Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to this

• 12-12-2005 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

hearing a bit about voip and thinking of changing

current system
    bb - 512/128 btireland thats 33 a month
    d-link router/switch dunno what you call it
    zyxel bb router modem thing

Will defnitally be upgrading the bb connection if we're getting rid of the phone lines prob go with smart digital cable connection anyway have any other suggestions

do i need any extra hardware for voip and what way does it work can i get a number that people can call and can i use the existing phones/phonelines around the house or what

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Hi,

Ok, let me be the first (of many probably!) to recommend www.blueface.ie . They would be your VoIP provider, i've been using them for a good few months now (8ish).

You will need a device called an ATA. This converts your analogue (normal) telephone, so you can use it over your broadband. Basically it's a small box that connects your current phone to your "d-link router/switch dunno what you call it" .

Once you get that you can try Blueface Pay as You go, just to see if you are happy with the quality etc. If you are you can choose to subscribe, for €10 a month you get loads of minutes (not sure how many, check their website) you will also get a landline number (you can port your current Eircom number to them if you wish). The will also provide you with an 076 number that other VoIP user can call you on for free.

Edit: If you completely switch to VoIP and ditch Eircom only one phone socket in the house will be in use really. Because for example if you have a phone socket in your bedroom and plug in a phone it will not run through Blueface . To overcome this most people by a pair of cordless phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

if i were to run a cable from the ata box to the telephone box (its right outside the window) replacing the landline would it not work the same or does it only work with one phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

if i were to run a cable from the ata box to the telephone box (its right outside the window) replacing the landline would it not work the same or does it only work with one phone.

To be honest - I don't know

I dont think so. But im not sure so i dont want to advise ya eitheir way. Someone will know!

I have a feeling it would require more expensive equipment to run all your phone sockets through VoIP.

The more I think about it, suppose it might work.

Any easier questions for me!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I had thought about this and I think it would work. In my parents house one phone line comes in and then goes around the house. I assume if it was a VOIP line coming in the same would work. It is really just the same as using a splitter. Maybe Aaron or someone could shed some light.

to put it in more simple terms can you connect more than one phone to the ata using a splitter or whatever conneting to the box is just for convience

for upgrading broadband im looking into getting chorus 3mb connection coupled with the analouge tv has anyone any experience with this

what plans are everyone using on blueface and do they provide you with the ata box or do you get it yourself and how expensive are they

• Advertisement

Blueface are doing an offer 99 euro free ATA and 6 months free calls to Ireland & UK. Ask them about your set up too. http://www.blueface.ie

yeah was looking at it the calls are free to all land lines right i cant remember was it free or unlimited and im guessing there's a very big difference and it doesnt apply to mobiles

can i keep my existing 056776...... number or get it fowarded or something or is this going to cost alot of money

the idea basically behind this is to save a whole load of money but then use all that on upgrading the boradband connetion to 3mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

paulm17781 wrote:
    I had thought about this and I think it would work. In my parents house one phone line comes in and then goes around the house. I assume if it was a VOIP line coming in the same would work. It is really just the same as using a splitter. Maybe Aaron or someone could shed some light.
    What comes out of the phone port of an ATA is an analogue electrical signal that is the equivalent of the signal you would get from Eircom. Since it's an analogue signal you can connect as many analogue phones as you want anywhere on the wire.

The only thing you'll need to avoid is having Eircom and an ATA connected to the wire at the same time, it's possible you could do some damage to the equipment at one or the both ends.

Aaron

great so that makes this a whole lot easier. All that left is for chorus to get back to me and i should be switching over as soon as possible.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

can i keep my existing 056776...... number or get it fowarded or something or is this going to cost alot of money

Yes you can port your exisiting eircom number to blueface, but it takes a few weeks - http://www.blueface.ie/support/porting.aspx

If we were all in the UK I'm sure it would be alot faster ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Also being new to VoIP i thought i'd tack on a couple of questions as the earlier posts have cleared up some queries i had.

I'm planning on going wireless with Digiweb 512down/256up. Is there any issues with wireless that would hamper VoIP?

I understand using an ATA to allow your regular phones to work, but how does it work if your PC is off, i.e. is the ATA configured to access your blueface account?

Thanks.

delly wrote:
    I'm planning on going wireless with Digiweb 512down/256up. Is there any issues with wireless that would hamper VoIP?

I understand using an ATA to allow your regular phones to work, but how does it work if your PC is off, i.e. is the ATA configured to access your blueface account?

Wireless depends on the backend. If it is connected to fibre it should be fine. If it is connected to satellite VOIP won't work.

An ATA is like a router. It has to be on but the PC doesn't. All settings are in the ATA not your PC.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thanks for the reply. Now all i have to do is get the broadband and i'll be laughing.

Advertisement