Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City & Guilds 1820

Options
  • 12-12-2005 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering if anybody here has done the City & Guilds 1820, Parts 1 & 2? I was doing it in a studio in Dublin but I managed to screw it up, missed alot of classes for certain reasons I won't go into. So I was told I had failed Part 1, but I could continue and get Part 2, or I could just restart the whole thing next year.

Just wondering what Part 2 would be like without having done pretty much all of Part 1. Would it be difficult having not done Part 1 to understand Part 2? Is there even much point in having City & Guilds Part 2 without the first part? Would you recommend I just try it again next year?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Did 1,2 and 3. To be honest, it's largely a waste of time unless you're doing it somewhere you can spend a lot of time doing practical work, because the theory isn't worth a **** if you don't know how to set up a mic or route a channel through a desk (and I know people who breezed through all 3 parts without being able to do either). There isn't too much in part 2 that isn't covered in part 1, though if you don't know part 1, no offence man but it's incredibly straightforward, you need to know that stuff backwards before you try anything even semi-advanced.

If you'll be doing a lot of practical work, go for it and commit yourself to working hard at it, if not, you might be better off just buying a rig and some books and doing it at home. Invest the money in yourself rather than whatever college you choose. The qualification isn't really worth the paper it's printed on, in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Thanks for the reply man. Yeah, from what I did of Part 1 it was really nothing I didn't already know from being in a studio a few times, gigging and pricking around at home. Unfortunately I was stupid enough to pay the cost of the full year in one lump sum at the start of the year, so one way or another I'll be doing the course.

I'd just feel completely robbed if I paid the full amount and only got Part 2, so I guess I answered my own question. Reckon I'll try it again next September, and in the meantime get some work experience in a studio or at a venue. Probably venue, don't know any studio engineers.

Pain in the bollix. I'll be 23 by the time I've got 1 & 2, some people in that course were 17. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Yeah, from what I did of Part 1 it was really nothing I didn't already know from being in a studio a few times, gigging and pricking around at home. Unfortunately I was stupid enough to pay the cost of the full year in one lump sum at the start of the year, so one way or another I'll be doing the course.

Let me guess, Pulse? I could have written the exact same paragraph tbh... apart from the last sentence:(

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

you're better off offering to work in a studio free for a year. any kind of studio. local radio, tv, multimedia... city and guilds isn't worth the paper it's printed on. your other option is to teach yourself. there's tonns of resources out there.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

LundiMardi wrote:
    Let me guess, Pulse? I could have written the exact same paragraph tbh... apart from the last sentence:(

Yep! ;)

Yeah sturgo that's what I plan on doing, just get some work experience really, try to set up some kinda home setup aswell which I've been meaning to do anyway. No harm in doing the course again anyway, even if the "qualification" does mean jack all.

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Is there *any* recognised qualification you can do by correspondance in this country relating to Music Technology etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

qualifications aren't worth anything in the Irish Music Industry. It's all about experience and who you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Bit mad. I spoke to a guy who said that he cant get any engineering jobs cos he hasnt got any qualifications/papers in that area! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

daram wrote:
    qualifications aren't worth anything in the Irish Music Industry. It's all about experience and who you know.

That's the truth.

Advertisement