Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dell Axim X51v

• 12-12-2005 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Just ordered an Axim online, 624MHz version. Got it with extra 512Mb SD Card, car charger, leather cover, games CD for €505 inc VAT & delivery. Said it would be delivered before Dec 23rd... :) I wonder what it will be like to browse the Internet with? Have a wireless network at home, just need to setup the office now...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

check out www.pdaportal.com for PDA Friendly site links

Opera are supposed to launch their mobile browser for the Pocket PC in the near future (with it's Small Sceen Rendering ) making for better browsing on smaller screens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

I paid E500 for mine a month ago, no extras. :(

But I'm happy anyway as it's a really nice unit even though Win 2005 is still a little flakey. ROM is upfradable though, and Dell publish updates frequently for their PDA's - one update already for the x51v.

The 640*480 screen is nice but that doesn't mean 4 times the screen real estate - the extra res is used to make the text look sharp (and damn is it sharp)

I also bought a screen protector and aluminium case from Brando Workshop.

One thing - the standard battery is crap, that's it's only failing in my eyes.

rabbit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gorm

I have a X50V and love it. Surfing the net is ok but PDA friendly sites (some sites have pages designed for PDAs) are fine. I use rte and bbc for news. WB is right, the std battery doesn't last long. I have have an additional hi-power one which is better. I also use it for GPS and viewing movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

How long are you getting out of the battery when web browsing via Wi-Fi?

Haven't done any tests as I tend to turn it off when not using and pop it the recharger every day. Once setup just turing on the PDA reconnects to the network. I'll try the std battery tomorrow if I get a chance. (I use it at work on the net).

• Advertisement

Did a quick test yesterday with std battery. 40mins surfing caused the battery to go from 100% to 70% full, so I guess no more than 100mins before needing a recharge.

Thanks for that gorm...

It arrived today @ 6pm. Charging it up, couldn't resist playing with it before fully charged!!!

Wow, I mean WOW...I've used PDA's before, I used to have Palm Pilots which were great, but this is no comparisson whatsoever...

The Wi-Fi Internet connection, viewing the company website which is not designed for smal screens at all looked great, have scroll around a bit. But the resolution is remarkable.

Blown away...

I'm supposed to put it away until Christmas now...:rolleyes:

Just trying it out to see what its like to post with... not bad at all!

Glad you like it. Found one 'operational' hitch so far. If I progam in an reminder and then forget about it, when the time comes, it turns itself on for the reminder and stays on until I turn it off. This means you could completley discharge the battery without knowing it, if its not near by. Belive me, I've done it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Dell Axim X51v
    hey was thinking of getting one of these, 20% off, and boss pays vat

thing is will I use it ?

I want to take notes access notes at class (law, computer tuition etc)

can I carry say computer class worksheets (I tutor) on SD card ?

and accessing the interent on a PDa ...erm how do you do that !!
    (I've broadband thro chorus cable on the lappie)

and PDA software you see on ebay , games apps etc, can I load them on a Dell just as easily as you would another PDA 9if you know what I mean)

thanks for the advice folks

I need to decide this pm while boss still in good mood

other option is a refurbished lifedrive from luzerntech on ebay
    any option on the lifedrive, or indeed on lugerntech, any experience of buying from ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Browsing the WWW for any sort of extended period is not a good idea - it's tolerable in Landscape mode.

@Hmm_Messiah:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50553463&postcount=2

Lush wrote:
    The Wi-Fi Internet connection, viewing the company website which is not designed for smal screens at all looked great, have scroll around a bit. But :

mine arrived today 342 after boss paid vat :) but have not opened (is my xmas pressy to me

thanks karma for the reply in other thread

have a few q's if Ok:

browsing net/here thro Wifi, I don't understand ...are you connecting to your pc and using the pc's internet connection or wat?

batteries on ebay, with great rated ebayers (eg 8000 feedback) much risk in buying them ? dells extra battery is 90e plus vat.

Also does X50 stuff fit the x51, cases etc etc (and batteries !!)

and (possibly stupidly) SD cards .. same size as the ones in my digital cam (there are 2 sizes of SD cards right ? )

and Compact Flash cards, as file storage, these are a bad idea ??

Finally any tips, links etc for some one new to PDAs, send them on pls

thanks for the patience

looking forward to playing xmas morning

some answers:

1. - wifi - easiest done using a wireless router/adsl modem. PDA treated as just another PC.

2. X51V is X50v with WM5 and more memory, so h/w things for X50 should do X51

3. sd cards, std Sd cards can be used, nothing special

4. Cf cards , I'm neutral. Could use CF slot for GPS receiver

5. try http://www.aximsite.com for starters as its dedicated to Axims.

appreciate that gorm

no probs have fun.
    On the battery front I did buy a dell extended battery and while it really does last alot longer, it sticks out the back of the PDA. You get a different battery cover to use with it.

thanks for all the replies, i've not got to play with this as wanted to wait for screen protectors to arrive.

a few q's, maybe stupid as ive not had time to read over everything

1. is there easier way to enter in excel other than keyboard?

2. trying now to justify the cost to myself, maybe people could list wat they use their pda's for or uses inot obvious to me :)

3. wireless /email. can i set this up to use in hotspot areas or watever theyre called, eg cafe hotels.
    also my bbAND IS CHORUS cable (in the wro ng room) would really appreciate an idea of what i should buy. have seen roouters etc on komplett/ebay but not to sure what i need (ASDL router ok for cable etc) and which wireless card to get for lappie (PCMCIA) . Any advice (links to images even I'd a ppreciate)

finally, i know this sounds silly; a mate offered to buy off me, like I siad have not used yet except to view fotos and xls off sd card, . If I gput time into it sync, etc would I find this a useful gadget ? :) (I know its an odd question, just credit card bill frowns at me)

oh abd screen protectors, i got ones that almost fit screen, and daxim specific ones? and how often should i change to protect screen (presuming I get to use it alot/daily as intened)

thanks a lot for the patience

1. huh? You can use block and letter recognizers (you'll have to press ENTER still).. or alternative input (Commercial software) Calligrapher.

2. Games.Notes/ToDo.Games.Calendar.Games.Voice recorder.Games.WiFi/net. survey.Games.E-Mail,IRC and WWW.Games.Dictionary and thesaurus.Games.Watching copies of DVD or streaming video/audio across a network.Oh,and sometimes i play the odd game of something or another..
    You could also try Skype on it.

3. You should be able to check your mail via web,or POP3 (Using the built-in email client) -provided they allow you.. in short: Yes is the answer. However, I would point out that your email is most likely transferred in plaintext,so anyone who's monitoring may be able to read your email and passwords with ease.

Probably best to look for recommendations in the Comp - Wireless forum,tbh.

As often as needed as far as i know.. i keep meaning to get Martin Fields overlays + USB cable + a case from eBay..bah...

Ultimately, you're the only one who can work out whether he should keep it or sell it..

i use mine as my only 'gadget' when i'm away, so as well as 'normal' uses it also serves as a mp3, video player, book and gps.

Karoma wrote:
    1. huh? You can use block and letter recognizers (you'll have to press ENTER still).. or alternative input (Commercial software) Calligrapher.

Thanks for the replies, i've been sick (flu) and i think the fever is affecting my thinking straight?

ive sync'ed it to the pc now and see some nice possibilities

but karoma I DON'T understand wat u mean by letter regocognisers for typing in excel ?....would like to avoid buyoing software like calligrapher and invest in dsd cards, wirell home netwotrk

also i bought a pda games disc from Dell but a message comes up "THe Windows Installer servce cannot be accessed...." I've googled and tried hthe microsoft remedies but no success :(

The Installer error is an OS issue (ed: Just noticed you asked in another,more appropriate forum-we'll leave TS'ing to there) [Confirm that it is an OS issue,and not just the disc by un/installing something else]

Open Excel
    And for input.. Look down in the bottom-right extremity of the screen with the little icon for the keyboard. click the ^ (arrow facing upward) that's right next to it [At least, it is in WM2003,on an X50] - and choose block or letter recognizer. You should see the input being entered at the very top (next fx..)
    As stated before, you'll have to hit the Return/Enter key provided or tap the tick-mark..

• Advertisement

appreciate that, seen the block recogniser come up when i stayed on keyboard icon a while

really am a bit delerious and was anxious to know everything at once

the installer thing is only with the dell game

have tried all the remedies but maybe when more coherent will have success

things like that niggle me til i find a solution

thanx again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Goto www.aximsite.com for all your answers.

Just thought I'd mention I bought an extended life battery (2200) and cover for 23 euro on Ebay (as against 99euro on Dell)

So far it works fine (though I still have not found time to make full use of the PDA :( )

Advertisement