Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frustration at eircom through smart!

• 12-12-2005 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

:mad: ARGH.

Just off the phone to smart and they tell me eircom will not be processing any order until mid january...I ordered broadband on the 24th of November and there was no mention of this (I actually ordered about a month before but had to update details on 24th to reapply).

Anyway, this is pretty god damn annoying i've been in dublin for 3 months with a broadband capable phone line and things are not going well at all. The other problem is that i'm only here for 9 more months and the longer it take for me to get broadband the longer i will be paying for a service that i won't be using at the end of the year.

So, does anyone have any idea if I can get eircom/smart to sort something out and if i can how i might go about doing it...

I need broadband for my webdesign and gaming...i'm so frustrated i could cry :(

Thanks for your time,
    Eoin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'd imagine it'll be feb at the earliest that you're up and running, if not later.

i presume it just has to go through eircom's dept.'s and they've a backlog....

is there a particular reason you want to change to smart especially? would it not be alot quicker and easier just getting bb off one of the other over-the-phoneline providers?

i got bb there a few weeks back. digiweb dsl - 6 month contract, took me 4 working days from ordering to be surfing. i dunno about the contracts for other providers, but i've heard of people waiting upto 5 or 6 weeks to get their modem off BT....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kiazoe

surely if i were to go with another dsl service they would have to go through eircom anyway and there would still be the same backlog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It works differently. Smart unbundle lines, eircon get less money. BT resell eircon prodcut. Smart pose a much greater threat so Eircon do everything they can to stifle competition.... except offer a better product.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kiazoe wrote:
    surely if i were to go with another dsl service they would have to go through eircom anyway and there would still be the same backlog?

Not necessarily, Smart use a process called Local Loop Unbundling, where Smart actually take complete ownership of your telephone line and is therefore more complicated.

Digiweb (and also BT/UTV/Netsource) uses Eircom's Bitstream product were they basically just resell Eircoms BB.

well i've opted to go with digiweb as they offer 6 month contract. Unfortunately that means losing out on better pricing by smart, 256kb up, and possibility of interleaving off on the line.

Guess broadband vs no internet at all (or 3 months of paying for something i won't be in the country to use) is better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

It would be almost 6 months til you get the smart line going anyway(very roughly!) so why not take that in the mean time n take smart when its ready? thsi might not be possible but look into it at least

A fair point, however i am moving to belfast at the end of august so the fact that my smart application kept getting pushed back meant i would be paying for 12 months (some time 2007 when i'm in belfast).

Typical :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

If I was getting broadband for such a short period of time, I'd go with eircom directly, although it's not a guarantee that you will have it installed quickly. I have a friend that ordered broadband about 2 months ago from eircom and he is only getting it next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

kiazoe wrote:
    well i've opted to go with digiweb as they offer 6 month contract. Unfortunately that means losing out on better pricing by smart, 256kb up, and possibility of interleaving off on the line.

Guess broadband vs no internet at all (or 3 months of paying for something i won't be in the country to use) is better than nothing.

eircom are upgrading their lines in january apparently. i've heard that all the eircom resellers will have the same speed increases too. i know if digiweb is getting upgraded like people here have said bt will, that my 2mb is going to 3mb/384kb.
    if you ring them and ask nicely they might turn it off for you. i've heard of some engineers ( can't remember if it was the digiweb or smart ones) on here occasionally doing it for people.

Advertisement