Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to upgrade my alarm

Options
  • 12-12-2005 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

hey all,
    Ive had a look at the previous threads regarding alarms, but havent seen any definitive results/opinions
    Im thinking of wireless for ease of install, but what are the sensors like?
    Are the much bulkier?
    I reckon Id need
    6 magnetic contacts
    11 vibration sensors
    2 PIRS
    control pad
    interior sonic/alarm
    base station
    exterior box/bell/light
    possibly a txt or call system

Anyone know some good suppliers? I hear Aritech are pretty good.
    How much am I looking at for the above items, wireless/wired?

How technical do I need to be to this?
    Im replacing a current system so I guess the power supply/wires is all in place
    (for control panel/base/exterior box)

Thx as always

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Where are you/the property based?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

sorry, property is in Dublin South

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I used Boss security. They are based near Naas co. Kildare.
    Although the were not the cheapest (and also not the most expensive), I found them very good. Very neat work. I have had to call them twice afterwards (Once when a box I was carrying knocked the keypad off the wall and set the alarm going at 10:30pm, and I no longer had a keypad to unset it!!!) and had no trouble contacting them and resolving.

BOSS Alarms & CCTV 3 Castlesize Grove Sallins Kildare 045 896905

tbh I want to investigate installing it myself.
    Looking at the price of some systems and then the price of an "all in" job is crazy.
    Unless I am missing a vital part of the picture is just hooking up wires to a main board and then programming the board.
    Im a software engineer with some regular DIY experience so Id prefer to go DIY if I can.
    Wireless appeals to me because it means I dont have to mess about with chasing wires and under floorboards and all that jazz, but if it comes down to it (mainly if the wireless alarms are crap and/or the sensors are very large) I will go wired.

Thx,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

GreeBo wrote:
    tbh I want to investigate installing it myself.
    Looking at the price of some systems and then the price of an "all in" job is crazy.
    Unless I am missing a vital part of the picture is just hooking up wires to a main board and then programming the board.
    Im a software engineer with some regular DIY experience so Id prefer to go DIY if I can.
    Wireless appeals to me because it means I dont have to mess about with chasing wires and under floorboards and all that jazz, but if it comes down to it (mainly if the wireless alarms are crap and/or the sensors are very large) I will go wired.

Thx,

http://www.easylife.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_42&products_id=32

this is the one i installed piece of cake. Have it in for a year. Mostly PIRS and door magnetics. This one can be programmed to call you once you it activated or 4 other numbers. you can activiate it remoteley and you can switch it off remotely. you can listen into the house as well, to hear the place being ripped apart. !!!. So far so good. Its multizone. Basically you set one entry exit zone. and then you can zone the downstairs, the upstairs. Whatever you like. you basically set a binary code on each pir and magnet. youll have no problem doing it......The outside bellbox, is charged via zolar, and i test it about once a month. the internal PIRS are powered by battery. i tihnk have them in 2 years now, and havent changed. the onyl power you need is to the code entry unit. which also has a built in redialler. Eircom phone watch quoeted by 2k for my house. think i got it done for over 500 euro.

• Advertisement

Hey thanks for the link, looks quite good.

Does anyone know if its possible to just have the sensors wire free and have the external box hardwired?
    Or is that they way it is normally done?
    I just want to save chasing/drilling through my "internal" walls, attic/etc I dont care.

also, Can you adjust that alarm to make more than one zone/sensor an exit/entrance zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

GreeBo wrote:
    Hey thanks for the link, looks quite good.

Does anyone know if its possible to just have the sensors wire free and have the external box hardwired?
    Or is that they way it is normally done?
    I just want to save chasing/drilling through my "internal" walls, attic/etc I dont care.

also, Can you adjust that alarm to make more than one zone/sensor an exit/entrance zone?

you can adjust any zone to be entry exit. the zone is set by modify 3 jumpers on the PIR. They only fault i have with this one, is that when i Arm the alarm, it doesnt flash outside. probably to save battery. If you get onto that crowd id say you can wire the outside bellbox and work the rest wireless. you dont want to start chasing out walls man!!. You can get a strobe for outside bellbox but that only lights when its activiated. there is a panic button on this as well as remote control. the automatic dialer is great though..

thx
    from what I hear its not super hard to wire in some flashing LEDS
    I remember doing it in school
    Its mainly finding a source that only has power when the system is armed and then a small PCB and some resistors/LEDs

If I get the system and get it setup Ill send you the details!

Anyone else got any recs/reviews?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Have you been on www.****.com?, its forum is over on www.**** and i think is run by beller b who is a regular on here. I'm sure he would be able to recommand some makes and models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

www.****.com is right

• Advertisement

thx, as an update I went with 4 Garden & Security

I could not recommend them to anyone I would have to face again.
    Search this forum for a blow by blow account.

Advertisement