Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Poll

• 12-12-2005 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

who do you think would win the WC (without Brazil)

who will win the WC ? Brazil excepted 45 votes

Germany
    0% 0 votes
    England
    4% 2 votes
    Spain
    28% 13 votes
    Italy
    11% 5 votes
    USA
    24% 11 votes
    Argentina
    4% 2 votes
    France
    22% 10 votes
    Portugal
    0% 0 votes
    Sweden
    2% 1 vote
    somebody else
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

You need to add a poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I'll go for England, on paper they have a great team and squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So the poll should read, if Brazil dont win the world cup, who will it be?

I think Mexico have a massive chance of upsetting everyone at this world cup. They have nothing to fear of the South American sides, and are a better footballing team than most of Europe also, Holland and Italy aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

Czech Republic - worth a bet anyway:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Holland, Van basten is doing a super job there and I fancy them to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Where is holland in your pole ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I dont necessarily think that they will win it but im going to put a bit of a bet on Portugal to do it. They are a top side in my opinion with great players all over the pitch. They are certainly dark horses for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

robz150 wrote:
    Czech Republic - worth a bet anyway:)

Not really, with the group they are in , Italy, USA and Ghana to get past, if they finish second they more than likley meet Brazil.
    Prior to the draw I was going to put money on USA getting to semi's, but I woun't bother now with that sort of draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's kinda the same every WC tournament.
    People say stuff like, "Well Holland or Spain could do it if the could just find some consistancy.
    And England could do it also, because let's face it, they do have the players, they just need a bit of luck.
    And you should never write off the French and the Italians, always in with a shout, Argentina too!"
    But invariably Brazil just romp home with it.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Trinidad & Tobago or maybe Togo will do!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Not really, with the group they are in , Italy, USA and Ghana to get past, if they finish second they more than likley meet Brazil.
    Prior to the draw I was going to put money on USA getting to semi's, but I woun't bother now with that sort of draw.

Whoever wins Group E will have a pretty easy route to the Semis. It is not impossible that the US could do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

FatherTed wrote:
    Whoever wins Group E will have a pretty easy route to the Semis. It is not impossible that the US could do it.

Yea but topping group E is a probelm.
    You basically have 3 teams hunting for 2 spots, no offence to Ghana but I know nothing about them, they may be a Cameroon of 2006.
    Italy are traditionally slow starters, however from reading other threads they are supposed to be very good this year, so I'd make them favs. to top the group, then the USA and CR are fighting for a meeting in the last 16 with Brazil, scary stuff.

then the USA and CR are fighting for a meeting in the last 16 with Brazil, scary stuff.

There is also the possibilty that Brazil might finish 2nd in their group.

B.

Why hasn't anybody mentioned Germany yet? I'd say that they would be one of the firm favourites to win even taking Brazil into consideration. They are the host nation after all and they did reach the final in the last WC with a decidedly average squad.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I think if Mexico get out of their group they could do quiet well, as could Austrialia...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

BigCon wrote:
    I think if Mexico get out of their group they could do quiet well, as could Austrialia...

Whatever about Mexico...Australia getting anywhere is a bit optimistic!!

gimmick wrote:
    So the poll should read, if Brazil dont win the world cup, who will it be?

I think Mexico have a massive chance of upsetting everyone at this world cup. They have nothing to fear of the South American sides, and are a better footballing team than most of Europe also, Holland and Italy aside.

BigCon wrote:

Mexico will come up against Argentina or Holland in the second round and that will be the end of Mexico's run.

Yea but topping group E is a probelm.
    You basically have 3 teams hunting for 2 spots, no offence to Ghana but I know nothing about them, they may be a Cameroon of 2006.
    Italy are traditionally slow starters, however from reading other threads they are supposed to be very good this year, so I'd make them favs. to top the group, then the USA and CR are fighting for a meeting in the last 16 with Brazil, scary stuff.

The US has improved since 2002, with a much better defence and more depth. Also it's not a given that Italy will top the group. I think any of Italy, US and the Czechs could win the group and wouldnt count out Ghana for the second spot.

Also, remember the name Eddie Johnson, a US kid. You heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Seriously, Holland gotta be in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ And Freddie Adu, the new 'WUNDERKID" of world football supposedly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

the czech's wil top their group and win the tournament. im gonna have a few quid on them anyway. Their odds will have lenghtened after the draw they got:D

gimmick wrote:
    ^ And Freddie Adu, the new 'WUNDERKID" of world football supposedly.

Adu probably wont make the US squad this time, too young. The US have 2 friendlies lined up for January where I think he might get called up. Arena will be calling in a lot of the lower MLS prospects for him to have a look at.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I saw an interview with Bruce Arena and he pretty much stated that although he knows Adu is a fantastci prospect, he feels that he is too young for the national side. I could be wrong but I dont think he actually has a national cap yet. Its unlikely that he will feature in the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

cant see past italy tbh

not 100% sure how the draw works,m but i would fancy an Italy Vs Brazil final, tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Id say if England qualify easily enough,as they should, theyll get the confidence to put in good performances if the right team is picked every match and theyll be well able to reach the final if they stay focused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

This poll should be renamed - "Who will Brazil beat in the final?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I don't think Brazil are going to win it.

Holland or Italy are my bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Holland is who i think will win. they are amazing atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i`ll go with england on this one,naturally i`m very biased though:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Holland is who i think will win. they are amazing atm

Always a big disapointment in european and world championships though. I'd love to see Holland win, always enjoy watching them play, if they could only get it together with the players they have they should surely be able to challenge for it. If brazil aren't included in this then my money would be on Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I didn't put Holland in the poll because they're a bunch of second rate plodders. Or maybe I forgot to add them. cannot remember.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'll bet england or italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Brazil wont win it. Germany or Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Pal wrote:
    I didn't put Holland in the poll because they're a bunch of second rate plodders. Or maybe I forgot to add them. cannot remember.
    :D
    Holland played 12 games in the qualifiers, scored 27 and conceded 1!!!!!! and you left them out!!!!.

My money is on Holland all the way the system they play is excellent with two wide men and RVN up front.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm going with Holland on this one to be honest. Can't argue with 27 for and 1 against in 12 matches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

irish1 wrote:
    Holland played 12 games in the qualifiers, scored 27 and conceded 1!!!!!! and you left them out!!!!.

My money is on Holland all the way the system they play is excellent with two wide men and RVN up front.

it's all academic.
    Brazil will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I've been going on for a while about Spain being due a good tournament and I really think now is their time. My friends laughed at me when I bet them Potugal would win the Euros and they held their breath as I was almost right. Hopefully Spain will do one better for me this time.

My friends laughed at me when I bet them Potugal would win the Euros and they held their breath as I was almost right.

I also bet on Portugal for the Euros and couldnt believe it when the might Greeks beat them. I actually think the Portugese side has improved since them and I intend on betting on them again. Nobody seems to be mentioning them even as a dark horse and I cant understand that. They have quality players all over the pitch, excellent full backs and centre backs, two good wingers who when they turn it on can be up there with the best, great central midfield options with Maniche, costinha, petit and deco and good quality forwards in Pauleta and Nuno Gomes. They ahve many others in their squad who are capable of turning it on when required.

They are worth a bet. 20/1 on Paddy Power. You heard it here first :D

Dempsey wrote:
    Brazil wont win it. Germany or Argentina.

At last! Somebody else has said Germany. Can't believe so few people think they have a chance. Home advantage counts for an awful lot in these tournaments.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I agree Baz but I'd be worried about their defence. AFAIK their first choice central defensive partnership is Robert Huth partnering another 21 year old, Mertesacker. They've an excellent forward line but if they're going to beat someone like Brazil or Holland it'll be a case of you score 2, we'll score 3. Can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

the soccer has really improved so has there training facilities and there league!if they dont win ill say they will reach the semi-finals at least id b very suprised if they dont perform!

chiller wrote:
    the soccer has really improved so has there training facilities and there league!if they dont win ill say they will reach the semi-finals at least id b very suprised if they dont perform!

Yeah I think USA could do well in the tournament but they are in a very hard group which will be very tough to get out of. If they can manage they will be tough opposition for whoever is up against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Does ayone think an african team could do well?

Kingp35 wrote:
    Yeah I think USA could do well in the tournament but they are in a very hard group which will be very tough to get out of. If they can manage they will be tough opposition for whoever is up against them.

The US doesnt have any outstanding "stars" but they are a very good "team". Arena does his homework on opponants and come June, they will be hard to crack. In the last World Cup, he took a relatively unknown player even by US standards then, Pablo Mastroeni and told him to shadow Figo all day long. He put on two young kids Donovan and Beasley who just ran and ran all game long and gave the Portugese defense fits. He will do the same this time.

Advertisement