i dont think people want to spend their lives emulating.

AS FOR PS3, spring 2005 is far fetched and no one releases a console in the summer, so 2006 X MAS = ps3 [imho]

id buy a ps2 and get it chipped. 2nd hand one even, 120ish chipd

Yea I read about that :(

Are there any news about epsxe2?

I never liked PCSX tbh, epsxe is much better.

the-lad wrote:
    It launched October 26, 2000 and your so hardcore you only play NTSC but your only getting it now :confused::confused::confused:

I'm not hardcore, I hate playing tekken and racing in slow motion at 50hz :rolleyes:

I play PSX games on the emulator at 70fps, and NTSC's 60 is kinda slow, but PAL is unbearable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

slim line ps2 €160.

The PS2's RRP (or what ever they call RRP now) is 150 euro last I was told, so I dont think is has gone up.

Smiths have "Playstation 2 Console + Vouchers + Extra Control Pad + Any 1 New Release" for 199 euro, or "Playstation 2 Console + Vouchers + Extra Control Pad + 3 Selected Games" for 219.99 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

CyberGhost wrote:

I'm not hardcore, I hate playing tekken and racing in slow motion at 50hz :rolleyes:

I play PSX games on the emulator at 70fps, and NTSC's 60 is kinda slow, but PAL is unbearable.

I don't know how your eyes can tell the difference but for what it's worth the majority of PAL games do PAL-60, and most modern PAL tvs happily run in 60hz

Of course most games run at less than 60 fps anyway, there's a difference between fps and refresh rate.

If you find 50hz PAL unbearable you should probably be avoiding the PSP anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I have two import ps2s:)
    I import really everything, dvds, games consoles, i dont know why, its just become habit i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Slurms wrote:
    PSP because it's so unneccesary, that's my reason for getting one! :D

Oh plus Homebrew!!

Mine too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Squall wrote:
    Mine too :)
    Hooray! A compatriot!

monument wrote:
    The PS2's RRP (or what ever they call RRP now) is 150 euro last I was told, so I dont think is has gone up.

Smiths have "Playstation 2 Console + Vouchers + Extra Control Pad + Any 1 New Release" for 199 euro, or "Playstation 2 Console + Vouchers + Extra Control Pad + 3 Selected Games" for 219.99 euro.

in HMV its €160 for console only

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

If you like foreign games (yes I read that you've already decided to wait, this is just another useless comment) don't forget the PSP is universal.

I too am waiting for GT4 VF/Tekken on PSP - but there are many fantastic games out at the moment which you could be playing now (as well as homebrew which gets locked up more the longer you leave your purchase) and finally I dont think the PSP price is going down anytime soon AT ALL.

Either way though - PS2, PS3, PSP - theyre all great! I bought myself an original xbox the other day - it's great too! What a great time for gaming :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Apparently the GPX2 is better than the PSP for homebrew and emulators, and it's designed for that kind of thing, whereas Sony discourage it on the PSP.

I think the best option for you is a modified PAL PS2 - Modified by somebody else, so they're liable if it breaks in the process. The modified machine should play foreign games at 60Hz. I wish they'd make their consoles region free though.

PS2 is still too expensive, though, in my opinion. If it gets reduced to €100 I'll call it value-for-money. Sony consoles are expensive even at the end of their lifetime.

Advertisement