Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Times Eircom Article.

• 12-12-2005 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

"Eircom's 7,200 staff are being offered free broadband next year as the company looks to boost its broadband penetration in the key residential market.Workers are being offered its home starter package which retails at 29.95,for 12 months.
    Eircom staff will begin receiving free broadband in January as part of an "ambassador" programme".

What a company!.
    All those Ambassadors doing their stuff for Ireland! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

"Eircom's 7,200 staff are being offered free broadband next year as the company looks to boost its broadband penetration in the key residential market.Workers are being offered its home starter package which retails at 29.95,for 12 months.
    Eircom staff will begin receiving free broadband in January as part of an "ambassador" programme".

What a company!.
    All those Ambassadors doing their stuff for Ireland! :D

Thats going to be embarrasing for Eircom when it leaks out that only 10% of their staff have phone line good enough to actually get broadband :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

JimmySmith wrote:
    Thats going to be embarrasing for Eircom when it leaks out that only 10% of their staff have phone line good enough to actually get broadband :)
    Dont be ridiculous. It's closer to 20%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

starter package speed, contention ratio = 7,200:1 ? woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Apparently they're exempt from paying benefit in kind on it as it falls below the €250 a year threshold.
    I can't see how that works seeing as it retails at 29.99 a month according to the article. €360 or so a year.
    All these facts are from the article, so unless some of thresholds/figures are different. I didn't check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Cuauhtemoc wrote:
    Apparently they're exempt from paying benefit in kind on it as it falls below the €250 a year threshold.
    I can't see how that works seeing as it retails at 29.99 a month according to the article. €360 or so a year.
    All these facts are from the article, so unless some of thresholds/figures are different. I didn't check.

You don't pay it on anything IT/Comms related iirc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If your work needs a Laptop you can even get one of them Tax Free. Probably the ONLY real perk of my last job.

But if there is no concievable reason for you to have computer access in your job then a PC / Laptop is taxable.

So for some empolyees free Comms *might* be taxable*

As Eirtcom Employees wouldn't they get it at discount or wholesale rather than 29.99? Or does that include VAT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's an interesting move by Eircom. They timed it well as it made sense to do it anyway, and it will give the signup figures a shot in the arm. I wonder what they'll do for the engineers who can't get it because they are connected to a small exchange. Nothing?

I'd say the lines engineers have at home are in good nick because those who surf the net would not allow pairgains to be installed on their lines. The ones who wanted broadband would ensure the line was cleaned up.

Eircom could say that the broadband was necessary for their work because they wanted to carry out a mass trial of ADSL products on a wide variety of lines. Is it true to say that the tax exemption applies to more than just laptops, watty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

JimmySmith wrote:

10%? I'm sure it'll be 100% they'll be giving away broadband for them at work only, yes it's HOME starter, but who said they'll have it at home? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

My father has got this already, he was on the starter plus package and they downgraded him when he became an 'ambassador' ! :rolleyes:

Wasn't happy about 'my' speeds being halved, lucky I'm moving out soon ha,ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭federerfan

It'll be gas when half the 7,200 are ringing in to complain to the other half of the 7,200 that are on duty about:

late installations,
    botched installations,
    BB line fails,
    BB failure,
    billing problems,
    etc
    etc
    etc

Should make for some interesting canteen conversations in the EireCon caves....

Pistol :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement