Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave Latency

• 12-12-2005 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm considering getting ripwave(basically because i have NO other options), im based in the city centre,

I'm just wondering what latency i could expect from ripwave, so if you are using ripwave just do a ping to www.boards.ie and post up ur result.

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I've heard ripwave is awful. Where in the city centre are you? Why do you say no other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Get Clearwire, if your out for good pings you won't see it on a ripwave unit, i've tested it!

Got it for a week but sent it back as i couldn't get a green signal at home, didn't cost anything because i sent it back in time

20662.JPG

Speed test if you get a good green signal
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/57422/20663.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

I wouldn't recommend it, I've had it for a few months and at first it was resonably good but slow in comparsion to other DSL options. The best I ever got was 320k normally 180-220k (yet IBB list Ripave as a 512k speed).

In the last few weeks my data speed has ground to a hault, with very bad speeds (see attachment) worse than dial-up. As regards support is almost a waste of time trying to contact them.

And for your information, I'm close to the city centre.

I would suggest to go for either - Smarttelecom.ie, Imagine.ie, U.TV or anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Well these are the reasons i have no alternatives,
    1: I’m not in student accommodation so no phone lines are allowed to be installed, nor are any aerials allowed to be erected.
    2: NTL have told me that the signal strength for NTL bb is too weak so that isn't an option.

Advertisement