Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting World Records

Options
  • 12-12-2005 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Have you read the Shooters Digest where someone has claimed to have exceeded the 1000 yrd Bench Rest world record.
    The previous record was shot with the normal Bench Rest rules.
    The main one being 5 shot groups to be measured.
    Well this guy was that good he achieved this with two rounds to spare!:)

3.1 inches with three rounds (who needs 5) not bad not bad at all

Has anyone else out there witnessed or heard of other great shooting achievments, let it be Target Shooting or Game Shooting especially Walter Mitty ones :D:D:D

PS Does anyone know what is the new 1000 yrd Bench Rest group.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I can fire a 0 inch group with one round.
    At any range out to maximum for the cartridge
    Would this be even better?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

i can get a 0 inch group using 0 ammo at an infinite number of yards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭skellig

Rovi , Psittacosis, I like your groups no doubt about it but for God sake please dont give this author who claims to have a new world record any more amusing ideas.
    Its just about bearable to read his articles at the moment.
    I bet he would get a better group with a Punt gun, but knowing him he would pick the best three holes out of the riddled target!!
    Walter Mitty will never be dead while hes around :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

skellig wrote:
    Have you read the Shooters Digest where someone has claimed to have exceeded the 1000 yrd Bench Rest world record.
    The previous record was shot with the normal Bench Rest rules.
    The main one being 5 shot groups to be measured.
    Well this guy was that good he achieved this with two rounds to spare!:)

3.1 inches with three rounds (who needs 5) not bad not bad at all
    Hello skellig,
    you must be a fantastic shot,:rolleyes:
    I guess you would have to be able to shoot a 3 shot group of 3.1 inches at 1000 yards yourself,
    before you are entitiled, to take the piss out of someone else who can,
    and mentions as an aside, that somebody told him it might be a world record....

In my reading of the article, he never attempted to claim it so!

but because it's not a 5 shot group,
    I suppose you feel justified in trying to ridicule the man's shooting ability.....

Dvs.

Hello D.V.S

No I am not a fantastic shot and propably never will be. No big deal in admitting that.:(
    Come on be honest about it : it was a bit much to go along with an author blowing his own trumpet on something he had achieved in the line of a world record
    I have never shot a 3.1 inch grouo at a 1000 yds with just three shots not even five as it should be to warrant a benchrest record of any kind.

By the way you shouldnt put vulgar words to print its not nice.
    Lighten up it was just a bit of fun on something I found amusing.
    Obviously we both see a different side to the story,thats o.k ,no offence intended to anyone.

PS have you asked any politician about their views on firearms ,if so would you let us know their views.
    Now that should be interesting providing you got any answers of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If I'm reading it right, he does state that he may have "equalled or exceeded" the world record but it "is not a line of enquiry I intend to pursue". Well, fair enough; but the article seems to say there were two people shooting at the same target and the photo doesn't seem to make it possible to tell whose shot fell where. Maybe there's some trick to it that I don't know, not being a fullbore shooter?

However, he really does bring this on himself; most of us would have the good sense not to write an article in a national magazine, which we know the Gardai and DoJ read, where we ponder whether or not the DoJ and Gardai have "lost the plot" in the first page, and then pose with our bayonet collection on the second...

skellig wrote:
    Hello D.V.S

By the way you shouldnt put vulgar words to print its not nice.
    Lighten up it was just a bit of fun on something I found amusing.
    Obviously we both see a different side to the story,thats o.k ,no offence intended to anyone.

I used no term that I find vulgar and that is used in common spoken english without offense being taken by most people,
    perhaps you find words more offensive than the ridicule of other individuals,
    I feel this is "not nice",
    we shall have to agree to differ.
    skellig wrote:
    PS have you asked any politician about their views on firearms ,if so would you let us know their views.
    Now that should be interesting providing you got any answers of course

yes I have just local politicians so far, but I hope to reach a little higher ,
    and it is unfortunate that by and large, they all take the line that guns are bad, because they think you are asking about criminal use of firearms, as portrayed by the media.

When you say, I meant legally held firearms, I'm involved in shooting sports!
    Most don't have an opinion, because they don't see the percentage in it,
    this is something we need to change.

Dvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jeffshc1

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, on October 20th, 2004. Tom Knapp using a 12-ga. Benelli with an extended magazine tube.
    Tom launched ten clay targets into the air with one hand and shot all ten with individual shots in 2.0 seconds.:eek:

Of course that's slow by my standards.
    ;)

D.V.S It was puplished in a National Magazine and I observed his claim and then gave my opinion on it , not a ridicule. My opinion seems very mild compared to the other opinions/ridicules I have read on Boards in the past.
    However there is no harm in agreeing to differ it makes for interesting reading when people are of different opinions.

Fair play to you for questioning the Politicians we all should do likewise.

Sorry but I cant resist it ;;Lets hope he doesnt Bayonet the target after running a thousand yds as well thus achieving another world record with a Bayonet group.
    Although I would advise something hard behind the target, we wouldnt want to see him crash through the target and getting stuck in the backstop!!:D :D:D

Sparks wrote:
    If I'm reading it right, he does state that he may have "equalled or exceeded" the world record but it "is not a line of enquiry I intend to pursue". Well, fair enough; but the article seems to say there were two people shooting at the same target and the photo doesn't seem to make it possible to tell whose shot fell where. Maybe there's some trick to it that I don't know, not being a fullbore shooter?

Hello Sparks,
    I have re-read the article and accept that it does not make it clear that both shooters were using different caliber rifles, and shooting at different targets, on the same back stop, each shooters hits being observed by the other, acting as a spotter while shooting was taking place.
    the actual range was 960 yards.

Both shooters groups were 20 inches below their respective targets.

And before anyone asks,
    No, I am not one of the shooters.
    And aware of the facts on the day, not just what appeared in the article.

Dvs.

• Advertisement

Where can you get a copy of Shooters Digest?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A lot of newsagents carry it O_P, it's usually tucked away though. Look for the shooting section, or failing that, the fishing section - I often find it longside the Irish Anglers Digest, which is a sister publication I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

As far as I can see the IBS record is 1.564". In spite of the name of the organisation I'm not sure that's a "World" record either - probably some sort of American national record.

But it's about twice as good as this character's group, at the full 1000 yards, with the full five shots and in a properly constituted competition.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=353950&sort=7&thecat=500&password=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ogam

Its just about bearable to read his articles at the moment

Dont read them then if they annoy you that much!!!

Hi Ogam,
    Who said anything about annoying.
    Dont get so wound up about it. Its just a matter of opinion thats all, if you get upset over this I suggest you dont read the Boards there are a lot of things more contraversial than this to be read here.
    To be honest what he writes is just about bearable to read and the rest of it is amusing and he has given me quite a few laughs in the past.(walter Mitty )After all you would be silly to take him serious.

It is our National Shooting Magazine and I believe it should be bought and read whether we think the content is good or bad at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ogam

skellig wrote:
    Hi Ogam,
    Who said anything about annoying.
    Dont get so wound up about it. Its just a matter of opinion thats all, if you get upset over this I suggest you dont read the Boards there are a lot of things more contraversial than this to be read here.
    To be honest what he writes is just about bearable to read and the rest of it is amusing and he has given me quite a few laughs in the past.(walter Mitty )After all you would be silly to take him serious.

It is our National Shooting Magazine and I believe it should be bought and read whether we think the content is good or bad at times.

I think a lot of people do take him seriously and enjoy what he writes. As for the walter mitty slur you should try and check your facts before making remarks that degrade a persons character and if this being wound up I make no apologies!!!

Advertisement