Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port and protocol blocking - ClearWire??

• 12-12-2005 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Just wondering about the possibility of this. At the moment, I cannot access any ftp server whatsoever which runs on non-standard ports. For instance, I can access all ftp servers running on port 21 fine without any problems, but should I try to access a server running on port say 214, 478, 2193 etc. I cannot get a directory listing at all.
    This problem only occured for me after last Wednesday night, when ClearWire seem to have changed some things on their network. I was convinced this was something first on my local machine, such as a dodgy firewall, or some corrupt dll's, but I've since tried multiple different configurations on my machine, and even tried on a different machine, and still get the exact same thing.
    The question I'm asking is how can an ISP do this exactly? How could they allow a certain protocol like ftp, but restrict it solely to a specific port. Also, is this legal on their part, given that they mentioned nothing about this in theri terms and conditions?? I'm getting pretty annnoyed with them. Is this just another nanny measure on their network, or how else can it be explained???

Thanks,
    Sisyphus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Seems like Clearwire are really only offering web access, not internet access. At this stage the question should be what don't they block...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

EVE Online is playable, but you cannot use Team Speak. Which is a big hinderance.

Basically it is a complete shambles, I can get access to the Web fine I dont pay Clearwire for that.

I pay for one thing, gaming and to a much lesser extent p2p (which I dont mind if they restrict).

So when I talked to them today they were saying everything back to normal by the end of this coming week. To which I replied, and to quote me "You are ****ing kidding me?"

Really fed up now, mentioned compensation and it better be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

So when I talked to them today they were saying everything back to normal by the end of this coming week. To which I replied, and to quote me "You are ****ing kidding me?"
    Oh, swell response. My apologies sir, we screwed up, but we should be able to switch things back the way they were in another week or so!! What a bunch of crap!! Totally unacceptable to screw people's connections for an entire week without any prior warning or reason. Will be calling them myself tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

I cant download all the drivers from my laptop for Dells website which uses ftp.

I'm not waiting a week for proper internet access. I can get access with another company by midweek.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

sounds like 21, 80 and 443 are open. can you access mail servers such as IMAP or POP3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Red Alert wrote:
    sounds like 21, 80 and 443 are open. can you access mail servers such as IMAP or POP3?

I use Thunderbird on Windows to pop and send email via GMail. This has worked for ages since I set it up. On Thursday I noticed that I could no longer send mail this way but I could still receive it.
    I rang ClearWire about it and they told me to use their mail server on port 25 to send my mails. They have blocked the port that GMail uses which is not the default mail port.

There was no warning or information given about this. If you are having trouble with email on Clearwire you may want to give them a ring about it.

I assume normal service has not been restored this morning as promised (at work now so can't check myself). I really feel like letting rip into someone this morning (monday morning blues and all that) and clearWire really deserve a bollicking over this fiasco.

Yahoo Groups chat rooms also no longer work since the latest "port shaping" exercise they have carried out last wednesday. They are looking into this for me and have "escalated" the issue. They have promised to ring me back today again.

The guy I was talking to on Saturday said they are trying to get the UK software company whose Port Shaping software they are using to sort out the issues ASAP.

Sorry in advance for shouting but:

HINT TO CLEARWIRE ENGINEERS: IF IT IS NOT WORKING, DISABLE IT UNTIL YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT!!!!!!

Nah It's all working fine this morning.

No wait that was a dream I had last night. Still completely fooked.

Anyone else notice that there is a bit of a delay loading pictures from some websites? I am getting all text and borders but then pictures are coming through really slowly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

its been like that since 5am...

Rang again, and the whole engineering team is working on it AGAIN.

Hopefully sorted today, according to the rep.

My next phone call goes to the highest person I can and then to the disconnection people.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

service? this is what service clearwire left me with over the weekend.

2.8 kbps downloads last night of media files (mpg/avi/mp3)!
    Constant FTP timeouts and slow directory listing (this has been tested on another connection and is fine)!
    Steam/Gamespy not working (blocked)!
    Teamspeak non existant
    Skype timesout constantly with terrible sound quality and outgoing voice often blocked
    No streaming media (none whatsoever(blocked?))!
    Very slow page load times! +200 MS trips!!!
    Might as well throw it in, P2P applications (blocked)

I would not recommend this shower of jokers to anyone!

btw... lol... but does anyone else have to hang their modem from a bag on their curtain rail in their window to get decent coverage (five bars)?

• Advertisement

Rang again. They are not blocking ports I have now been told...yeah right whatever. They are doing something which is fecking up everything bar basic http.

Issues I opened on Saturday re. email and yahoo chat have now been actually opened as they werent escalated on sayurday like the guy told me thay had.

And guess what...THEY WILL RING ME BACK. ha ha ha..where have I heard that before.

I get three/four bars by just having it near a window upstairs. Three or four or five bars doesnt actually seem to affect performance in any way that I can see.

Constant download speeds over 2Mbps according to IrishIspTest for the weekend but everything you mentioned plus some other apps completely unusable.

Like you..will not recommend them to anyone and have already told two friends not to bother with them.

They are getting a terrible reputation but dont seem to care.

Hanging from a curtain rail is mild compared what I have to do to get a signal. I wont go into it here as they might read these sites.

yeah was recommending them to all my uni friends, but stopped that. Told them the reverse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 boardmember

I have all the same problems as this... MPG/AVI won't download and I can't watch streaming media... That was the main reason I got broadband. I am sick and tired of calling these people and still have got no response to why they can't fix anything. I am going to cancel the subscription and I will not be paying anything to end the contract. They are unable to provide the service they are offering.

service? this is what service clearwire left me with over the weekend.

2.8 kbps downloads last night of media files (mpg/avi/mp3)!
    Constant FTP timeouts and slow directory listing (this has been tested on another connection and is fine)!
    Steam/Gamespy not working (blocked)!
    Teamspeak non existant
    Skype timesout constantly with terrible sound quality and outgoing voice often blocked
    No streaming media (none whatsoever(blocked?))!
    Very slow page load times! +200 MS trips!!!
    Might as well throw it in, P2P applications (blocked)

I would not recommend this shower of jokers to anyone!

btw... lol... but does anyone else have to hang their modem from a bag on their curtain rail in their window to get decent coverage (five bars)?

Advertisement