Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many 180's have you had?

• 12-12-2005 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

How many 180's have you had?
    Only the one for myself, great feeling.
    Middle of a game against a friend of mine (he's not too bad, scores 180's now and again).
    Always used to beat me, this time I was matching him, even out scoring him, dart for dart.
    Each time he scored 80, I'd score 100. He'd score 120, I'd score 120.
    The first time I felt "in the zone".
    Then bang, bang, bang - 180, without even thinking (probably why I'd scored it in the first place).
    If I had a euro for every dart I'd thrown to get the third treble 20 (and missed) I'd be a rich man...

How many times do you do it? 161 votes

Never thrown 180
    0% 0 votes
    Just the once
    45% 73 votes
    2-4
    22% 36 votes
    Can't remember, often occurance...
    32% 52 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have still never thrown a 180 which is the most annoying thing in the world. I always get a big rush of blood to the head when I get the first two in and proceed to mess up the last dart. If I could just not think about it and throw the dart straight away im sure I could get it in but as of yet I havent managed it.

I have had a 170 finish before against my mate in the last leg of a match that we had €50 bet on so that was fairly satisfying, but still no 180 :mad:

I think im going to go home now and keep playing until I get one :D

I've thrown 6. It took me a few years to get my first one, and then I got my second one in the following game. :) (Didn't win the tournament though. :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Kingp35 (the Peter Crouch of the dart world) :D:D - what type of darts do you use?
    Are they onions or fat shafted?
    Better chance of throwing a 180 with the skinny darts...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

BigCon wrote:
    Kingp35 (the Peter Crouch of the dart world) :D:D - what type of darts do you use?
    Are they onions or fat shafted?
    Better chance of throwing a 180 with the skinny darts...

They are a set of 24g unicorn darts and no the barrel on them isnt that thick at all or the shafts, but saying that I do tend to get the first two in and then the last will the hit flight of one of the others or something and just miss. It has happened to me countless times.

I resent being called Peter Crouch by the way :D

Fair play Aristotle by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

just th one for myself as well, what a brilliant feling though!!:D

• Advertisement

mchurl wrote:
    just th one for myself as well, what a brilliant feling though!!:D

Yeah and that was against me!! still beat you though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The first time I threw a 180 I was about 15 and I left the darts in the board for about 3 months! I had missed with my third dart on about a hundred occassions over the previous year or so, so when I finally got it, it was just elation! Joint world record holder of the highest score with 3 darts :D

I've lost count of the number I've now thrown in total - but its always in practice (I'd say I average one 180 for every 10 hours of play - not quite ready for the pros!!) - I've never thrown one in a match because I rarely play any darts matches :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I play for a darts team so get them regularly enough, although of late not in matches only in practice. there is no better feeling than throwing one in a match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Just the one myself, out the back practicing, thought I'd Hit treble 1 with my first dart hit then two treble 20's only noticed when I'd got to the board that I'd hit the big 180.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Kingp35 wrote:
    Yeah and that was against me!! still beat you though :D

the shock of hitting a 180 affected my concentration and throw:p

• Advertisement

I finally hit my first 180 today!! :D It was a long time coming but im sure it wont be the last!

Could someone edit the poll please :cool:

Congrats Kingp35! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

swalsh wrote:
    I play for a darts team so get them regularly enough,

Same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wouldnt be the greatest player but was playing the other night with a few college mates, told I played a little... threw one 180 and 3 140s, they think Im a pro now. Was my first 180, felt good must admit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The trick to hitting 180s is to not think about it.

Darts are all about focus and at the same time relaxing. You'll do your head in worrying about every single darts. Sometimes they go in and sometimes they don't. When you get to the point where you realise that, then you'll see more of them going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

hi there would playing and watching darts,i have hit countless 180,s but it can be a while between them,also have many 140,s.
    once or twice hit big outs,once checked out on 144, 2 treble 60,s x12.
    i,ve checked out a fe big scores.

i,ve been to kells in kilkenny to see chris mason play,also seen rocket ronnie baxter doing pub exihibition.
    i don,t play for a dart team or play in any comps,but i would love to.

My tally is now up to 4. Im slowly getting better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

I've hit 8 or 9 with 3 different sets of darts, all 24 or 25g. Got one with a set of half pints, which was nice given how thick they are. I've also hit 171 (3 x t19) and my personal favourite, 171 (t20 + t19 + t18).

Kingp35 wrote:
    My tally is now up to 4. Im slowly getting better :D

8 months later and I have only hit a further 2 180's. Im wondering if im getting better at all. Darts can be very frustrating stuff!

I averaged 49.96 beating my mate in a best of 5 set match the other night. Dunno if that is even pub standard darts yet. Ill stick with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

I hit my fifth ever only yesterday and lost the leg!:eek: . I must admit that I have an awful tendency to hit 5 rather than 20. I rarely seem to hit 1. Im finding it hard to erradicate it from my game, its becoming very annoying. Any suggestions on what needs to be tweeked?? (stance, follow through, throwing style)

• Advertisement

RedPeppers wrote:
    I hit my fifth ever only yesterday and lost the leg!:eek: . I must admit that I have an awful tendency to hit 5 rather than 20. I rarely seem to hit 1. Im finding it hard to erradicate it from my game, its becoming very annoying. Any suggestions on what needs to be tweeked?? (stance, follow through, throwing style)

Im the same as you. I hit so many 5's its not right. I hit more treble 5's than I do treble 20's at the moment and its very frustrating. I think you just gotta mess around with your stance and find on that suits you best. I find if I arch my back slightly then I can throw the dart straighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I've had 6 or 7 180s by now I'd say.

Not playing so much these days, but picked em up the other day for the first time in months and had a 155 (3x20, then 19's route) checkout and and 112 checkout a couple of games later.

The more you try (as opposed to practice), the harder it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

Kingp35 wrote:
    Im the same as you. I hit so many 5's its not right. I hit more treble 5's than I do treble 20's at the moment and its very frustrating. I think you just gotta mess around with your stance and find on that suits you best. I find if I arch my back slightly then I can throw the dart straighter.
    Thats a similar stance to mine,i find it keeps the dart straight.As well as trying out different stances you can try different lenght stems and flights to see if that makes a difference.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Casual home player, alright standard but never a 180.... threw a couple of 160's before, hitting Tops when going for the third treble 20 which shows the level of panic...

Well this year, just messing about at home I threw a 180 for the first time.... then managed a second one about an hour later! Both were almost identical too - the first dart to the right, 2nd right on top leaving loads of room to the left and managed to relax enough not to spoon.

Just noticed from the pictures i took with the phone that it was Halloween night..... hmmmmmm

Not even close to one since either....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Not enough is my answer.

I haven't hit any in league games yet, or in tournaments.

I've hit about 8 or 9 in practice games either in the pub or at home

Finally hit a 180 with the new set of darts I bought a few months back. Just when I'd consigned to throwing them out when I get my new set from Santa....

Finally hit a 180 with the new set of darts I bought a few months back. Just when I'd consigned to throwing them out when I get my new set from Santa....

What kind of darts is Santa bringing you?

Well thats the thing - I havent got a clue what to go for.

My current ones are Winmau bought in Argos.

So my only two conditions were, Unicorn and Tungsten. I'm sure Santa will pick the right set!

I just picked up the Phil Taylor 95% Set in argos this week and they seem pretty nice to me at least.... nice and slim, 23 or 24g which is fine for me too..., 3 sets of flights and a couple of spare sets of shafts too and flight protectors...
    Nothing amazing to report but have got a couple of 3 dart 101's which is nifty for me ;)
    I splashed out and got a new Eclipse Pro board and also a red surround to protect (hide) the wall.... feels like Purfleet at home lol

Dart set was €26.99 argos link

• Advertisement

Where did you get your surround Licksy and how much was it?

I heard that they are pretty expensive.

I got the lot in argos, its expensive at €42.99 but it certainly works, not that I'd ever be throwing out there you know...
    It's a soft rubbery plastic and holds anything thrown at it... it is a bit loud, bright red but it's ok for the moment anyway.
    I wasn't mad about any of the cabinets i've seen lately and may change it if I come across a cabinet I really like in the future.

Here's an argos link to everything they do in darts

Thanks, think I might get Santa to bring me a surround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

just the one 180 for me along time ago just feel too much pressure when the first two go in and then it all goes wrong:o

Nailed my 3rd one today, it's funny how much more relaxed I was having had 180's previously...
    Nice start to the new year (with the phil taylor set from argos)

Good work Licksy. Your right, once you hit your first then you dont feel as much pressure when you see the first two going in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane190

i never hit one, jus a few 140's

Shane190 wrote:
    i never hit one, jus a few 140's

Stick at it, you will get it. Best feeling in the world when you hit your first. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

oh triple one why do you mock me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane190

Ahhhhhh i finally hit one:D:D:D i have lost count of how many times in the last week or so that i got the first 2 darts in and then ballooned the last one. Its a wonderful feeling when you get one.

Here is a picture of the magical moment..lol:D:D:D:D

Fair play Shane. Lets hope you hit loads more of them now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭RadioGaGa

I'm useless at darts but one night everything clicked and i hit those three darts with Phil Taylor precision! complete fluke but felt so good at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Just the once, a couple of years back, left the darts in the bed for about 3 days so i could show everyone that came to visit - non believers of course:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bobflatley

I've got quite a few. They tend to come in bunches when I am playing well and with confidence. At one point early last year I was hitting 3-4 a week but my level of all round play was quite high at the time. I was running well in the Co. qualifiers and finishing in 18-21 darts regularly. Then I had a confidence slump due to a couple of bad games and the 180's dried up.
    The point is when you are playing well you will hit them if you are confident and relaxed especially after you have hit the first 5 or so. It sounds strange to someone that has only hit one or two but it does lose its status as the thing to do in time.
    I stopped counting them after five. What I found after those first few was that the rest of the leg I played crap and lost about four of the first game scenarios that I hit 180 in. Effectively the 180 became more important and satisfying than winning the game, a resting on the laurels kind of effect.
    Fortunately I have recovered from that now. While hitting 180 in a game is great I would prefer to finish a solid leg in 18 darts than hit a 180 followed by 26/15 and lose in 27 darts. Now I use 180's as a confidence spur and generally come back with 60+ score on the next three.
    The first few are the hardest to hit. Concentrate on consistency and grouping and you will soon be getting close. Let the third dart go without stopping to think and I guarantee that if you are a decent player they will come and they do get easier.
    To all those who haven't hit one yet good luck and persevere, you'll surprise yourself in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Spaznet

I have hit 2 180's in the year to 18 months i've been playing. I dont consider myself much of a dart player the only person I really ever play against is my brother. The thing with me is being SO inconsistant I might hit a 140 and then follow that up with a 30 or something, VERY frustrating. And my best game was 15darts then I'll follow it up with a 30dart game. Pisses me off. I like watching Darts on TV but being here in America there really isn't too much on.

The first time I hit 180 I didn't no the rules(How high the board had to be, and how far back), so dont no if that one counts or not. The second one I hit was on Monday of this week. Happened very quick all lined up TIGHT in there. If I pause even for a moment I screw it up so right when I hit the first two in there i immediately threw my 3rd dart and it went in there perfectly. Both were done in practice, like I said I dont play many games.

I am still very new to darts but love playing hopefully I can join a team when I get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Got my first one a couple of days ago. Moment I'll never forget.

I'd never played Darts (aside from maybe one piss-take game a year if a mate had a board moping around his house at a party or something) til I got my board three weeks ago.

Since then, been practising for a couple of hours a day at least. The 180 made it all worthwhile.

I'm a very relaxed, rhythmic player (at least in practise, I'll probably **** myself if I step up), so when the first couple went into the very right hand corner of the treble I just picked up the third and knew before I even threw the dart it was going in.

Chucked it and sure enough it landed in the opposite side of the treble. My parents were stunned when they heard me yelling, "ONE HUNDRED AND EIIIIIIGHTY" from upstairs. I then ran for my cameraphone to photograph the evidence.

Unfortunately though, I'd only gotten about an hour's practise in by then so had to take them out and keep playing. Hasn't happened for me since but I'm confident now that I know it's in me to get one, so here's hoping it'll become a regular occurence from now on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Got my first one a couple of days ago. Moment I'll never forget.

I'd never played Darts (aside from maybe one piss-take game a year if a mate had a board moping around his house at a party or something) til I got my board three weeks ago.

Since then, been practising for a couple of hours a day at least. The 180 made it all worthwhile.

I'm a very relaxed, rhythmic player (at least in practise, I'll probably **** myself if I step up), so when the first couple went into the very right hand corner of the treble I just picked up the third and knew before I even threw the dart it was going in.

Chucked it and sure enough it landed in the opposite side of the treble. My parents were stunned when they heard me yelling, "ONE HUNDRED AND EIIIIIIGHTY" from upstairs. I then ran for my cameraphone to photograph the evidence.

Unfortunately though, I'd only gotten about an hour's practise in by then so had to take them out and keep playing. Hasn't happened for me since but I'm confident now that I know it's in me to get one, so here's hoping it'll become a regular occurence from now on!

leggo wrote:

The first one is always the hardest one to hit Leggo. It took me a while to hit mine because I would always bottle the last dart. I have hit loads since the first one though and I'm sure will be same for you. Great feeling when you see the three darts go into the treble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 benfaqwa

This is gonna soind like a show off now. I used to count but stopped when i got to 50. Must have hit well over a hundred now. Have hit back to back 180s only once though!

been playing 4 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 beastie bhoy

i get at least 1 every day.
    i recentely got 1 against the hitman gary welding in the event in killarney.
    i went mad it was great:D
    even though he beat me 4 - 0 i averaged about 88 against him but he averaged 105 i was over the moon.:p

Hit two in a row last night for the first time, thought I was going to hit a 9 darter! Sadly my 7th dart was a single 1, only a slight difference :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement