Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco plans to enter Irish mobile market

Options
  • 12-12-2005 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

http://www.telegeography.com/cu/article.php?article_id=10243&email=html
    Retail giant Tesco is at an advanced stage of negotiations with O2 Ireland concerning the planned launch of an MVNO service, according to the Sunday Times. The deal is expected to result in a 50/50 joint venture that will mirror the supermarket chain’s UK MVNO service. The new operator, expected to be branded Tesco Mobile, could become Ireland’s sixth mobile service, alongside market leaders Vodafone and O2, 2G operator Meteor Mobile, 3G cellco H3G and the newly licensed Smart Telecom.

Should be interesting to see how this turns out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Tesco would be a really welcome new entrant. They're quite capable of shaking up the mobile market in a big way and have the retail ability to take on Vodafone and O2 .

It should help to drive prices down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

another thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Nice to see new operators comimg onto to scene, but can Tesco really offer competition to Vodafone and O2 ? I would assume that 02 would not be very happy if a company piggy-backing on their network was under-cutting them on price, thereby forcing 02 into reducing prices. Pity Tesco were not getting into the fixed line business. In the U.K. they offer "real" flat rate, anytime dial-up internet for £12.99 pm. (less than 20 euro). Certainly would beat Eircons "Flat-Rate (but not really !!)" rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Part of 3's license is that they HAVE to allow MVNOs. I don't know why no one seems interested yet.

I presume there is a clause in all the mobile operators licenses that means they have to support MVNO's, not just 3's. I can only assume that delay in it happening over here compared to the UK must be due to the strength of those clauses or the relative strengths and willpowers of the UK and Ireland regulators. (ie I assume ComReg are being pussies again)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

No, it was specifically part of the 'A' 3G license which 3 won.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Tesco MVNO 'story' is well timed and designed primarily to increase Comreg discomfiture over at the ECAP while O2 and Vodafone appeal their designation as SMP operators this week.

The timing is most important

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I presume there is a clause in all the mobile operators licenses that means they have to support MVNO's, not just 3's. I can only assume that delay in it happening over here compared to the UK must be due to the strength of those clauses or the relative strengths and willpowers of the UK and Ireland regulators. (ie I assume ComReg are being pussies again)
    I doubt it is in all their licences. Remember Imagine!? They ran on the Eircell network, but after a while Eircell suddenly decided to pull the rug out from under them and stop providing the service.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    The Tesco MVNO 'story' is well timed and designed primarily to increase Comreg discomfiture over at the ECAP while O2 and Vodafone appeal their designation as SMP operators this week.

The timing is most important

Very good point.

Are meteor appealing coz the ruling didnt go far enough I wonder /OT

Advertisement