Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loyalist groups to march in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

How much money do you think this will cost? Get a clue.

Quite a lot actually, you will have to pay a lot of Gardai to supervise the event. That's without any trouble, with trouble you run into damage to public and private property, legal costs of courts and the cost to incarcerate if necessary.

There is a funadmental issue with the march as to why the Irish taxpayer should foot the bill for a potentially riotous march by people who don't consider themselves and indeed, are not, citizens of the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

ronoc wrote:
    Well if you can't be bothered to read and comprehend maybe you should stay out of topics that require a little more brainpower than making up stories in the third person.

This is a small island and believe it or not a lot of people on this island have different views.
    It wasn't too long ago civil rights marches were banned in the north and it was the republicans that were accused of stirring trouble.

I don't agree with their politics but I do acknowledge their right to protest.

ronoc you sanctimonious little ninny. Pighead was tempted to report that post to THE MODS. How dare you question my brainpower. However because its the season of goodwill I shall desist. You are obviosly a young man who chases with the hound and runs with the hare.

On the one hand you bleet:
    ronoc wrote:
    I don't agree with their politics but I do acknowledge their right to protest.

Seems you had a different opinion on acknowledging peoples right to protest last week.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50489706&postcount=57

If you cant be bothered being consistent with your views maybe you should stay out of topics that require a little more brainpower than basing your views on whatever article you've happened to read that morning. Heeeeeeere cooooooooome theeeeee rooooolllll eyyeeeeeeess. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pighead wrote:
    ronoc you sanctimonious little ninny. Pighead was tempted to report that post to THE MODS. How dare you question my brainpower. However because its the season of goodwill I shall desist. You are obviosly a young man who chases with the hound and runs with the hare.

On the one hand you bleet:

Seems you had a different opinion on acknowledging peoples right to protest last week.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50489706&postcount=57

If you cant be bothered being consistent with your views maybe you should stay out of topics that require a little more brainpower than basing your views on whatever article you've happened to read that morning. Heeeeeeere cooooooooome theeeeee rooooolllll eyyeeeeeeess. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Go away troll.
    If you are annoyed by my opinion keep it to yourself rather than ****ting up this thread any further.

And stop searching my post history thats creepy as well as having nothing to do with this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

No way, no ****ing way!!!!
    Not a chance is this going down.
    "I cant wait to see their faces when the union jack is flown"
    WTF **** like, The IRA dismantle so now it ass rapin time for the southerns.
    NO NO NO NO NO
    I will go up my self if i have too, if Bertie lets this happy he is insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭the_menace

LOL. The fact you don't know what you're talking about is hardly semantics or nonsense.:)

The fact that you, completely unprovoked, pointed out the definition of the word 'nation' or some other tid-bit or useless irrelevant fact hardly means that I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm having trouble trying to figure out what YOU'RE talking about and what point you're trying to make.
    You're really struggling now.:)

I'm not the one accusing people of not knowing what the word 'Nation' means. :rolleyes:
    The people of the North are part of the Irish nation. That's not idiocy, that's fact. As members of the Irish nation I think they have the right to march anywhere in the Irish nation.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I personally think that the Republic of Ireland shouldn't have to foot the bill for a protest carried out by the citizens of another country.
    How much money do you think this will cost? Get a clue.

Get a clue? I object to the citizens of another country coming here and protesting when I'm footing the bill. Particularly if they're down here to let us all know how much they don't want to have anything to do with us. The cost is irrelevant, it shouldn't be allowed. That is my opinion.

Oh, and speaking of getting a clue... read this: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nation :rolleyes:

Learn how to speak English and we'll talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The people of the North are part of the Irish nation. That's not idiocy, that's fact. As members of the Irish nation I think they have the right to march anywhere in the Irish nation.

You just insulted the marchers which is good.
    Problem is they say they are part of Brtish nation, not an Irish nation hence they do not have an automatic right to march.

ronoc wrote:
    Go away troll.
    If you are annoyed by my opinion keep it to yourself rather than ****ting up this thread any further.

And stop searching my post history thats creepy as well as having nothing to do with this topic.

You smarmy little mammys boy. Pigheads getting sick here reading your namby pamby posts. Pighead has already offered his opinions regarding the subject matter. Opinions that you ridiculed and rejected. Bottom line is I dont think this march is a good idea and i'm pretty sure it wont go ahead.
    You have already stated you think it could end in violence yet you think it should go ahead. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Should we ban peaceful protest, on the basis that the audience might cause trouble? Are we still a democracy?

These people have a right to protest here. This country is one of two which will effectively determine their future, whether they like it or not. Thus it is reasonable for them to protest here.

Pighead wrote:
    You smarmy little mammys boy. Pigheads getting sick here reading your namby pamby posts. Pighead has already offered his opinions regarding the subject matter. Opinions that you ridiculed and rejected. Bottom line is I dont think this march is a good idea and i'm pretty sure it wont go ahead.
    You have already stated you think it could end in violence yet you think it should go ahead. Why?

A threat of violence from the other side is no reason to prevent a protest. If that were the case we may as well cancel all protests.

Welcome to my ignore list :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

IT s not the violence its what their coming to represent. It will start out about piece and then thge Union Jacks will be plastered everywhere to give a **** you to the irish people. I m all for peace and have many english and protestant friend but this is just spitting in the ROI face, or at least will end up that way

ronoc wrote:
    A threat of violence from the other side is no reason to prevent a protest. If that were the case we may as well cancel all protests.

Pighead fcuking knew you were the type of person who'd use that spanner of a smiley. That green piece of grinning ****. Heeeeerrrrre cooooommmmeees the annnngrrry smmmilleeeyyyy.:mad:

And i'm pretty sure that the garda siochana and government will actually cancel all protests because of the threat of violence. If somebody knows Mr ronoc can you tell him what Pighead just said. Cheers.

Its pretty obvious why he's ignoring me anyway, ronocs quite shy, so if there's a fella he likes, he actually ignores them because he can't speak to them without getting all red and sweaty, it's embarrassing.
    Pigheads flattered ronoc but because of your political views, i'm gonna say NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

ronoc wrote:

There's an ignore list function? Happy Days!
    Quite brilliant, and most ironic, that you should point this out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Pighead banned for personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bloggs_k

them orange bastards shouldn't be let near dublin

bloggs banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Vorak

I think they shud be warmly welcomed, with banners reading.......

"Welcome Home"

"It's only a matter of time"

"Welcome to your Capital"

and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Vorak

Oh, sh*t!

Please dont ban me, i mean it in the nicest possible sense.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead fcuking knew you were the type of person who'd use that spanner of a smiley. That green piece of grinning ****. Heeeeerrrrre cooooommmmeees the annnngrrry smmmilleeeyyyy.:mad:

And i'm pretty sure that the garda siochana and government will actually cancel all protests because of the threat of violence. If somebody knows Mr ronoc can you tell him what Pighead just said. Cheers.

Its pretty obvious why he's ignoring me anyway, ronocs quite shy, so if there's a fella he likes, he actually ignores them because he can't speak to them without getting all red and sweaty, it's embarrassing.
    Pigheads flattered ronoc but because of your political views, i'm gonna say NO.

lmao, good call :)
    You're really struggling now.:)

lol... hardly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

the_menace wrote:
    The fact that you, completely unprovoked, pointed out the definition of the word 'nation' or some other tid-bit or useless irrelevant fact hardly means that I don't know what I'm talking about.

You provoked me into pointing it out by clearly not understanding the difference between a nation and a state:
    the_menace wrote:
    It's not an Irish nation. Britain still holds Ulster?

It's not my fault you don't know what you're talking about.
    the_menace wrote:
    I'm having trouble trying to figure out what YOU'RE talking about and what point you're trying to make.

I've noticed that you've been struggling alright.
    the_menace wrote:
    I'm not the one accusing people of not knowing what the word 'Nation' means. :rolleyes:

Um, that's because you DON'T know what it means whereas I do.:)
    the_menace wrote:
    Get a clue? I object to the citizens of another country coming here and protesting when I'm footing the bill.

Yeah your objections with this march are based on economic reasons. Riiiiight.:rolleyes:
    the_menace wrote:
    Particularly if they're down here to let us all know how much they don't want to have anything to do with us.

Now we're gettting closer to the real reason...
    the_menace wrote:
    Oh, and speaking of getting a clue... read this: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nation :rolleyes:

Learn how to speak English and we'll talk.

What on earth are you talking about now? Make sense.
    gurramok wrote:
    Problem is they say they are part of Brtish nation, not an Irish nation hence they do not have an automatic right to march.

Problem is, out constitution says otherwise.
    Dave McG wrote:
    lol... hardly..

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It's not an Irish nation. Britain still holds Ulster?

Sorry where exactly are Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan? Each with their very own Orange Orders.

I think you will find that Northern Ireland is an Irish Nation (Island of Ireland) just like Scotland, Wales and England are British nations (Island of Britian).

LOVE ULSTER ALL NINE :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭cil_aine

didn't they take out our right to the north in the constitution when they did the good friday agreement?

or is that not what your getting at?
    sorry.

didn't they take out our right to the north in the constitution when they did the good friday agreement?

That what I was think but all of the people in the six counties can get Irish Birth Certificates and passports.

As long as they has a mother or father from the Island of Ireland. But then that another disscussion. :mad:
    Article 1

The Irish nation hereby affirms its inalienable, indefeasible, and sovereign right to choose its own form of Government, to determine its relations with other nations, and to develop its life, political, economic and cultural, in accordance with its own genius and traditions.

Article 2

It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation. That is also the entitlement of all persons otherwise qualified in accordance with law to be citizens of Ireland. Furthermore, the Irish nation cherishes its special affinity with people of Irish ancestry living abroad who share its cultural identity and heritage.

Article 3

1. It is the firm will of the Irish Nation, in harmony and friendship, to unite all the people who share the territory
    of the island of Ireland, in all the diversity of their identities and traditions, recognising that a united Ireland
    shall be brought about only by peaceful means with the consent of a majority of the people, democratically
    expressed, in both jurisdictions in the island. Until then, the laws enacted by the Parliament established by
    this Constitution shall have the like area and extent of application as the laws enacted by the Parliament that
    existed immediately before the coming into operation of this Constitution.
    2. Institutions with executive powers and functions that are shared between those jurisdictions may be established
    by their respective responsible authorities for stated purposes and may exercise powers and functions in respect
    of all or any part of the island.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/upload/publications/297.htm

You provoked me into pointing it out by clearly not understanding the difference between a nation and a state:

Yeah your objections with this march are based on economic reasons. Riiiiight.:rolleyes:

Like I said you're getting bogged down in semantics, picking out inconsistencies in wording and your argument is a total joke. I oppose the march for two reasons - you obviously are trying to turn the argument around to accuse me of bigotry which is all I'd expect from someone who couldn't hold a debate to save his life. I oppose the march because 1) the marchers are not citizen of the Republic of Ireland (happy now? :rolleyes:) and don't pay taxes here and 2) the likelihood of there being troublemakers there. Sorry if that's not what you were expecting but as far as I'm concerned these people aren't welcome to protest on our streets. They can come down for the rugby and have the craic but not disrupt our businesses and drain our economy; albeit slightly. Like I said, they're not Republic of Ireland (:rolleyes: must watch my wording there) citizens. It's a very simple argument and opinion. Pity some don't have the caranial capacity to argue it without resorting to childish nit-picking.

the_menace wrote:
    Like I said you're getting bogged down in semantics, picking out inconsistencies in wording and your argument is a total joke.

Explain how. You just throw a hissy fit when your inconsistencies are presented before you.
    the_menace wrote:
    I oppose the march for two reasons - you obviously are trying to turn the argument around to accuse me of bigotry which is all I'd expect from someone who couldn't hold a debate to save his life.

I can debate. I've quoted your comments. You are really struggling mate.:)
    the_menace wrote:
    I oppose the march because 1) the marchers are not citizen of the Republic of Ireland (happy now? :rolleyes:) and don't pay taxes here

And you know this how? What if some people marching are Irish citizens? After all, victims groups are involved. Do we only allow the ones with Irish passports and turn away the others?
    the_menace wrote:
    and 2) the likelihood of there being troublemakers there.

Aren't there likely to be troublemakers at every protest? Aren't there likely to be troublemakers launching a counter-demonstration for example?
    the_menace wrote:
    Sorry if that's not what you were expecting but as far as I'm concerned these people aren't welcome to protest on our streets.

Why not? We're a Republic. Apparently we support equality. These people are regarded as members of the Irish nation by this State.
    the_menace wrote:
    They can come down for the rugby and have the craic but not disrupt our businesses and drain our economy; albeit slightly.

Says who? Where is that said in our constitution? I must have missed that article...
    the_menace wrote:
    Like I said, they're not Republic of Ireland (:rolleyes: must watch my wording there) citizens.

You seem to be saying alot of fanciful things coupled with alot of sarcastic smilies. That's hardly a sign of someone who can debate well. As pointed out to you, how can you be sure they are not ROI citizens?
    the_menace wrote:
    It's a very simple argument and opinion.

That's the problem. It's too simple. It's so simplistic that it doesn't take into account the idea that some involved in the march might actually have Irish passports. You work on the caveman logic of unionist = Brit, nationalist = Irish. End of story. Unfortunately for you pal, things are alot more complicated than that.
    the_menace wrote:
    Pity some don't have the caranial capacity to argue it without resorting to childish nit-picking.

It would be nit-picking to point out that there's no such word as 'caranial', good thing no one's pointed that out though.

I find it a pity that some people comment on the matter without having a clue about the complexities associated with it. Still, everyone has an opinion...

Explain how. You just throw a hissy fit when your inconsistencies are presented before you.

I grow weary here because we're going around in circles. You're just trolling along here. Where have I been inconsistent?
    I can debate. I've quoted your comments. You are really struggling mate.:)

No, you can't debate. The fact that you can't even stick to the topic, instead pointing out spelling errors and such proves it. Now who's struggling. :rolleyes:
    And you know this how? What if some people marching are Irish citizens? After all, victims groups are involved. Do we only allow the ones with Irish passports and turn away the others?

As I said before, if you're not paying taxes in this republic and if you're not a citizen of this republic then why should you be allowed to organise protests in this republic, draining the resources of and disrupting businesses in this republic? It's a simple argument and one that's quite easy to understand. It seems laughable that you can't debate this point without resorting to petty nit-picking.
    Aren't there likely to be troublemakers at every protest?

What's your point? Or do you have one?
    Aren't there likely to be troublemakers launching a counter-demonstration for example?

Judging by the nature of this march, I would say yes. Again, what's your point?
    Why not? We're a Republic. Apparently we support equality. These people are regarded as members of the Irish nation by this State.

Please refer to my previous remark. They're not paying taxes here and they don't want to be Irish citizens, so why should they drain our resources? If you think they SHOULD be allowed march down here, then fine. But by your baffling rationale any citizens of any country/nation/principality/berg/whatever should be allowed march in any other countrys capital at any time. Which, as I'm sure you know, is just silly. They may be regarded as members of this nation as you so tenuously put it but they're not tax-paying citizens. Simple as.
    You seem to be saying alot of fanciful things coupled with alot of sarcastic smilies. That's hardly a sign of someone who can debate well. As pointed out to you, how can you be sure they are not ROI citizens?

I won't even dignify that with a reply. I think we both know you're just being daft now. I would say few, if any, are Irish citizens. I'm sure there are some genuine protestors who want to march peacefully in remembrance of those murdered by nationalist terrorists but, let's face it, the track record of these marches in the North speaks for itself. To suggest otherwise would be naive and, well, idiotic.
    That's the problem. It's too simple. It's so simplistic that it doesn't take into account the idea that some involved in the march might actually have Irish passports.

Chances are most won't. Let's stop being silly now please.
    You work on the caveman logic of unionist = Brit, nationalist = Irish. End of story. Unfortunately for you pal, things are alot more complicated than that.

How do I work under that logic? If putting words into my mouth is the best you can do then I'm afraid your argument has fallen flat on its ass.
    It would be nit-picking to point out that there's no such word as 'caranial', good thing no one's pointed that out though.

Oh, pointing out spelling mistakes now are we? And you say I'm struggling. Go on, pick out a few more spelling errors in my post if it makes you feel like a big man. :rolleyes: I'm sure there are a good few. It might help to pad out your replies which aren't exactly replete with on-topic debate, let's face it.
    I find it a pity that some people comment on the matter without having a clue about the complexities associated with it. Still, everyone has an opinion...

I find it a pity that some people comment on other people's understanding of certain issues without having a clue how much or little that person knows about said issue. Ironically, if you had any clue what you were talking about you would see that this march is, despite its noble coat, an undertaking that is being used to antagnoise people in the Republic of Ireland. Call me a bigot, tell me I don't have a clue what I'm talking about but, sadly, history has given credence to my fears about this parade. Or don't you now anything about the effect orange marches have up North? Probably not. :rolleyes: (<- another smiley, I must be struggling :rolleyes: Ooops! There we go again)

Anyway, I grow weary of this debate as it's going nowhere. I hope some of the posters here are right though and it passes off peacefully.

That's the problem. It's too simple. It's so simplistic that it doesn't take into account the idea that some involved in the march might actually have Irish passports. You work on the caveman logic of unionist = Brit, nationalist = Irish. End of story. Unfortunately for you pal, things are alot more complicated than that.
    Have you seen their marches up north yet to evaluate who participates?
    They consist of a
    -victims group(only unionist victims voices may be seen and heard), unionist victims of even loyalist paramilitaries are not welcome never mind nationalist victims
    -Orange marching bands
    -attendance of top loyalist paramilitaries hence the withdrawal of support for this Love Ulster thing from mainstream unionist parties

Caveman logic ie nice, your insulting an upstanding loyalist by sayin they would even contemplate having a passport of a state they regard as foreign.

the_menace wrote:
    I grow weary here because we're going around in circles. You're just trolling along here. Where have I been inconsistent?

You have given different reasons for your opposition to the march.
    the_menace wrote:
    No, you can't debate. The fact that you can't even stick to the topic, instead pointing out spelling errors and such proves it. Now who's struggling. :rolleyes:

You are. Since you're so fond of these smilies here's one describing your argument - :D .
    the-menace wrote:
    As I said before, if you're not paying taxes in this republic and if you're not a citizen of this republic then why should you be allowed to organise protests in this republic, draining the resources of and disrupting businesses in this republic? It's a simple argument and one that's quite easy to understand.

Stop running away from the issue. Answer the question. I'll repeat it for you:

"What if some people marching are Irish citizens? After all, victims groups are involved. Do we only allow the ones with Irish passports and turn away the others?"

Answer if you can.
    the_menace wrote:
    What's your point?

The point is, do you ban all protests or what?
    the_menace wrote:
    They're not paying taxes here and they don't want to be Irish citizens,

You know this how? Stop making sweeping statements.
    the_menace wrote:
    so why should they drain our resources?

They won't 'drain' our resources. We're doing alright economically speaking.
    the_menace wrote:
    But by your baffling rationale any citizens of any country/nation/principality/berg/whatever should be allowed march in any other countrys capital at any time. Which, as I'm sure you know, is just silly.

Hold on...I'm trying to stop laughing here...let me get this straight, in your eyes it's WRONG for members of a nation to march in the national capital? LOL! Oh, you're funny!
    the_menace wrote:
    They may be regarded as members of this nation as you so tenuously put it but they're not tax-paying citizens. Simple as.

LOL! It's NOT simple because some of them MIGHT be tax-paying citizens for all you know!
    the_menace wrote:
    I won't even dignify that with a reply. I think we both know you're just being daft now. I would say few, if any, are Irish citizens.

I thought you weren't going to dignify the question with a reply? You prove my point. You confidently assert that 'few, if any' will be Irish citizens. What if just a 'few' are? Do we still ban the march then? What criteria must a person meet in your eyes to march?
    the_menace wrote:
    Chances are most won't. Let's stop being silly now please.

I've been waiting for you to stop being silly since yesterday!
    the_menace wrote:
    How do I work under that logic? If putting words into my mouth is the best you can do then I'm afraid your argument has fallen flat on its ass.

This is the logical conclusion to your argument. You refuse to accept, to even accept, that someone in these marches might be an Irish citizen!
    the_menace wrote:
    Oh, pointing out spelling mistakes now are we? And you say I'm struggling.

Just trying to add a bit of humour into the discussion but you seem bereft of humour. Sadly, you seem bereft of alot of things...
    the_menace wrote:
    Go on, pick out a few more spelling errors in my post if it makes you feel like a big man. :rolleyes: I'm sure there are a good few.

Well this is just a small criticism mind but could you please lay off the sarcastic smilies? I'm sure you can make a sarcastic comment without resorting to them. Cheers.
    the_menace wrote:
    I find it a pity that some people comment on other people's understanding of certain issues without having a clue how much or little that person knows about said issue.

LOL! You showed a misunderstanding of the difference between nations and states. Even someone else pointed that out. Look at Elmo's 18:06 pm post towards you. Did you miss that one? LOL.
    the_menace wrote:
    Ironically, if you had any clue what you were talking about you would see that this march is, despite its noble coat, an undertaking that is being used to antagnoise people in the Republic of Ireland.

Um, didn't I say that many pages ago? Oh the irony of you telling me I don't have a clue! You're just embarrassing yourself now! LOL.
    the_menace wrote:
    Call me a bigot, tell me I don't have a clue what I'm talking about but, sadly, history has given credence to my fears about this parade.

Actually the previous Love Ulster parade in the North passed off without violence. No need for tall tales.
    the_menace wrote:
    :rolleyes: (<- another smiley, I must be struggling :rolleyes: Ooops! There we go again)

Least you figured that out.
    the_menace wrote:
    I hope some of the posters here are right though and it passes off peacefully.

Something we agree on! At last!

gurramok wrote:
    Have you seen their marches up north yet to evaluate who participates?

Yes I have actually.
    gurramok wrote:
    Caveman logic ie nice, your insulting an upstanding loyalist by sayin they would even contemplate having a passport of a state they regard as foreign.

Not everyone there will necessarily class themselves as 'loyalist'.

Yes I have actually.
    Can you name the groups that participate?
    Not everyone there will necessarily class themselves as 'loyalist'.
    How do you know, where you on one?

• Advertisement

Mr. Nice Guy, your argument's ridiculous. You're now resorting to the insinuation that the marchers are paying taxes in the Republic and that they're citizens. Troll. :rolleyes:

the_menace wrote:
    Mr. Nice Guy, your argument's ridiculous. You're now resorting to the insinuation that the marchers are paying taxes in the Republic and that they're citizens. Troll. :rolleyes:

In other words, you've run away from the argument. Hopefully it proved educational for you. Funny that I'm accused of being a troll by a guy with only 24 posts to his name! In fact, I can't recall seeing you around the place though you popped up at a time when unionists were being criticised. Fancy that.
    gurramok wrote:
    Can you name the groups that participate?

The Orange Order, FAIR (Families Acting for Innocent Relatives), womens groups, community groups are all involved.
    gurramok wrote:
    How do you know, where you on one?

You don't have to be on one to know that some won't class themselves as loyalists. It's not exactly a popular term these days since it's associated with paramilitaries.

In other words, you've run away from the argument. Hopefully it proved educational for you. Funny that I'm accused of being a troll by a guy with only 24 posts to his name! In fact, I can't recall seeing you around the place though you popped up at a time when unionists were being criticised. Fancy that.

Yeah, I must be some kind of bigot. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Tempers are flared up in dis hizzle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If they are irish citezins they have a right to march where they want, if they aren't, then they can march where they live

PHB wrote:
    If they are irish citezins they have a right to march where they want, if they aren't, then they can march where they live

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

PHB wrote:

And from speaking to them on their forum they can't stand people calling them Irish and consider themselves british. Even though Northern Ireland isn't in Britain, it's in the UK. So they aren't too sure where they are from. But one thing is for certain, they do not live under Irish rule, they do not abide by Irish law, they do not consider themselves Irish, they do not pay Irish taxes.

the_menace wrote:
    Yeah, I must be some kind of bigot. Zzzzzzzzzzz

If people want to see your first post, they can check out this link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50530650#post50530650

You say and I quote:
    Personally I can't say I'd be too upset if there was violence. It would add fuel to these loyalists' argument that a united Ireland is a bad thing; and as far as I'm concerned it is. As much as I like the idea in theory, I don't want to share my country with these people. Leave them up North and let them live their sad, bitter, bigotted lives and let us get on with being one of the strongest economies on earth. Any peaceful people on either side of the religious divide in Ulster that want to come down and live in peace are more than welcome.

Of course you're not bigoted at all are you?!

By the way the above sentence is an example of sarcasm without resorting to a sarcastic smilie.

Why don't you try and justify the above comments you made? I can't wait to hear this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Here's the real reason they will be marching in Dublin, F-all to do with a protest march. It's a full blown Orange Order March through Dublin, the protest march means nothing to the most of them. They can piss off if they think they are going having that!
    Have a look yourselves!
    http://loveulster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=54406#54406 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This is getting f*cking ridiculous. It's quite clear that you don't know what you're talking about MNG, and you are resorting to silly semantics cos you don't want to admit defeat. Just take a step back, you're out of your depth.

If people want to see your first post, they can check out this link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50530650#post50530650

You say and I quote:

Of course you're not bigoted at all are you?!

By the way the above sentence is an example of sarcasm without resorting to a sarcastic smilie.

Why don't you try and justify the above comments you made? I can't wait to hear this!

Read what I said again without highlighting the parts that suit you. Oh, and feel free to share your opinions with us at any time rather than trolling and talking absolute rubbish. As far as I'm concerned, any person who feels that the citizens of one country should be allowed to organise protests in another en masse is a complete idiot. So I'd really like to hear some more tangible arguments from you regarding why we should foot the bill for this - other than "get a clue, it won't cost us much" or such moronic tripe. Either that, or pipe down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

the_menace wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned, any person who feels that the citizens of one country should be allowed to organise protests in another en masse is a complete idiot.

But it has happened here before. The falun-gong heads protest each time some bigwig from China visits. I very much doubt that many of the falug-gongers are Irish citizens or would even want citizenship here. The loveulster crowd can have such citizenship if they desire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Mr Nice guy;

Never have I met a postered who's argument mainly consists of "talking up" his own posts (ie "I am making a good point") while belittling the posts of others (ie "you're really struggling" "start making sense") leaving aside how incredibly patronising and arrogant this kind of behaviour is; you are not the adjucatory of this debate, and dismissing the points of other posters, while announcing your argument is superior is childish and not in the spirit of debating.

Furthermore you are engaging in semantic nitpicking (ie "how would they drain our resources, we're doing alright financialy" clearly the poster meant "a drain" not completely drain)

Theres something deeply troubling about someone who has to advertise that they are a "nice guy" while acting in such a boorish conscending and arrogant manner.

fly_agaric wrote:
    But it has happened here before. The falun-gong heads protest each time some bigwig from China visits. I very much doubt that many of the falug-gongers are Irish citizens or would even want citizenship here. The loveulster crowd can have such citizenship if they desire

It's a completely different matter. The Chinese protesting here would either have been a) citizen or b) residents paying taxes - most of them anyway. Completely incomprable.

Freelancer wrote:
    Mr Nice guy;

Never have I met a postered who's argument mainly consists of "talking up" his own posts (ie "I am making a good point") while belittling the posts of others (ie "you're really struggling" "start making sense") leaving aside how incredibly patronising and arrogant this kind of behaviour is; you are not the adjucatory of this debate, and dismissing the points of other posters, while announcing your argument is superior is childish and not in the spirit of debating.

Furthermore you are engaging in semantic nitpicking (ie "how would they drain our resources, we're doing alright financialy" clearly the poster meant "a drain" not completely drain)

Theres something deeply troubling about someone who has to advertise that they are a "nice guy" while acting in such a boorish conscending and arrogant manner.

I'll leave him with you so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

the_menace wrote:
    b) residents paying taxes.

Yeah. Didn't think of that aspect.

And from speaking to them on their forum they can't stand people calling them Irish and consider themselves british. Even though Northern Ireland isn't in Britain, it's in the UK. So they aren't too sure where they are from. But one thing is for certain, they do not live under Irish rule, they do not abide by Irish law, they do not consider themselves Irish, they do not pay Irish taxes.

I think you will find that they don't mind being called Irish but they beleive themselfs to be British.

From what I understand a really unionist would like a United Ireland ruled by London.

LOVE ULSTER ALL NINE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

the_menace wrote:
    I'll leave him with you so ;)

Cute, but I see both points of view, while I think Mr Nice guy's argument these people are part of the Irish nation, is infantile, not least because the kind of person who'll travel to another country to protest that they'll never be part of such a country would take offense at his logic.

While on the other hand your argument that foreigners shouldn't be allowed travel to another country means you'd criminalise the south korean farmers currently protesting at the WTO conference in Hong Kong.

I think that by yelling about how they can't come down here you're giving them the oxygen of publicity that they craved.

If you want to object object in a quite dignified manner on the day, you're giving that ilk exactly what they want.

Freelancer wrote:
    Cute, but I see both points of view, while I think Mr Nice guy's argument these people are part of the Irish nation, is infantile, not least because the kind of person who'll travel to another country to protest that they'll never be part of such a country would take offense at his logic.

While on the other hand your argument that foreigners shouldn't be allowed travel to another country means you'd criminalise the south korean farmers currently protesting at the WTO conference in Hong Kong.

I think that by yelling about how they can't come down here you're giving them the oxygen of publicity that they craved.

If you want to object object in a quite dignified manner on the day, you're giving that ilk exactly what they want.

I appreciate your objectivity but you can't really compare South Korean farmers or Falun-gong praticioners with Loyalists. Especially considering fairly recent history and the fact that certain significantly sized sections of their society are likely to hijack this protest and try to provoke violence or at least insolence/agitation. Not only that but the almost exclusive majority or marchers won't be citizens of the Republic, unlike the WTO (which is a global issue anyway - member cities volunteer to hold the conference).

I really can't quite understand how any Rep. Ireland citizen would want foreigners protesting in their capital at the cost of the incumbent taxpayer. It's not bigotry, it's not xenophobia, it's simply not on :D

Do I hope the march passes peacefully? Yes. Do I hope that the march passes peacefully if there are violent, agitating elements present in the protestors group? No. Why? Because, well, I don't want a united Ireland and it would be a good, albeit unfortunate way, of ensuring that such a silly march doesn't happen again. And with any luck Bertie will stop meddling in their affairs.

I really can't quite understand how any Rep. Ireland citizen would want foreigners protesting in their capital at the cost of the incumbent taxpayer. It's not bigotry, it's not xenophobia, it's simply not on

Because unlike you we many of us don't think of them as foreigners. If we thought like you we would be bother by the death and distruction cause in the north over 25 years on both sides.

It is important that we stand up to make sure that that won't happen again.

Also the tri colour represents the unity (White) of Feniens (Green) and Orange Men (Orange)
    I don't want a united Ireland

Perhaps you should help with their protest so.

LOVE ULSTER ALL NINE. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement