Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whipping Boy

• 12-12-2005 1:11pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see that Whipping Boy are reforming and playing a gig in Cork. I hope they play in Dublin soon, missed them when they were on the scene before (about 10 years ago now I suppose), I have a bit of a sentimental (semi-mental?) urge to go see them again.

Anyone else remember them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭Doolittle51

They are playing the Olympia on Sunday (18th) Tickets are sold out though.

www.valentine69.com
    and
    www.whippingboy.net

for more details of the re-union etc.

I saw them once for free in the Virgin Megastore about 8 years ago.
    Excellent band, can't wait for Sunday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's a pity that Valentine69 site isn't updated with the latest articles from the Sunday Tribune and Totally Dublin.

You should probably hire a secretary or something to keep on top of things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭Doolittle51

Earthhorse wrote:
    It's a pity that Valentine69 site isn't updated with the latest articles from the Sunday Tribune and Totally Dublin.

Come back soon my friend, and there'll be updates galore! (Not sure about the Sunday TRIBUNE though ??)

Just added an interview with Paul and Ferghal from last night.

Ah, I meant the Sunday Times. If you'd hired a secretary like I asked more mistakes like that wouldn't slip through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Savage gig in Dublin last nite. Savage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Brilliant gig. Absolutely. They took a few songs to get into it but once they did it was amazing. They played some stuff I did not recognise, was it from their first album "Submarine"? God is an Astronaut were brilliant to, I bought one of their albums and it is great. Ill be seeing both again when they play. Whipping Boy looked like they were having a great time and could not believe the support of the people there. Everyone was so in to it.

Savage is exactly the word. I used it twice last night myself!

Moojuice, they played Favourite Sister, Valentine '69 and Sushi, all from Submarine. All great songs and all worked really well live too. They also played some songs from their third album but you probably recognised them.

Had a pretty good view of things from the pit. Wasn't too hectic in there either which I kinda preferred and the atmosphere was great for the whole night.

I heard that when Ferghal jumped into the crowd he smashed up some girl's nose. Ouch.

There was a guy recording the whole gig on video over at the side of the Circle. I wonder if there is any way to get a copy of the video?? Would love to see this gig aqain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭jd

Sorry I missed that. I remember seeing them years ago in The source near the back of trinity-it was either 87 or 88. And the summer of 87 Fergie played with a band called "Big Pink Devil" wearing a tutu (I think!!) at an Aidan Walsh concert in the Cathedral club...
    /me hobbles off

sirpsycho wrote:
    There was a guy recording the whole gig on video over at the side of the Circle. I wonder if there is any way to get a copy of the video?? Would love to see this gig aqain

I spotted that. Someone from the e-groups offered to record the whole thing so I'm not sure if it was him or someone else. Keep an eye on whippingboy.net as if it's going to become available I'm sure it will be announced there.

I also spotted Alison Curtis I'm pretty sure in one of the boxes on the left.

Didn't spot anyone getting clobbered by Fearghal on his many forays into the crowd. Certainly didn't see anyone get their face smashed by him. Last time we saw the band Fearghal managed to kick two of the girls we were with. We were hoping he'd repeat the feat last night but it wasn't to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Cheers for that Earthhorse. I havent listened to the last album in a while and it has been years since I heard anything from Submarine. Is it available anywhere to buy (cd or download). Heartworm still f***ing rocks!!!!

Moo

There used to be an MP3 page but it appears to be broken now. Submarine is pretty hard to find. It crops up on e-bay now and then but be prepared to fork out €50+ for it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Sickened that I missed it - had the night off too, but I'd say tickets were like gold-dust.

Anyway, next time I'm sure!

The lead singer was actually flogging tickets outside on the night!

He had four or five left over that he needed to pawn off. Judging from the response they got and how well things seemed to go I'm sure there'll be more gigs in the new year.

Even the touts couldnt get rid of their tickets outside the venue. I thought there would be people q-ing up to buy tickets for the sold out gig :(

I'll be watching whippingboy.net everyday now, fingers crossed that the video becomes available.

Moojuice, I've got submarine on mp3. I couldnt find any copies of the album anywhere but someone sent me on the mp3s. if you have broadband then PM me your email addy and we can arrange to send the mp3s if u want.

Advertisement