Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

importing a snake

• 12-12-2005 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

hi all
    looking for some helpfull advice,links etc.

i was in the states with my girlfriend for the summer and we decided,well i decided to get a snake (python) for a pet.this was all well and good as i was expecting to be back there by now,but my circumstances have changed somewhat and it looks like ill be in ireland for the next 3-6 months.

in the begining all was fine and well when i left but now i think the snake is becoming too much bother for her and i was wondering if it would be possible for me to import it into ireland,i have no idea how to go about this and am basicaly looking for some advice.if all else fails ill tell her to give it back to the pet shop as its 100% healthy and eating.

thanks for having a read anyway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

http://oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/bringing_pets_to_ireland.html

Pets other than cats or dogs
    Further information regarding the importation of pets (other than cats/dogs) to Ireland is available from:

Department of Agriculture and Food,
    Live Trade Section,
    Animal Health and Welfare Division,
    Agriculture House,
    Kildare Street,
    Dublin 2.
    Tel: (01) 607 2862
    Fax: (01) 661 9031

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

In theory you could use a courier to bring the snake in.You would need a 24 hour heat pack and need to pay for guaranteed 24 hour delivery.You may also need export certificates from the US which can cost a fortune.

It may be a better idea to sell the snake over there and purchase another one when you get home as the cost involved are going to be huge.

Believe me Ive tried to find a route to bring in certain species which are not available in Europe and at the end of the day it wasnt worth the costs involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

By chance are there any reptile rescues in her area that she could send the snake too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

thanks for all the helpfull replies people,i got my mate jessie over there to take it,it will go along well with his 2 anacondas and boa's.
    he will be keeping it separate from them though thank god.

and the good thing is when i go back there he will return it to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Glad you friend is helping out :)

My hubby & I are thinking of moving to America & my problem will be getting my pets over there - & there is NO WAY I will ever get rid of my royal python or my cats or sugar gliders & I will be hard pressed to get rid of my pets skunks either LOL We have a lot of research to do!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Bond-007 wrote:
    Glad you friend is helping out :)

My hubby & I are thinking of moving to America & my problem will be getting my pets over there - & there is NO WAY I will ever get rid of my royal python or my cats or sugar gliders & I will be hard pressed to get rid of my pets skunks either LOL We have a lot of research to do!

Ill mind your Royal for you ;)
    Cant get one anywhere in Dublin at the minute--all sold out until January so there goes my Christmas pressie to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

hey quick question,what would be the rough price of a python here?

btw i brought my dog with me to the states without any problems,god i so miss that mutt

Now Ritchie thats a very kind offer but Syd is extra special - he was my brothers snake - about a week before my brother died he said if I go away you have to promise to look after my Stinky & my Syd (his cat & snake)

Sorry to hear about your brother.Its amazing how sentimental a loved ones pet can be for you.

fli wrote:
    hey quick question,what would be the rough price of a python here?

btw i brought my dog with me to the states without any problems,god i so miss that mutt

about €130 for a royal I believe at the moment. I am looking for a female for my Syd & thats what I was told.

• Advertisement

Wait till April and you`ll get one for around €80.00

Advertisement