Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Stockbrokers "maintenance fee's"

Options
  • 12-12-2005 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I have an account with a very well know Dublin based stockbroker. I have around 1,000 Eur worth of an ISEQ share in my account.

The share is a penny stock which I won't sell until it becomes ... well ... not a penny stock, which will take a long time, if it ever happens. It's a punt, a bit of fun.

Aside from charging me to buy and sell the shares, they charge me 26 Eur per year in "maintenance fees". For nothing as far as I'm concerned.

I also have stock in the US with ETrade. I get charged no such fees.

Is there an alternative to this gangsterism from my Dublin stockbroker ? Can I move my shares to someone else that wont change me these senseless (as far as I'm concerned) fees.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Tell them you are closing your account with them and you want to hold the share certificates yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

RainyDay wrote:
    Tell them you are closing your account with them and you want to hold the share certificates yourself.

thanks for the reply. if i do this, how do i then sell the shares when it comes to that and will that take a huge amount of time ?

It will take a bit longer, but if you are a long-term investor, what's a few days. You just send in your share certificate to any broker (such as Campbell O'Connor along with your sell order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

RainyDay wrote:
    You just send in your share certificate to any broker (such as Campbell O'Connor along with your sell order.
    I presume you are in no way affiliated with this fine business? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I used to buy certs. Now it's spread trade online instead. no commissions or maintenance fees. much more efficient to enter and exit positions. not for everybody but I like it.

• Advertisement

I presume you are in no way affiliated with this fine business? ;)
    Absolutely not - I've used them a couple of times as a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

RainyDay wrote: »

I have a few hundred euros worth of shares, when I left my job I had to pay for the annual fees myself and it is costing a few quid every year and I am making about 3euro in dividends a year.

is it possible to just hold the certs myself

Advertisement