Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Attitudes to the European Constitution

Options
  • 12-12-2005 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello its me again,
    As I said before,I am doing an assignment on, "Irish attitudes to the European Constitution." I want to find out do many citizens know about the Constitution and what are your opinons. You don't have to give your opinion, you can just do the Poll.:)
    Thanks
    Sorry I wanted to get the poll working put cant, is there anyway I can delete this post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I reckon many people will now think it's irrelevant seeing as it failed at the polls in France and the Netherlands.

It's a very long, boring and indecipherable document concerned with a few structural adjustments of the EU to accomodate a few of the new countries as far as I can see - is there anything more to it really? I reckon if they knew exactly what it was, large sections of the population feel it is of little or no relevance to their daily lives. Should there be a referendum here as usual it the debate would be hijacked by the usual suspects of interest groups like the Justin Barrets and anti-abortionists or else it'll focus on national issues rather than European ones.

Personally I don't understand all the fuss about the inclusion of a mention of God or otherwise as in my opinion it's really only a document tidying up all the other treaties which basically are lists of rules about how the EU functions. You wouldn't mention God in the rules of how a tennis club or a private company is to operate so I don't see why he/she should be mentioned in a legal document on the functioning of an economic area?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

he/she should be mentioned in a legal document on the functioning of an economic area?

But is the consititution about the running of an economic area? Or is it about social aspects of society?

Each society in Europe is totally different what is exceptable in one country may not be exceptable in another.

I personally feel that a constitution is about a country and every matter involved in that country. The EU constitution could deny the indivdual differences of each respective indivdual soverign country within the EU.

IMO the EU should be about Economics only.

I would Vote no and would expect that the vote be treated as a no vote.

If their was a poll in the morning and 60% voted no I would expect the government not to ask me the following morning to vote no again. If they did I would be unwilling to partake in such an undemocratic society again. I.e. I would stop voting completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

I'd vote yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I'd vote yes.

Good for you. You hopefully have reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Elmo wrote:
    I would Vote no and would expect that the vote be treated as a no vote.

If their was a poll in the morning and 60% voted no I would expect the government not to ask me the following morning to vote no again. If they did I would be unwilling to partake in such an undemocratic society again. I.e. I would stop voting completely.
    Agreed.
    I'll never forget Nice, my attitude to the EU was at first positive but now negative since Nice occurred. The passing of DRM legislation which was forwarded by the wife of Vivendi boss lost my vote of confidence in european matters.

It just happens that the people of France/Holland had their chance and used it wisely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement