Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice.

Options
  • 12-12-2005 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    If anyone out there could give me some advice, I'd be grateful.
    A family member is suffering from Arthritis, and is essentially unable to walk. we need to invest in some equipment to help her in her daily life such as support bars for the bathroom, commode, items to help wash etc. Can anyone recommend any places that sell this type of equipment? It doesnt seem to be the easiest of products to find.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

There's a poster here who, if memory serves, sells walk in baths, or items in that line. I'll have a look at some PMs I have from him and forward you his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That would be rooferPete

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=35653

There should be a wide range of products available. The relevant part of the building regulations is "Part M" and many manufacturers produce "Part M" kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

That's the one, thanks Victor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Archeron,

Take a look at www.wibco.net there is a range of walk in baths on display if you wish to send an email I will forward the details to you.

Regards,

Peter.

Oh, there are also shower options, with things as simple as a seat and a shower tray thats flush with the floor.

http://www.armitage-shanks.co.uk/
    www.shires-bathrooms.co.uk
    http://avc.ucd.ie/DraWare/Conference/catcarr.htm
    http://www.assistireland.ie/index.asp?locID=181&docID=6561

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Contact your local Social Welfare office - they should be able to allow you some kind of allowance to purchase these and should be able to advise you on suppliers also.

The helped us a lot when we needed it for my Grandmother (after a lot of holding and them trying to figure out who the correct person to talk to would be!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The Key people you need are like a chain of command, the District Nurse is vital AFAIK she can be contacted at your local health cenre or through your G.P.

The Nurse will then ask the Occupational Therapist to call and access the persons needs and the best course of action needed.

There are many items that are not means tested since the introduction of Medical Cards for the Elderly, some of the more expensive items may involve a contribution from the family or the person in need.

There are provisions for grant aid and in some cases the VAT is returned.

Regards,

Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

Great, thanks everyone for the fantastic advice. I'll get in touch with social services and see if we could qualify for a grant.

much appreciate your time!!!

Archeron wrote:
    Great, thanks everyone for the fantastic advice. I'll get in touch with social services and see if we could qualify for a grant.
    While the HSE may give a grant towards appliances, your local council might also provide a grant for home alteration, e.g. a small extension to provide a downstairs bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

well im a 3rd year Occupational therapy student i defiently advise getting in touch, you can do so via referral from your GP, he will send your details to a community OT who will then put you on a waiting list, could be a month or two depending on how busy and how urgent the case is. you will get the equipment free of charge provided you have a medical card. there are several types of equipment some are P1s (prority ones eg pressure cushions, hoists if the client is in immediate danger take 5days to get), P2's (raised toilet seats, wheelchairs, orthopaedic chairs, 2-3weeks), P3s (anything non-vital, eg specially designed cutlery/ taps for those with rheumatoid arthritis 1month-2months).
    you can go the private route but don't go buying anything without getting advised by a professional as it could end up being a waste of money, or a health and safety risk if it's not correctly fitted/ and it's purpose fully explained. that's why you need to understand anatomy/ biomechanics/ medicine and orthopaedics etc when advising people on equipment. im happy to answer any questions you may have.

i also did my last placement in community rehab.

• Advertisement

Snorlax,
    thanks a million for the post. I hope perhaps you could give me some advice?
    My mum suffers from arthritis in her knees and pelvis area, effectively she is unable to walk. (she manages at the moment when she has to, but with great pain). She is on social welfare. She is 62 years old, and she is a quite a heavy woman, due to her inability to exercise. We have had a local nurse visit her, but the nurse advised that because she has not reaced 65 yet, there is nothing the social welfare will do for her. We own our own house as well, and I dont know if that affects her entitlements. She was referred the a HSE group, but they responded with a letter saying they dont deal with overweight people, so thats kind of left us at a bit of a loose end! We are still waiting for her GP to come out and visit her as she hasnt seen her doctor in many many months. Do you think with her age and circumstances that she could indeed be entitled to get some social welfare help? We've been looking into this for 18 months now, and we havent had too much luck,which is why we were just going to go out and buy what she needs outselves.
    thanks again!

Archeron wrote:
    We own our own house as well, and I dont know if that affects her entitlements.
    Generally no. In assessing means, only readily cashable assets are counted (bank / CU accounts, shares, etc.) and even then, the first €X0,000 isn't counted.

i'm not really an expert on entitlements, you may be able to get a grant off you local county council they give money for house adaptions etc, but again you need assessments etc. it might be worth giving them a ring.
    but i definetly recommed you ask you Gp about a referral or even talk to him down the phone about it. it always good to get properly assessed for equipment to make sure you get the right stuff and it's installed properly, avoiding the possible health and safety risk (especially if your getting a hoist/ wheelchair) and the purchase of equipment that won't actually be used. some people simply don't like AT (assistive technology) so it's good to make sure they know what's happening and if they aggree on it before giving over loads of your hard earned cash (you can get a private OT if you don't want to wait, www.aoti.ie as a list of OTs in private practice or the telephone directory as a few).

thanks again everybody, I much appreciate the great advice.

no problem :) Archeron, hope everything gets sorted for you :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭WalkswithDeath

Archeron wrote:
    Hi,
    If anyone out there could give me some advice, I'd be grateful.
    A family member is suffering from Arthritis, and is essentially unable to walk. we need to invest in some equipment to help her in her daily life such as support bars for the bathroom, commode, items to help wash etc. Can anyone recommend any places that sell this type of equipment? It doesnt seem to be the easiest of products to find.

thanks in advance.
    get in touch with the Irish wheelchair association u might be entitled to a grant
    they also have list of stores around which carter for your needs

good suggestion WalkswithDeath here's they're site;

Irish Wheelchair Association
    http://www.iwa.ie/

Advertisement